Sabres Trade Deadline 2023 Discussion

GASabresIUFAN

Playoff contention - What position(s) should KA upgrade for the playoff push?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Playoff contention - What position(s) should KA upgrade without hurting the team long-term

• Goaltender - We need another goalie, I'm not comfortable with UPL, Comrie and Andy for the playoffs
    • 2nd pair Defense - Jokiharju needs to be upgraded
    • 3rd pair Defense - Bryson needs to be upgraded
    • Defense depth - I want someone better than Clague in the 7th D slot
    • Forward depth - We need a better 13th forward than Vinnie or Asplund
    • Scoring Depth - Upgrade one of Mitts or VO now. Don't wait until the off-season
    • 4th line - As much as I like KO and Z, we need more grit and more production from the 4th line
  2. 2. How many deals will KA complete by the trade deadline

• 0 - KA won't spend any assets to help this team
    • 1 or 2 - KA will utilize our cap space to help other deals get done, but won't acquire any help at the deadline
    • 1 or 2 - KA will acquire some D help at the deadline.
    • 3 or 4 - KA will acquire D help and will also pick up assets using our cap space to help others get deals done
    • 5 or more - KA is going to bolster the Sabres and the Amerks.

This poll is closed to new votes

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

It's difficult to summarize because there were so many potential trades commented on. One interesting comment dealt with Arizona and the trading of Chychrun. There was the thought that Arizona overplayed its hand by waiting to trade him. It was felt that the trading of other defensemen for more reasonable prices devalued the return on Chychrun. The Shayna Goldman segment was worth listening to. The Dreger segment wasn't

Is it ever?  

https://thehockeywriters.com/blues-3-potential-landing-spots-colton-parayko/

They suggest the Sabres should be in on this trade. The ask, 2023 1st, Ryan Johnson and Rasmus Asplund.  The AAV is bigger than Chychrun, but not that much more.  Risk is the 7 years remaining and taking him until he is 36, but the cost (if accurate) is much less for what could be a more stabilizing force for a guy like Power, than Chychrun.  

Parayko is low - #30 on TSN trade bait. 

• Eyeroll 1

5 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

They suggest the Sabres should be in on this trade. The ask, 2023 1st, Ryan Johnson and Rasmus Asplund.  The AAV is bigger than Chychrun, but not that much more.  Risk is the 7 years remaining and taking him until he is 36, but the cost (if accurate) is much less for what could be a more stabilizing force for a guy like Power, than Chychrun.  

No. The length of the contract makes him unappealing. I would rather give up less costly assets for a third pairing defenseman who is in the Lyubushkin strata. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

He's got good hockey left but idk about that many years. 

He could possibly end up the grizzled vet on a cup team some day though. 

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

They traded him to Buffalo?  😉

No. Speculation is Rangers but the tweet was cryptic 😀

1 hour ago, Broken Ankles said:

Career wise very healthy, signed long term, cup winner. Is he on the decline or just the blues having a bad year? I’d rather have him than chychrun 

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Ryan Reynolds Wtf GIF

57 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I still like the idea of Meier without an extension in place at the right price.

Off the main roster either mitts or olofsson

any prospect not named Kulich or Savoie 

Plus 2023 1st and 2nd 

admittedly it probably won’t be enough to get the Sharks to bite  

I want to keep Östlund. He's like Krebs, feisty. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

I still like the idea of Meier without an extension in place at the right price.

Off the main roster either mitts or olofsson

any prospect not named Kulich or Savoie 

Plus 2023 1st and 2nd 

admittedly it probably won’t be enough to get the Sharks to bite  

I would think Levi is our most important prospect right now.  

Edited by Pimlach

4 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

Don't understand how people give value to a college player about to be a UFA in a month.  Johnson has very little trade value,  if any. 

9 hours ago, JohnC said:

It's difficult to summarize because there were so many potential trades commented on. One interesting comment dealt with Arizona and the trading of Chychrun. There was the thought that Arizona overplayed its hand by waiting to trade him. It was felt that the trading of other defensemen for more reasonable prices devalued the return on Chychrun. The Shayna Goldman segment was worth listening to. The Dreger segment wasn't. 

Chychrun would be a great pick up. Talented Defenseman with size. Which is needed. And still has a year left under his deal. 

Wonder what AZ are asking? If not asking a first then I'd be interested. Maybe we could send them Bryson and a 3rd? 😉 

5 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

Why would he be a more stabilizing force than Chychrun? Did they expound on that? 

Chychrun is under contract through 2024 and won't ruin our cap; and if he moves on then Power will be entering his 3rd season and shouldn't need a "stabilizing force" by then. 

11 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Depending on how long Tuch is on IR we need another big winger who can score...

Meier, Jeanette, Wilson, Anderson, or Crouse?  Who should KA target?

It does depend on how long Tuch is on IR. But, I would not give away a ton of assets just to replace Tuch while he is injured. Now, to add to the mix of a two-way forward - which is desperately needed, imo - that would be great. 

2 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

Why would he be a more stabilizing force than Chychrun? Did they expound on that? 

Chychrun is under contract through 2024 and won't ruin our cap; and if he moves on then Power will be entering his 3rd season and shouldn't need a "stabilizing force" by then. 

It does depend on how long Tuch is on IR. But, I would not give away a ton of assets just to replace Tuch while he is injured. Now, to add to the mix of a two-way forward - which is desperately needed, imo - that would be great. 

Could have had a winger for 2nd round pick. Would have helped us for sure.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.