Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

Brawndo

10 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Bills are out, Sabres are trash... And the wind chills are dropping below zero. 

Happy 2024 buffalo, a familiar sight. 

I went snowboarding today. It was a great day. The Bills loss did nothing to change that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Diggs is a 2.

We need a 1.

Please Stop.  The man is top 10 in almost all categories for the position.  Clearly a #1.  Does not excuse the fact if he brings in that 70 yard pass they probably win the game.  They needed to score a TD on the last drive and didn’t find a way.  Team failed. 

Is the city cursed? Thirty years ago I would have laughed and said of course not.  If we are living in a simulation, there is a likelihood that the Creator/Programmer has some kind of algorithm to inflict pain on our fan base.  This loss cuts deep.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

Please Stop.  The man is top 10 in almost all categories for the position.  Clearly a #1.  Does not excuse the fact if he brings in that 70 yard pass they probably win the game.  They needed to score a TD on the last drive and didn’t find a way.  Team failed. 

Is the city cursed? Thirty years ago I would have laughed and said of course not.  If we are living in a simulation, there is a likelihood that the Creator/Programmer has some kind of algorithm to inflict pain on our fan base.  This loss cuts deep.  

"The man" has clearly given up on this team.   ***** him. 

• Disagree 1

34 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

I’ll concede he is a 1, but I can’t of a single time where he scored in crunch time to win a game. Maybe he has, and I know others have, but Diggs to win it?… I can’t think of one. He needs to do that for me to think he is a true number 1.

There were a lot of factors today.  

Allen was excellent in the first half, a halftime lead of 4 was a good position to be in.  We get the ball first, and the wind in the 4th.

We scored our only TD of the second half on that first drive by running it down their throats on, often using 6 OL.  Then the scoring ended.  So KC figured it out, and the running got predictable, and or WRs failed to make plays, and our defense could not force a punt until late in the game.   They got a huge turnover break on the fumble thru the end zone.  

Our defense was great during the winning streak but it was a battle of attrition and playing deep down the LB depth chart, and with backup CB, it was too much against an opponent this good. The DL, which is healthy, did not pressure Mahomes or stop the run.  

McD did a great job with the defense and with rallying the team from 6-6 to 12-7.  Still, it ends in a home field loss and more questions on the coach and his staff. 

I counted 3 dropped passes.  I think we missed Davis.  Not sure about Diggs and his persona. The WR room could change significantly next season.  

I don’t understand the last series of the game, the play calls included 2 long passes to the end zone.  I think Allen had to throw on those downs but why go deep, why not higher percentage quick hitters and get yards and run clock?   We needed to kill more clock anyway. 

Special teams blew most of their plays.  The fake punt was a bad call and lacked execution and creativity.  The punter struggled but still averaged 39.5 on his 2 kicks with a pulled hammy   The kicker Bass has been a problem all season, and he melted down in the playoffs.  

McD will be under scrutiny in the media but I think he is safe.   

Considering where they were mid season they finished strong, and won a division   Next year will likely have major changes and some favorites and long time players gone.  

The terrible taste of finally getting KC at home, and still lose, is bitter.  At least we have Allen some promising young players.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Broken Ankles said:

As someone that moved away in 89 and have followed the Bills and Sabres the city is definitely cursed. I always tell people don’t get too excited about the Bills because they find new and creative ways to blow games and have been doing it my whole life. The Sabres on the other hand have taken losing to a whole new level. GM after GM have ***** up the rebuild and unproven coaches aren’t helping the situation. I thought the 2006 Sabres were the best shot at winning the Cup but that team was decimated by injuries throughout that playoff. Losing 4 of their top 6 defenseman along with Connolly who was on fire until he was concussed. That team was really good. I have never seen a city that has gone through so many painful defeats than the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Another year another absolutely no show performance by the defense. Disgusting. I don’t care how injured they were KC has struggled hard all year. 

Diggs with the drops when it matters most. He just ain’t it. All the bad KC receivers got every ball last night. If we didn’t have the bad drops we won that game despite the defense. You can pick Allen apart on the last drive, but it shouldn’t have gotten there. 

Glad they fixed their problems mid season. Brady can stay. But that no show at the end is just frustrating. Allen is too talented to waste away on these excuses. If he doesn’t hire a DC then he’s toast. 

Good luck fielding a roster with our cap now. We missed our window. Bass’ contract is just the kicker 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Pimlach said:

There were a lot of factors today.  

Allen was excellent in the first half, a halftime lead of 4 was a good position to be in.  We get the ball first, and the wind in the 4th.

We scored our only TD of the second half on that first drive by running it down their throats on, often using 6 OL.  Then the scoring ended.  So KC figured it out, and the running got predictable, and or WRs failed to make plays, and our defense could not force a punt until late in the game.   They got a huge turnover break on the fumble thru the end zone.  

Our defense was great during the winning streak but it was a battle of attrition and playing deep down the LB depth chart, and with backup CB, it was too much against an opponent this good. The DL, which is healthy, did not pressure Mahomes or stop the run.  

McD did a great job with the defense and with rallying the team from 6-6 to 12-7.  Still, it ends in a home field loss and more questions on the coach and his staff. 

I counted 3 dropped passes.  I think we missed Davis.  Not sure about Diggs and his persona. The WR room could change significantly next season.  

I don’t understand the last series of the game, the play calls included 2 long passes to the end zone.  I think Allen had to throw on those downs but why go deep, why not higher percentage quick hitters and get yards and run clock?   We needed to kill more clock anyway. 

Special teams blew most of their plays.  The fake punt was a bad call and lacked execution and creativity.  The punter struggled but still averaged 39.5 on his 2 kicks with a pulled hammy   The kicker Bass has been a problem all season, and he melted down in the playoffs.  

McD will be under scrutiny in the media but I think he is safe.   

Considering where they were mid season they finished strong, and won a division   Next year will likely have major changes and some favorites and long time players gone.  

The terrible taste of finally getting KC at home, and still lose, is bitter.  At least we have Allen some promising young players.  

That last drive pass plays you spoke on. That right there contributed to costing the game. Why are they throwing deep? We had time, why go deep?

But ultimately, it was the dropped passes, the defenses failure to stop KC and the over commitment to the run game that really sank the Bills.

KC has outclassed Buffalo every year, and I don't see that stopping anytime soon. Not for nothing, but 2 of these 3 divisional round meetings, the 13 second game and this one, it wasn't Mahomes who beat us, it was us who beat us.

And the lore of Buffalo sports tragedies continues on.........

• Agree 1

Welp, twas an edge of your seat season all the way to the final drive.

I felt like we didn’t give this game away, unlike previous playoff games against the Chiefs.  With the injuries we had on defense, I didn’t really expect that this team could contain the Chiefs, and they still did force the Chiefs to punt late.  IMO 27pts is about all you can expect from a defence that looked alot like the Sabres defence that lost the conference finals against Carolina.

This was a game where the better team simply ended up with the better result.  And we still almost pulled it off (I hope Diggs is a little contrite after proving to be fallible when we really needed him).  But those bomb on a rope plays are notoriously low percentage, so I’m not upset.  Disappointed? Yes.

And the pit was fed.  What the hell, football gods?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, MISabresFan said:

I don't blame Bass.  The offensive game plan was designed to protect the defense, which was short-handed.  It almost worked.  To win championships, you can not drop passes.  The Bills had their chances, but couldn't make the plays.  Enjoyed the roller coaster season and can't wait to next year.  My question, what happened to the defensive line?

I blame Bass. You win by making 40 yard field goals when that's what you've been hired to do. Yes it was windy but he' s not a rookie. The snap and hold were fine. Winners make those. I'm sure there will be auditions at camp for place kicker next season.

Very entertaining game… Very disappointing result.

We had our chances to win… Couple dropped passes… 

Defensive and Offensive play calling didn’t adjust to KC 2nd Half schemes… Forced Allen to improvise too often… and play Hero Ball late in the game…

As we say in Sabrespace… Next year…

It’s become a cliche.

Edited by Believer

8 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

The Bills had 7 regulars out on D and only 4 linebackers for the game, Klein came in off the street.

Let’s not act like McD had a full deck to play with on the defensive side of the ball. 

They battled with what they had.

You are looking at this game in a vaccum 

im looking at the entire picture and coach McDermott is basically Marty Schottenheimer 2.0.   

how many more years of Josh are you willing to waste ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This was a great game. Two very good teams with elite qbs. As others have said, the difference in this game was our drops. The Diggs drop was a pivotal play. It was a well thrown ball and the coverage was good. If would have been a tough catch but the big-play opportunity was not seized. We also caught a potential game-changing break when their back fumbled the ball into the end-zone when they were on the doorstep of closing this game out. 

It was apparent to me that the accumulation of injuries on defense took a toll. KC was smart to control the clock by running it at the end of the game. You have to give Mahomes his due. He arguably is the best qb in the game. Although Lamar Jackson is the MVP in this season. 

In the end: It was wide-right all over again. Where did I see that before? 

Wide right.  Are you kidding me. 

It's always hard no matter how your team loses, but who would not have signed up for this after the OT loss in Philly?

I really thought that the Bills were going to do it against the Chiefs at home.  The Chiefs have won Superbowls and always seem to turn it up a notch in key playoff games and at specific times during those games.  The Bills have not been able to do that.  Came very close last night, especially considering the defence was missing so many.  With a completely healthy D the Bills would have likely won that game.

The coach is fine.  Bass is fine.  Just about everything else is fine.

The one thing that the Bills need to find is Josh's Kelce.  Mahomes and Kelce are stars, but together they are special.

Speaking of Kelce ... Jason was a hoot.  Tailgating with the best of them.  The very drunk brother-in-law at the party.  Took his shirt off and was topless pretty much the whole time.  Climbed out of the box and was shirtless with the fans in the stands at one point.  He was better to look at than what's her name.

8 hours ago, Pimlach said:

These two Tweets encapsulate and confirm what I felt about that failed throw to Shakir. Good call, great opportunity -- they just missed it. Chris Jones pushing the Bills guard into Allen's feet played a role.

40 minutes ago, Weave said:

I hope Diggs is a little contrite after proving to be fallible when we really needed him).  But those bomb on a rope plays are notoriously low percentage, so I’m not upset.  

14 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The Diggs drop was a pivotal play. It was a well thrown ball and the coverage was good.

That throw was fu*king spectacular, especially given the conditions and circumstances. It's a low percentage play in the abstract, but not so low when you have 17 throwing a fu*king 65 yard laser beam in a cold breeze. And, Jesus Christ on a popsicle stick, he put it right on him. 14 just could not bring it in. I know that's a tough play for the WR. But FFS.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I said before this game that the Bills WR group needs an overhaul.  Harty and Sherfield need to go.  Beane needs to draft two WRs early in the draft to replace Davis and eventually Diggs.

We need better speed, better hands and better size at the position.  Getting another real threat the teams have to respect will help open up Diggs and make Josh much more effective in the passing game.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I said before this game that the Bills WR group needs an overhaul.  Harty and Sherfield need to go.  Beane needs to draft two WRs early in the draft to replace Davis and eventually Diggs.

We need better speed, better hands and better size at the position.  Getting another real threat the teams have to respect will help open up Diggs and make Josh much more effective in the passing game.

This is the team's #1 need. Full stop.

Diggs is probably at a point where he's not a true #1. He can still be very good. But he needs help. Hopefully that help comes in the form of a drafted, cost-controlled WR who's got good size and then one additional elite attribute -- be it hands, contested catch ability, speed, catch radius, zone beating smarts, etc.

No idea whose blog this is, but I'm encouraged by this breakdown of the 2024 WR class.

2. Wide Receiver

Top-10 Grades: 2
Top-50 Grades: 9
Top-100 Grades: 13

Heading into the season I thought the 2024 class of receivers would be better than the 2023 class, but this year’s group has become a different animal altogether. We could legitimately see this class challenge the record for most receivers taken in the first round (seven, in 2004). Ohio State’s Marvin Harrison Jr., LSU’s Malik Nabers, Florida State’s Keon Coleman, and Washington’s Rome Odunze are all stone-cold locks at this point. LSU’s Brian Thomas Jr., Ohio State’s Emeka Egbuka and South Carolina’s Xavier Legette, along with the Texas duo of Xavier Worthy and Adonai Mitchell, all have a shot of hearing their name called on the first day of the draft as well. 

Unlike a year ago, there’s no shortage of different body types and skillsets at the position either. I’d categorize the top options in the class is as follows:

X-Receivers (Big-Bodied No. 1’s)
Marvin Harrison Jr, Ohio State
Keon Coleman, Florida State
Rome Odunze, Washington
Xavier Legette, South Carolina
Adonai Mitchell, Texas

Vertical Threats (Movable Speedsters)
Malik Nabers, LSU
Brian Thomas Jr., LSU
Xavier Worthy, Texas
Ladd McConkey, Georgia
Troy Franklin, Oregon

Y-Receivers (Savvy No. 2’s)
Emeka Egbuka, Ohio State
Ja’Lynn Polk, Washington
Roman Wilson, Michigan

The one position where there’s, arguably, few if any high-end options is pure slot receivers like we saw a year ago. I’m sure NFL teams won’t be complaining about that given the preponderance of talent elsewhere.

https://themessenger.com/sports/2024-nfl-draft-strongest-weakest-position-groups

*Edited to remove spam post of Twitter profile. The above was written by a guy named Mike Renner.

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Like (+1) 1

I am not a big football fan but stil cheer for the Bills as I feel this strange closeness to Buffalo as I have been a Sabre fan since 1970. Watching I was so tired of hearing them go on and on about the QB and of course TS's boy-toy...to make matetrs worse the defense left him wide open for easy pass receptions at which point they immediately panned to TS laughing and high-fiving. I so wanted them to lose...

1 hour ago, eman said:

I blame Bass. You win by making 40 yard field goals when that's what you've been hired to do. Yes it was windy but he' s not a rookie. The snap and hold were fine. Winners make those. I'm sure there will be auditions at camp for place kicker next season.

It is easy to point fingers at the last offensive play.  It is harder to look at the game as a whole and see that many plays were botched.  It should have never been left up to the kicker.  Who relies on a kicker who is 2-6 from that distance in the playoffs?  The mindset should have been TD on that last drive.  There are a lot of players and coaches to blame.  Bring in Bill.

• Like (+1) 1