Sabres Trade Deadline 2023 Discussion

GASabresIUFAN

Playoff contention - What position(s) should KA upgrade for the playoff push?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Playoff contention - What position(s) should KA upgrade without hurting the team long-term

• Goaltender - We need another goalie, I'm not comfortable with UPL, Comrie and Andy for the playoffs
    • 2nd pair Defense - Jokiharju needs to be upgraded
    • 3rd pair Defense - Bryson needs to be upgraded
    • Defense depth - I want someone better than Clague in the 7th D slot
    • Forward depth - We need a better 13th forward than Vinnie or Asplund
    • Scoring Depth - Upgrade one of Mitts or VO now. Don't wait until the off-season
    • 4th line - As much as I like KO and Z, we need more grit and more production from the 4th line
  2. 2. How many deals will KA complete by the trade deadline

• 0 - KA won't spend any assets to help this team
    • 1 or 2 - KA will utilize our cap space to help other deals get done, but won't acquire any help at the deadline
    • 1 or 2 - KA will acquire some D help at the deadline.
    • 3 or 4 - KA will acquire D help and will also pick up assets using our cap space to help others get deals done
    • 5 or more - KA is going to bolster the Sabres and the Amerks.

This poll is closed to new votes

Let us all not forget something here. And that is this, these Sabres are currently holding a playoff spot, they are young, and they are showing not only themselves but the Sabres fan base that they can compete.

Yes, add, but add wisely. This team is a scoring power house more often than not, it could use some tweaks g on the front end to balance the scoring out amongst the lines, but the D and the crease need upgrades for sure, if the price is right.

I expect this team to make some surprising noise in the playoffs, and I'm talking about their opponent moaning in pain instead of us noise. These kids are hungry, and it more than shows.

Edited by Scottysabres

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Anybody else psyched at the fact that Friday will be interesting all day as the Sabres MAY actually be looking to add for the 1st time in seemingly forever? Trade deadline day used to be such fun and it has been a non-event around here for years.

Deadline selling is for suckers.  Let’s take advantage of them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Anybody else psyched at the fact that Friday will be interesting all day as the Sabres MAY actually be looking to add for the 1st time in seemingly forever? Trade deadline day used to be such fun and it has been a non-event around here for years.

How soon they forget Wayne Simmonds.

(And the 6-game losing streak that followed.)

37 minutes ago, Taro T said:

I wish, but I've been disappointed too many trade deadlines...I am more inclined to believe GMKA sticks to his guns.

• Agree 2

We aren't getting a goaltender worth anything at the trade deadline. That would have to be a move for next year. The best move might be signing Levi and bringing him up.

53 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

I wish, but I've been disappointed too many trade deadlines...I am more inclined to believe GMKA sticks to his guns.

Why be disappointed. They should not need to add anything to make the playoffs. They are simply better than the other teams fighting for wildcard spots.

23 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Find a dman. Jensen would be a great fit but Wsh might not move him if they are still close. Someone with some defensive inclination would be great.

9 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Mitts is not being traded - not the way he’s been playing and the fact we’re down Tuch for a month +

There was no way Mitts was getting traded this season even before the deadline. Playing mostly on the 3rd line, Mitt’s is 5th among our forwards in Assists and Points.  

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

The closer we get, and the more teams have already made their big moves, the more intriguing the idea of Chychrun becomes to me.

I’m guessing the reason he hasn’t been moved yet is the asking price is too high. I almost wonder if this is a tactic AZ is deploying so they can keep him while showing him they tried.

I’d be all for adding him if the price is right. His injury history concerns me and I’d imagine many of the GMs that may be interested in him.

2 minutes ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

I’m guessing the reason he hasn’t been moved yet is the asking price is too high. I almost wonder if this is a tactic AZ is deploying so they can keep him while showing him they tried.

I’d be all for adding him if the price is right. His injury history concerns me and I’d imagine many of the GMs that may be interested in him.

Were he playing the past 2 weeks, maybe.  No way are they putting on a show for a guy they've kept in bubble wrap for 1/2 a month.

Given that Tuch could miss the remainder of the regular season, Dahlin is banged up, the defense still stinks and the goaltending is spotty at best what should KA do?

We have 3 2nd this coming draft, but no 3rd.  We have no extra picks in 2024 and 2025, but we haven’t traded any of them either.

Capfriendly says we have 79 Mill in cap space as well.

If I were KA, I doubt he’d trade for a goalie.  However, I do think even he realizes we need D help.  I think a Chychrun deal is unlikely, but a deal for Schenn or Jensen is likely.  I’d also like to see him pick up an extra pick or 2 using the cap space.  This would free him up to add someone like 26 year old Jordan Greenway who has 2 years  left at 3 mill (cap hit).  He is having a terrible year, but in the right situation he could easily be a 40 pt player.  He’s also 6’6 225 and willing to be physical.  He has USNTDP experience and played for DG.  My guess is we could get him for a player like Rousek and a 4th if we take the entire cap hit. 

19 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Yep - he did make one stupid pass today but otherwise was a game changer 

I remember a time when the tender would use the paddle of his stick to let the guys know if someone had snuck in behind them or was coming out of the sin bin. Maybe UPL didn’t notice ? Anyways it was a big gaff.

Edited by bunomatic

4 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

I remember a time when the tender would use the paddle of his stick to let the guys know if someone had snuck in behind them or was coming out of the sin bin. Maybe UPL didn’t notice ? Anyways it was a big gaff.

It was on Mittelstadt.  The Caps penalty had already ended and he didn't want to just turn the puck over by dumping it in.  He saw Power out of the corner of his eye but didn't realize Power was about to go to the bench.  Considering Samuelsson was already coming off the bench, there wasn't really anything for Owen to do there.

Mitts needed to understand that giving the Caps the puck behind their own net was the correct play there.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.