Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

Brawndo

34 minutes ago, Night Train said:

General Custer ? 

Why does this McDermott gaff suddenly come out 4-5 years later ? Hmmm..  Someone has it out for him. 

Why would that excuse this? What about McDermott being pissed the wr group bought the wr coach a truck? 

Yes ppl talking about someone's bad behavior towards them do have it out for that person, because that person acted crappy. 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Why would that excuse this? What about McDermott being pissed the wr group bought the wr coach a truck? 

Yes ppl talking about someone's bad behavior towards them do have it out for that person, because that person acted crappy. 

It doesn't and I'm not defending him. Just curious why it happened all this time later. They can fire him for all I care. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Night Train said:

It doesn't and I'm not defending him. Just curious why it happened all this time later. They can fire him for all I care. 

According to my brother, a guy resurrected this story from 2019, Tyler Dunne, a former Buffalo News reporter who no longer has media credentials.  

Dunne has his own show, or blog, or some internet based thing called Go Long.  

He did a three part expose on McD, titled "The McDermott Problem". 

• Part 1 - Blame Game
  • Part 2 - Lost on Translation
  • Part 3 - Let Josh be Josh

So its open season on McD, any guy with a computer can join in.  

I will look at this stuff later tonight but my first thoughts are its a guy with an axe to grind.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

According to my brother, this guy we resurrected this story from 2019, Tyler Dunne, a former Buffalo News reporter who no longer has media credentials.  

Dunne has his own show, or blog, or some internet based thing called Go Long.  

He did a three part expose on McD, titled "The McDermott Problem". 

• Part 1 - Blame Game
  • Part 2 - Lost on Translation
  • Part 3 - Let Josh be Josh

So its open season on McD, any guy with a computer can join in.  

I will look at this stuff later tonight but my first thoughts are its a guy with an axe to grind.  

IMO it isn’t an ax to grind.  His football coverage is a fee service at $8/month.  He needs to sell subscriptions to support a living. So leaning into long form and salacious stories is how he does that. 
Could these be considered hit pieces to sell subscriptions and drum up awareness of his work? Absolutely.  

How's it a hit piece? McDermott said it.

Journalists don't protect the people they cover. Or shouldn't.

Much ado about nothing but another example of attack on free speech. The coach wasn't wrong. It wasn't the smartest reference but who said football coaches are smart.

Really... You can't say what he said? Hitler had the blimps running on time. Good for him. US airlines could learn something.

Ban me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Much ado about nothing but another example of attack on free speech. The coach wasn't wrong. It wasn't the smartest reference but who said football coaches are smart.

Really... You can't say what he said? Hitler had the blimps running on time. Good for him. US airlines could learn something.

Ban me.

To the bolded, absolutely.  But ...

The suggestions that I see here and elsewhere that Ty Dunne is some punk blogger in his Mom’s basement are completely and totally off the mark.

Dunne is as legit a sports writer as there is in this sports writing ecosystem. God help him, he doesn’t have an editor - he needs one (we all do). But the legacy model of sports writing is gone. He’s making it on his own. Or trying to.

He knows his sh1t. He’s a good writer.

And he’s reporting nothing other than a combination of facts and views expressed to him by people with firsthand knowledge of McDermott’s Bills. 

McDermott has proven himself to be a good NFL head coach. And it’s time he moved on.

views

Edited by That Aud Smell

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Ban me.

What is your definition of a hit piece? Asking because drudging up a comment that were known to the Bills administration four years ago (while protecting the people “they” cover via anonymous sources) while assaulting a man’s character (I assume you read the article) with unnamed sources could qualify as that. I’m happy to be wrong of your angle is different. 

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Ban me.

There’s a difference between attacking free speech and being disappointed in the exercise of it. 

1 hour ago, Porous Five Hole said:

What is your definition of a hit piece? Asking because drudging up a comment that were known to the Bills administration four years ago (while protecting the people “they” cover via anonymous sources) while assaulting a man’s character (I assume you read the article) with unnamed sources could qualify as that. I’m happy to be wrong of your angle is different. 

I only read the part that was free. I think by definition a hit piece has false or misleading information. I'm really only addressing the part of the story that reports on the 9/11 comment. He said it. If people question his character, it's not on the reporter.

Also is there something inherently wrong with unnamed sources?

On a side note, the Bills current weakness is the 2nd half D and that's on McDermott. If anyone saw his post game after the Eagles loss, he was passing over Commenting on the D issues and instead pointed out some missed chances on O. Just shook my head. Wouldn't own it. 

Brady is calling a good O with quick short passes to Kincaid, Shakir and the RB's. Sets up some long shots by moving those deep safties up. His LSU O with Burrow, Chase and Jefferson was something to watch 4 years back. Glad they gave him a shot. 

Beane better find some Secondary help and have his buddy change schemes or continue to fail. May be too late this year. 

Edited by Night Train
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

The suggestions that I see here and elsewhere that Ty Dunne is some punk blogger in his Mom’s basement are completely and totally off the mark.

Dunne is as legit a sports writer as there is in this sports writing ecosystem. God help him, he doesn’t have an editor - he needs one (we all do). But the legacy model of sports writing is gone. He’s making it on his own. Or trying to.

He knows his sh1t. He’s a good writer.

And he’s reporting nothing other than a combination of facts and views expressed to him by people with firsthand knowledge of McDermott’s Bills. 

McDermott has proven himself to be a good NFL head coach. And it’s time he moved on.

views

I’ve been out all day, now I’m home and focusing on the Sabres.  I’ll read’s articles later, maybe.  If I care. 

Any way I slice it, he is using McD current controversies and adding to them with stories from 4 years past. He is making money, getting clicks, getting his name out there but to me he is covered in slime while doing it. 

We can discuss want accounts for good journalism but that too is pointless.  Today’s journalism is much different than the past.  It is want it is, everything is fair game.  

1 hour ago, Night Train said:

On a side note, the Bills current weakness is the 2nd half D and that's on McDermott. If anyone saw his post game after the Eagles loss, he was passing over Commenting on the D issues and instead pointed out some missed chances on O. Just shook my head. Wouldn't own it. 

Brady is calling a good O with quick short passes to Kincaid, Shakir and the RB's. Sets up some long shots by moving those deep safties up. His LSU O with Burrow, Chase and Jefferson was something to watch 4 years back. Glad they gave him a shot. 

Beane better find some Secondary help and have his buddy change schemes or continue to fail. May be too late this year. 

His lack of accountability in his post Philly game remarks also had me shaking my head. Lamenting missed opportunities by an offense that put up 34 points, on the road, in inclement weather, in a hostile environment, while your defense gives up 37 points and once again craps the bed in clutch time is very telling. I could understand if some players on offense feel like he doesn’t have their backs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This is likely an overreaction to the last few weeks’ worth of bad news surrounding the Bills, but it does kinda feel like the game tomorrow marks somewhat of a crossroads.

i think they are going to show up and play hard for McD.  We’ll see whether they execute well enough. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

If anything the article confirms what we have seen at the end of too many games, the Bills playing conservative which ultimately costs them victories. 

Ultimately it doesn’t matter because Tim Graham spoke to sources after the article was published that confirmed McDermott was safe. 

What’s a few more years of Allen’s Prime wasted.

Because we are stuck with him, I hope he hires an assistant coach who can advise against his tendency to play not to lose.  Marv Levy had the late Elijah Pitts.  McDermott needs this more than Levy did.