2023 trade speculation and rumors

Eleven

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

They're not going to sit Mitts or Victor for a guy like Lafferty and I doubt they sit Zemgus or Kyle for anybody.

Maybe they like him better than Jost, but I doubt it.

IMO, our two least effective forwards recently are Peterka, then Quinn

What's more valuable: what Lafferty contributes down the stretch, or what Quinn and Peterka learn down the stretch?

We've already got Asplund and Vinnie for injury coverage.

I think I'm only adding a forward if he's an upgrade on Mitts and/or Victor.

Bingo! You hit on the fundamental question. And you answered the question about why a trade for any player that would minimize playing time for Quinn and Peterka is unlikely. I see the recent play of Quinn getting better after the juggling of his line. Peterka is struggling a bit but as you noted the playing time he is getting is valuable experience and will benefit him and the team in the not too distant future. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

With all due respect, this is the thinking that Murray used to waste a lot of assets.

If he isn't worth a 2, don't offer it.  MHO YMMV.

How dare you compare my calm, cool and collected way of thinking to that other guy who was / is pretty much the exact opposite.

Luksie may be worth a low second to the Sabres.  All I am saying is they may be thinking of it.  If I were KA I would be.  I am not saying that he should rush into anything and do anything rash here, but it it comes to March 2nd and a half then maybe KA could get Luksie for maybe the Sabres 4th and a bucket of chicken wings.  Extra spicy.

(insert that winkie thingie here for my first sentence above)

Edited by Sabres Fan in NS
more goodly ...
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Eichel may or may not have been popular, but trading him was absolutely a difficult decision for any GM.  And I'd guess that Reino, Risto and Montour were reasonably well liked.

I don't think that trading Jack was a difficult decision for KA. It was the opposite of that. He was determined to trade him. In fact, he told him to go home and stay away from the team. The GM established a value for Jack that he wanted in return. And he held to it. The player wanted out and so did the GM. There was no hesitation on the part of our GM to move him. It just came down to getting the right offer. He eventually got it---and then with dispatch made the deal. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6

12 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Fixed that for you. You don't trade 19yr old former firsts for mediocre depth defenders. A 3rd might even be close to an overpayment. 

He's also mediocre at hockey. Maybe he would look better in Buffalo but at best this upgrades the 4th line. 

Completely fair on Murphy for a 3rd.  You're probably right. 

12 hours ago, tom webster said:

I’m just talking fourth line, penalty killer. The only way they upgrade top 9 at this point is with a huge swing which I think we both see as unlikely at this point.

You can find functional players from Rochester for that.  Rousek, screams "Give me a shot".

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

I don’t know if White is saying Dunn is a trade target but he is having a great offensive season for Seattle. Don’t know why he would be available.

I'm 100% with you. Not sure why they would even consider trading him?

I appreciate Jeremy giving us insider info, we don't have many local insiders as is, so i can't be too mad but man i hate it when he's so cryptic. 

15 minutes ago, Two or less said:

I'm 100% with you. Not sure why they would even consider trading him?

I appreciate Jeremy giving us insider info, we don't have many local insiders as is, so i can't be too mad but man i hate it when he's so cryptic. 

The thing is White’s tweet was in response to a guy’s tweet who has a private account. So no one can see the original tweet to understand what White’s response means.

12 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

The thing is White’s tweet was in response to a guy’s tweet who has a private account. So no one can see the original tweet to understand what White’s response means.

the tweet says: My prediction for the Sabres deadline is that they trade for a defenseman and it’s not someone we have been discussing at all

If you don’t follow the original account that jeremy responded too I would go ahead and give it a follow, one of my favorite accounts on sabres twitter

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

The longer the Sabres hang in the race, the more they should be trying to improve. I honestly was hoping we would hang around but they are a Vet or player away to get us over the that make the playoffs line, especially since both spots are within reach. There are players that could help for the next couple of years available. We have the capital to get almost whomever we want (If the player wants to come here). If all the prospects and picks we have work out there is not room for them all. Now is the time. I still want that aggressive player (offense or defense) and another scorer would help. My Wishlist at this moment: top 4 hard hitting dman that is ore defensive then offensive skill wise. Another scorer. 

I just think they are so damn close and to just sit on our hands (Not that i know that) would be absolutely a waste. 

Let me beat some of you to the punch...... Yes i know we were not expected to be here blah blah blah. I get it, understand, only partially agree. But goal is to make playoffs and try a win a cup before i die ...LOL I mean win a cup and the only way you can do that is make the damn playoffs!!!!!! 

8 minutes ago, Stormcloudmember66 said:

The longer the Sabres hang in the race, the more they should be trying to improve. I honestly was hoping we would hang around but they are a Vet or player away to get us over the that make the playoffs line, especially since both spots are within reach. There are players that could help for the next couple of years available. We have the capital to get almost whomever we want (If the player wants to come here). If all the prospects and picks we have work out there is not room for them all. Now is the time. I still want that aggressive player (offense or defense) and another scorer would help. My Wishlist at this moment: top 4 hard hitting dman that is ore defensive then offensive skill wise. Another scorer. 

I just think they are so damn close and to just sit on our hands (Not that i know that) would be absolutely a waste. 

Let me beat some of you to the punch...... Yes i know we were not expected to be here blah blah blah. I get it, understand, only partially agree. But goal is to make playoffs and try a win a cup before i die ...LOL I mean win a cup and the only way you can do that is make the damn playoffs!!!!!! 

And in reality if we picked up 2 veteran DMen or a veteran Dman and a veteran forward who is physical we won't even have to give up a first round pick or prospects, here's to hoping!

47 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Sabres should put package together and get Jeanott and Ekholm form Preds.

I'd send them Olofsson, Joker, Rosen and Vegas 2nd.

Say what?

You'd risk disrubting that team by making a bombshell move of trading Olofsson and Jokiharju ? There's no chance Adams is doing that.

Thats something for the summer.

• Like (+1) 1

Any trade rumour or consideration needs to be weighed against what the reality of the player coming in and the player going out does to the room. This is an essential factor and I would bet dollars to donuts its weight is equal to the skill/talent of the trade target(s). The Sabres organization learned this lesson the hard way and there is no chance KA ignores it.

So, let's say we are looking at a defenseman. Who on our roster, if they are moved, is least likely to cause the room to get upset?

I know that eventually they will have to face the reality of the business but is a trade the correct move right now? IMHO, they might be better off trading a non-NHL roster player and/or assets to add someone rather than a NHL-roster player.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, ... said:

Any trade rumour or consideration needs to be weighed against what the reality of the player coming in and the player going out does to the room. This is an essential factor and I would bet dollars to donuts its weight is equal to the skill/talent of the trade target(s). The Sabres organization learned this lesson the hard way and there is no chance KA ignores it.

So, let's say we are looking at a defenseman. Who on our roster, if they are moved, is least likely to cause the room to get upset?

I know that eventually they will have to face the reality of the business but is a trade the correct move right now? IMHO, they might be better off trading a non-NHL roster player and/or assets to add someone rather than a NHL-roster player.

You can get any decent defenseman. Our third pairing already has to be played as little as possible. 

On 2/23/2023 at 2:07 PM, LGR4GM said:

Asking for Mercer is like asking for Quinn (not exactly but it is as close as we can get). 

Yessss

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.