Jakob Chychrun scratched for trade related reasons

Brawndo

19 hours ago, tom webster said:

And just to be clear, I’m not suggesting there is any meddling going on but there are definitely people within the organization that realize they owe fans something and “wouldn’t be unhappy”  throwing us a none. Adams, on the other hand, is all about the process. 

So he had the ability to make the swap but chose not to due to his evaluation. I’m good with that. But it was due to his evaluation of the specific piece, not an outruling of the idea on principle, correct? 

19 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Maybe not a perfect fit for Sabres but man it would be exciting.  
at some point Adams has to move a prospect or two.
not room for everyone 

Good point, and not only is it necessary, but using his good evaluation skills, and inside information there will be some prospects best moved while the “world” still sees their utmost upside, where Adams is aware that’s not likely the case. Some prospects will not only present the most value to us through a trade, but by trading them fairly early on

The better KA’s overall evaluation skills prove, the more available avenues for Adams to mine where his aptitude can be exploited. 

Edited by Thorny

18 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

I understand, but we weren't playing meaningful games this far in to a season. Context matters here, imo. 

To your point, the only thing that should matter where any potential trade comes along is the individual, specific evaluation of the value within. No thought need be given to quantity over quality: the scenario Murray was playing under coming out of a scorched-earth tank was wildly different to the situation we are in now. We had almost nothing. The roster ITSELF was barren - the key point. Now, we have a system filled with prospects and picks when the BIG CLUB looks pretty good - less spaces to fill, ground no longer scorched. Any comparison to Murray became obsolete a year ago. Some of our best advantage is the currency and flexibility that provides. Once a team gets good enough, not only does quantity no longer remain the most important factor, but teams will occasionally *actively lose trades by value* because trades are a means to an end and the trade is being made to alter one specific aspect of the team that takes the ice every night. We aren’t at THAT stage yet, but it’s closer than people think. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Really it will all come down to price; I agree with Adams if Arizona is asking for Savoie and our 1st; that would be gross mismanagement of assets. If LAK or whomever gets him for a pittance I'd be far more angry.

Yep, exactly. 

- - -

Sorry for the multiple posts, behind on thread and posts not joining together / guess I’m not being quick enough 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Peterka-Quinn - Savoie - Kulich - Östlund .    Pretty much untouchable in a trade for me right now.

So our 4th/5th best prospect is “untouchable”. From what @tom websterhas said, KA isn’t even close to this stance

People throw around “untouchable” worse than “generational”. There is one untouchable asset in the league. 

Funnily enough, that player is the same answer to the “who is generational” question.

I get you said “pretty much” but it’s still, imo, absurd verbiage for a prospect like Östlund. Östlund is “pretty much UNTOUCHABLE”? We can’t conceive of a team offering up something worthy of that piece in a trade? Teams don’t even attempt to submit fair offers for Östlund, he’s just too good, not worth the effort, common ground could never be found? 

Forgive me but it stretches the limits of believability. 

Edited by Thorny

17 minutes ago, Thorny said:

To your point, the only thing that should matter where any potential trade comes along is the individual, specific evaluation of the value within. No thought need be given to quantity over quality: the scenario Murray was playing under coming out of a scorched-earth tank was wildly different to the situation we are in now. We had almost nothing. The roster ITSELF was barren - the key point. Now, we have a system filled with prospects and picks when the BIG CLUB looks pretty good - less spaces to fill, ground no longer scorched. Any comparison to Murray became obsolete a year ago. Some of our best advantage is the currency and flexibility that provides. Once a team gets good enough, not only does quantity no longer remain the most important factor, but teams will occasionally *actively lose trades by value* because trades are a means to an end and the trade is being made to alter one specific aspect of the team that takes the ice every night. We aren’t at THAT stage yet, but it’s closer than people think. 

True.  And one corollary to that is, it is possible that one (or more) of the players that people here consider untouchable ends up in a couple of years, not just touchable, but actually moved because the return for them (especially when looking at the full cap ramifications) either makes the team significantly better now or extends the window out significantly, or both.

And somebody that people want to see moved might not be (at least not in the next year or 2) because they come in at a low cap hit, fill a role that management wants them to continue to fill, or they wouldn't bring back in return anything that makes the team better nor extends the window; perhaps all 3.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

So our 4th/5th best prospect is “untouchable”. From what @tom websterhas said, KA isn’t even close to this stance

People throw around “untouchable” worse than “generational”. There is one untouchable asset in the league. 

Funnily enough, that player is the same answer to the “who is generational” question.

I get you said “pretty much” but it’s still, imo, absurd verbiage for a prospect like Östlund. Östlund is “pretty much UNTOUCHABLE”? We can’t conceive of a team offering up something worthy of that piece in a trade? Teams don’t even attempt to submit fair offers for Östlund, he’s just too good, not worth the effort, common ground could never be found? 

Forgive me but it stretches the limits of believability. 

Let me say this, Neither of these should go for a trade for soft Defensive LHD, that has trouble staying healthy with bad knees.

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Same argument from 2015. Of course all that stuff we gave up in 2015 would be great now. 

We're not ready to hit the accelerator and the overreaction to the Calgary game is reaching a fever pitch. 

Not even close to the same argument. The need didn't develop in the Calgary game, it's been there all season. There's a big difference between trading away all your picks and prospects and balancing your roster with a few strategic moves that fill needs now. 

7 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

The Bruins should be going for it, they're at the tail end of their Stanley Cup run so them spending multiple 1sts and prospects make sense. I think it's dangerous for a team like Buffalo to go after Chychrun not because he's a bad player but we have a few like him already in Dahlin/Power imo (what I mean by similar is more offensive minded) and I get that some have a problem with Schenn, he has bounced around a bit and his style is outdated but he's the swiss army knife all playoff teams try to get, a guy who leads the league in hits, always up there in blocked shots, plays on the penalty kill and when he's on the ice I don't see those 4-6 breakaways were constantly giving up but I don't think Schenn alone helps that. I think we need another veteran besides him and to be honest it doesn't have to be Schenn, I'd settle for 2 defensive defensemen but again I'd like them to be able to play in multiple scenarios. The Sabres are on the cusp but imagine we picked up Chychrun, spend 2 1sts and trade away say Kulich or Rosen and still miss the playoffs, how would that help in any way?

Well for one, Chychrun isn't just for this season, he'd be signed for 2 more years on top of that. Gives you a very solid D core. My point about Boston was they already have a D much better than us. What they need is a scoring forward as Taylor Hall be Taylor Hall'ing it again this year. 

I personally couldn't care less about trading away Rosen and a future pick(s) if we got a solid return like Chychrun. Rosen may never make this team imo. Might, might not. Kulich I'd be more reluctant on but I'd consider it. This year's first has to be lottery protected but they can have next years because honestly, if this team is still worried about where they pick next year I'm likely giving up on them. I'm tired of waiting. 

Same argument from 2015. Of course all that stuff we gave up in 2015 would be great now. 

We're not ready to hit the accelerator and the overreaction to the Calgary game is reaching a fever pitch. 

I mostly agree. To me there is very little downside to standing pat at the trade deadline and not doing anything major...letting this team play out the rest of the season.  They COULD get hot (this team has been very streaky all season) and get in. They might not but you will have basically a full season to evaluate what you have. 

If something drops into their lap that they cannot beleive, of course make a deal.  But there is a lot you can do in the offseason.

Why shouldn't have I have attitude? Same conversation from 2015 and it was wrong then and is now. 

"This could be an opportunity lost" is some scared talk. It's all panic about potentially missing the playoffs. If this team regressed next season it speaks to fundamental issues throughout the organization that no Jack Eichel, Connor McDavid, Connor Bedard, or Rasmus Dahlin can fix. 

They don’t have to regress to have a worse season next year. Injuries, opponents figuring their own issues out. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

This team is so young... hard to eval young guys and NHL potential... that being said Sabres need a D guy badly.. not sure Chyc fits the bill but maybe a 3 way deal Sabres send a prospect or 2 for a D they want or 1 prospect plus salary to a team that really wants Chychrun for a D that fits... probably to a team with limited cap space..

18 hours ago, SabresBillsFan said:

What’s the word with Ryan Johnson?

I have been wondering the same. Isn't he a stay at home defensive Dman with some grit? I am all OUT on us going after Chicklet. If we are going to go big, It has to be Timo. I think picks and an one of our young ones and a player is not a bad thing for a proven 30+ hard hitting going to front of the net forward. We do not have him in our system and that is 10000% what this team needs. Money be damned. Yes, i know all the arguments against, but if you are going to do it big, that's who you chase after.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.