Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

From Tim Graham in The Athletic 

Although additional calamities may befall McDermott over the next month and half and alter the organization’s plans, four sources familiar with Terry Pegula’s thinking tell The Athletic the Bills’ owner has neither the desire nor plans to make a coaching change.

The sources requested anonymity because they weren’t authorized to speak on the record.

Asked if there was any chance Pegula would fire McDermott, two of the sources replied “Zero.” The other two sources said they would be shocked if Pegula made such a move. All four sources have intimate knowledge of the Pegula-McDermott relationship.

The sources said Pegula still holds McDermott in high regard despite this year’s dip and doesn’t want to meddle with the strong working bond McDermott has with Bills general manager Brandon Beane. The Bills announced in June they had signed McDermott and Beane to contract extensions through 2027.

No surprise there. 

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

From Tim Graham in The Athletic 

Although additional calamities may befall McDermott over the next month and half and alter the organization’s plans, four sources familiar with Terry Pegula’s thinking tell The Athletic the Bills’ owner has neither the desire nor plans to make a coaching change.

The sources requested anonymity because they weren’t authorized to speak on the record.

Asked if there was any chance Pegula would fire McDermott, two of the sources replied “Zero.” The other two sources said they would be shocked if Pegula made such a move. All four sources have intimate knowledge of the Pegula-McDermott relationship.

The sources said Pegula still holds McDermott in high regard despite this year’s dip and doesn’t want to meddle with the strong working bond McDermott has with Bills general manager Brandon Beane. The Bills announced in June they had signed McDermott and Beane to contract extensions through 2027.

100% predictable. No surprises at all. 

Just watched the end of the football game.  I'm confused; you are allowed to stop a team driving for a winning / tying drive under 2 mins to go? 
Watching McDermotts coaching , I thought the best you could do is allow them to drive to the 1 yrd line and then get away with a penalty on the last play of the game to hold onto the win.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Miller’s girlfriend in her call to 911:

“‘My boyfriend is choking and hitting me... I have bruises all over me,’ she can be heard saying. ‘My hair is out.’”

Miller’s girlfriend in a text message with a local reporter:

“‘We’re fine,’ she wrote. ‘Things were blown way out of context. This is actually outrageous!’

She called the incident ‘a huge misunderstanding’ and described it as ‘a verbal disagreement.’ 

‘No one assaulted anyone,’ she texted. ‘This is insane. And sad.’”

Domestic violence has bizarre dynamics, man. In this case, Miller’s wealth probably plays a role as well in influencing this woman to cover up for his violence against her. But even in the absence of money, this sort of thing happens all the time. So strange, and, as she said in her text, sad.

https://www.wfaa.com/amp/article/news/local/buffalo-bills-nfl-von-miller-faces-arrest-in-dallas-texas-domestic-violence-case/287-2904617b-5d0d-4252-a321-28d8f61807f0

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Miller’s girlfriend in her call to 911:

“‘My boyfriend is choking and hitting me... I have bruises all over me,’ she can be heard saying. ‘My hair is out.’”

Miller’s girlfriend in a text message with a local reporter:

“‘We’re fine,’ she wrote. ‘Things were blown way out of context. This is actually outrageous!’

She called the incident ‘a huge misunderstanding’ and described it as ‘a verbal disagreement.’ 

‘No one assaulted anyone,’ she texted. ‘This is insane. And sad.’”

Domestic violence has bizarre dynamics, man. In this case, Miller’s wealth probably plays a role as well in influencing this woman to cover up for his violence against her. But even in the absence of money, this sort of thing happens all the time. So strange, and, as she said in her text, sad.

https://www.wfaa.com/amp/article/news/local/buffalo-bills-nfl-von-miller-faces-arrest-in-dallas-texas-domestic-violence-case/287-2904617b-5d0d-4252-a321-28d8f61807f0

And you're not considering the possibility she made up the story in a fit of rage to get Von in trouble? Recanting the story must be about the money. 

Uh oh I've introduced the possibility that women lie. I accept my fate.

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

In Canada, as far as I know, the cops would arrest and the courts would charge him even if his wife / girlfriend did not want to pursue the matter.

The issue is she said it didn't happen. Is that not enough? Do we still have to cancel Von Miller?

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

And you're not considering the possibility she made up the story in a fit of rage to get Von in trouble? Recanting the story must be about the money. 

The issue is she said it didn't happen. Is that not enough? Do we still have to cancel Von Miller?

You be quite with this crap.  No one is cancelling anyone.  Shameful behavior if he did it.  Seems like there are two very conflicting reports of the incident.  One a dramatic 911 call and another the day (or so) after.

My point is that in Canada it does not matter if she changes her mind after the fact.  If there is sufficient evidence there will be charges brought even if the victim changes their story.

• Thanks (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

The police report reflects that first responders observed and treated the complainant for minor injuries, including bruising on her neck.

Anything is possible, of course. The most likely explanation here (by a mile) is that women battered by men will often recant legitimate accusations once they’ve returned to a place of safety.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

My point is that in Canada it does not matter if she changes her mind after the fact.  If there is sufficient evidence there will be charges brought even if the victim changes their story.

I believe that charges could still be brought if there is sufficient evidence of assault (bruises on her neck, any other eyewitnesses/video, etc.)  However, with her recanting, exactly what happened here would happen it court.  When there's two possible conflicting explanations, that's the definition of reasonable doubt, which favors the defense.

I am bringing a stamp.  Could someone cancel me?

My wife is a survivor of parental abuse, rape, and physical abuse by the guy she was dating before me.  We deal with her PTSD all too frequently.  She has told me how often she was beaten into recanting charges of abuse filed by school counselors.

I personally was accused of sexual misconduct by a student where the eyewitness testimony of 8 people at the chess club attesting to my innocence was not enough to drop the case.  I have that permanent blotch on my record that I have to explain every time it comes up.  It is one of the primary reasons that I will not teach anymore.

Please take the accusations and defences seriously and wait for the facts.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

I am bringing a stamp.  Could someone cancel me?

My wife is a survivor of parental abuse, rape, and physical abuse by the guy she was dating before me.  We deal with her PTSD all too frequently.  She has told me how often she was beaten into recanting charges of abuse filed by school counselors.

I personally was accused of sexual misconduct by a student where the eyewitness testimony of 8 people at the chess club attesting to my innocence was not enough to drop the case.  I have that permanent blotch on my record that I have to explain every time it comes up.  It is one of the primary reasons that I will not teach anymore.

Please take the accusations and defences seriously and wait for the facts.

My sincerest hope is for your wife, you, and all those affected find serenity in life. Very sad to hear this, yet hopeful you all as a family are well, as I believe you work towards it every day.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I’m nervous to event comment on this, but my reaction to the gf report and recant is why it is so important for the professional leagues to have a DV policy in place.  

The financial repercussions of the individuals in an incident like this is enormous. This makes it so important for the league to be proactive. In 24 hours, the complainant went from fear for her safety to fear for her financial future.  That is not a level playing field for victims and it puts them in a fearful situation.  

• Like (+1) 4