Sabres Trade Deadline 2023 Discussion

GASabresIUFAN

Playoff contention - What position(s) should KA upgrade for the playoff push?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Playoff contention - What position(s) should KA upgrade without hurting the team long-term

• Goaltender - We need another goalie, I'm not comfortable with UPL, Comrie and Andy for the playoffs
    • 2nd pair Defense - Jokiharju needs to be upgraded
    • 3rd pair Defense - Bryson needs to be upgraded
    • Defense depth - I want someone better than Clague in the 7th D slot
    • Forward depth - We need a better 13th forward than Vinnie or Asplund
    • Scoring Depth - Upgrade one of Mitts or VO now. Don't wait until the off-season
    • 4th line - As much as I like KO and Z, we need more grit and more production from the 4th line
  2. 2. How many deals will KA complete by the trade deadline

• 0 - KA won't spend any assets to help this team
    • 1 or 2 - KA will utilize our cap space to help other deals get done, but won't acquire any help at the deadline
    • 1 or 2 - KA will acquire some D help at the deadline.
    • 3 or 4 - KA will acquire D help and will also pick up assets using our cap space to help others get deals done
    • 5 or more - KA is going to bolster the Sabres and the Amerks.

This poll is closed to new votes

Getting back to cap space, maybe KA is playing chess to Guerin’s checkers. He might know there are bigger salaries to move and he can get better picks for retaining $$. There is only one team that wins but they all want that one or two pieces to get them over the top.

What if he gets a guy like Jensen for retaining on a big fish like Oshie/Kuznetsov/Kuemper?

Going in a different direction here, I wonder how much chemistry is thought about and affected by these moves? Again, only one team wins but they all want to make moves. You might be bringing a big douche to a great room and poison it. A team like Boston has strong leadership and would nip that in the bud, but going in reverse is a possibility.

Let’s say the Sabres would have brought in Orlov. He is a definite upgrade on D and a Cup winner. Is the room happy with the injection of talent or does everyone feel down that Bryson gets relegated to the press box? They are pros in a performance driven industry but humans. Does Orlov come in and say this is how we won the Cup in Washington and this is what you need to do.

I find it interesting to think about those dynamics.

Anyway my original point was that teams want shiny new toys and KA can be the kingmaker by spending a few Pegula bucks. What can he get out of it?

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

Minnesota has received a 4th and a 5th round pick for retaining 25% of salary on ROR and Orlov deals.

Low percentage of finding a quality NHLer with those picks but you never know. They can also be bundled to move up and get a guy  that your staff identifies as a great steal.

I want to see Bryson traded or pushed down the depth chart. Even a Dante Fabbro would be better. Caps are selling, Jensen could be had.

Weaponize your cap space KA.

It's buying lottery tickets. I don't see the downside to having more of them.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

But making the playoffs and giving a young team that experience is extremely valuable long-term.  While it’s highly unlikely they’ll win a series even if they make it, it isn’t impossible.  Don’t forget that there is also value for the players when the GM shows faith in the team by adding at the deadline.

I don't disagree.. but it's a fine line.  Trade deals tend to be more expensive than off-season deals. I think it's possible Buffalo makes a move to bring someone in. I don't think it will upset the prospect pool too much either.

4 hours ago, inkman said:

I want him on this team like I want to nail my ***** to my chair 

See.. with you I can't tell if this is a positive thing or a negative thing 🙂

Since Boston didn't end up going after Gavrikov, I wonder if CBJ drops the asking price from the reported 1st and 3rd. For starters, Gavrikov was never worth a 1st and a 3rd so the fact they were apparently entertaining offers in that range means they probably won't drop the price much. However, we have 3 2nd round picks and a few AHL players that might get ice time and prove to be NHL depth players in the CBJ rebuild, but who aren't otherwise going to be given looks in the NHL ahead of our other prospects (Weissbach or Biro, for example). We might be able to package something if it looks like no other team is going after him.

I think I'd be waiting until immediately before the deadline to see. I know the Oilers media seems to think they're going to go in on Gavrikov so who knows? I don't want a bidding war over him because he's not worth a 1st. But if he's still available last minute, I'd see if CBJ wants to dump him for a discount instead of letting him walk in FA.

• Like (+1) 1

Within this link there are two segments on Sabres Live that discuss potential trades. The segment with Shayna Goldman is 21 minutes long. She is very knowledgeable about the league. The second segment dedicated to trade talks is with Darren Dreger is 11 minutes long. Good hockey talk. 

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/podcasts/sabres-live-20259

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, RochesterExpat said:

Since Boston didn't end up going after Gavrikov, I wonder if CBJ drops the asking price from the reported 1st and 3rd. For starters, Gavrikov was never worth a 1st and a 3rd so the fact they were apparently entertaining offers in that range means they probably won't drop the price much. However, we have 3 2nd round picks and a few AHL players that might get ice time and prove to be NHL depth players in the CBJ rebuild, but who aren't otherwise going to be given looks in the NHL ahead of our other prospects (Weissbach or Biro, for example). We might be able to package something if it looks like no other team is going after him.

I think I'd be waiting until immediately before the deadline to see. I know the Oilers media seems to think they're going to go in on Gavrikov so who knows? I don't want a bidding war over him because he's not worth a 1st. But if he's still available last minute, I'd see if CBJ wants to dump him for a discount instead of letting him walk in FA.

Not sure why they would, he is still under contract next season.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, JohnC said:

Within this link there are two segments on Sabres Live that discuss potential trades. The segment with Shayna Goldman is 21 minutes long. She is very knowledgeable about the league. The second segment dedicated to trade talks is with Darren Dreger is 11 minutes long. Good hockey talk. 

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/podcasts/sabres-live-20259

I don’t have time at the moment. Can you help summarize?

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Kapanen was waived today by the Pens.  Has another year at 3.2.  Could he be another DG reclamation project?  The guy is only 26 and has been a 40+ point player in the NHL. Also had 30 pts in 40 games in 2020-21.  

Kapanens star is on the wane. Backwards step impo. 

3 hours ago, steveoath said:

Kapanens star is on the wane. Backwards step impo. 

That’s what people said about Jost as well.  

It’s a moot question anyway since we don’t have a roster spot. However,  once he clears waivers and goes to the A, I wonder if we could trade for him, get the pens to retain some salary and then place him in Rochester.  

10 hours ago, Mango said:

I don’t have time at the moment. Can you help summarize?

It's difficult to summarize because there were so many potential trades commented on. One interesting comment dealt with Arizona and the trading of Chychrun. There was the thought that Arizona overplayed its hand by waiting to trade him. It was felt that the trading of other defensemen for more reasonable prices devalued the return on Chychrun. The Shayna Goldman segment was worth listening to. The Dreger segment wasn't. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Would be a great fit.  But don't see any way the Preds would let him go for what Adams would be willing to pay.

We're going to have to wait for his doppelganger to get here in a season or 2.

Preds might blow it up. They really like Askarov. 

I'd trade 6K, 23 1st, 24 1st, 24 2nd, 25 2nd and Ollie for Saros, Ekholm and Jeannot. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.