Sabres Trade Deadline 2023 Discussion

GASabresIUFAN

Playoff contention - What position(s) should KA upgrade for the playoff push?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Playoff contention - What position(s) should KA upgrade without hurting the team long-term

• Goaltender - We need another goalie, I'm not comfortable with UPL, Comrie and Andy for the playoffs
    • 2nd pair Defense - Jokiharju needs to be upgraded
    • 3rd pair Defense - Bryson needs to be upgraded
    • Defense depth - I want someone better than Clague in the 7th D slot
    • Forward depth - We need a better 13th forward than Vinnie or Asplund
    • Scoring Depth - Upgrade one of Mitts or VO now. Don't wait until the off-season
    • 4th line - As much as I like KO and Z, we need more grit and more production from the 4th line
  2. 2. How many deals will KA complete by the trade deadline

• 0 - KA won't spend any assets to help this team
    • 1 or 2 - KA will utilize our cap space to help other deals get done, but won't acquire any help at the deadline
    • 1 or 2 - KA will acquire some D help at the deadline.
    • 3 or 4 - KA will acquire D help and will also pick up assets using our cap space to help others get deals done
    • 5 or more - KA is going to bolster the Sabres and the Amerks.

This poll is closed to new votes

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Isak Rosen, 2024 1st (top 5 protect), 2023 2nd (highest one), Josh Bloom, and Jacob Bryson for Jacob Chychrun. That would be my offer. 

Arizona has 3 seconds next year so they probably don't want anymore. They only have 1 this year so that's an improvement for them. Offsets the 1st rounder being next years. 

A 2024 first is nice and also defers a little bit of the cost while still giving them the 1st they want. 

Isak Rosen is a 1st round pick with lots of offensive upside. Fits in to the young core they are assembling. 

Josh Bloom has bottom 6 potential with some size and again fits into the core they are creating. 

Bryson replaces Chychrun while given them someone cheap for next year as well. 

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Chicago set the price for a cap dump with term left. 

Mike Reilly, a 2nd or (3rd and 5th) to Buffalo for Future Considerations.

If Washington decides to trade pending UFAs in addition to Orlov-Nik Jensen would be a target. Probably would cost a 2024 3rd or the Vegas 2023 2nd 

Based on what Chad DeDomincis has been tweeting and putting in His Articles-a depth defenseman appears to be the most likely move. 

If KA makes the two moves described above I'll be a very happy Sabrespacer.  

Merging the two deals, If we add Chychrun, Reilly, a 2nd (or 3rd and 5th) for Bryson, Rosen, Bloom, a 1st and a 2nd.  I would say KA has done right by the team, secured excellent depth for this season and next, and gone a long way toward making the team better.   

I'm also very interested in Jensen and Orlov.  Both were on my list this off-season of veteran guys who would make the team better and help shepherd/mentor the kids. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

2 minutes ago, LTS said:

But why are they getting rid of Crouse?  He's 25 and signed.  Did I miss a reason they'd offload him?

I think Crouse is like the Samuelsson-like defenceman from San Jose: fans want to get him, so they mention it.   I don't think either is available.

25 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Interesting list.  Anyone you want besides the usual suspects.  I have an interest in Jordan Greenway.

But is he coming here is the real question.

I'd take Greenway or Jeannot I think. 

I'll go on record as saying I'd take Borgen back in a hot minute too. 

Oh and Farabee, for the right price 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, tom webster said:

What are you talking about? They pick up a top 4 defenseman and a good grinder for picks that have a small chance of being better than bottom six forwards or third pair defensemen three years for now.

a 1 a 2 a 3 a 5 and a cap dump for 2 rentals and some retention. That doesn't feel steep?  Even if you don't make the picks yourself it's ammunition to include in a trade.

The Sabres aren't gonna do jack diddly this year. They aren't going to make the playoffs.  They're not in a position to turn up their nose at things that can be used to improve the club in exchange for things that have an April 2023 expiration date.

Edited by Contempt

2 hours ago, Contempt said:

a 1 a 2 a 3 a 5 and a cap dump for 2 rentals and some retention. That doesn't feel steep?  Even if you don't make the picks yourself it's ammunition to include in a trade.

The Sabres aren't gonna do jack diddly this year. They aren't going to make the playoffs.  They're not in a position to turn up their nose at things that can be used to improve the club in exchange for things that have an April 2023 expiration date.

A) They don’t a defenseman like Orlov to trade

B) Fans overvalue draft picks, especially picks at the end of the round or two years down the road 

• Like (+1) 1

“Hi Nashville, we notice you have a 5’11 Finnish goalie. Boy that is small for today’s NHL. Tell you what. We have a 6’4 Finnish goalie, perfect size for today’s NHL. He even has 3 names. We would be willing to swap out of the goodness of our heart. Might even throw in a prospect or pick as well”😛

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Haha (+1) 1

I don't think the Sabres should make any big moves and i doubt they are anyways, the goaltending just isn't good enough and the team is too inconsistent. But they should get a dmen to improve on Bryson. He's become a liability. He was awful against Toronto, awful against Tampa. I think Clauge is better and i know he's coming off a little injury, but they should get someone better then him too. We can't improve on the goalies, we gotta live n die with what we have, but we can add some reinforcement on defense.

3 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Boston is quite literally shoving all their chips in.

This is why it's folly for the Sabres to do anything crazy.  Boston is going all, all in.  The Leafs just did. Tampa has to be wondering what they can do.  Every team near the top of the standings in the East, except the Devils are on their last legs.

Making the playoffs would be great.. but the Sabres aren't quite ready to make a good run.  No need to give up a solid long run starting next year for a one and done this year.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, LTS said:

This is why it's folly for the Sabres to do anything crazy.  Boston is going all, all in.  The Leafs just did. Tampa has to be wondering what they can do.  Every team near the top of the standings in the East, except the Devils are on their last legs.

Making the playoffs would be great.. but the Sabres aren't quite ready to make a good run.  No need to give up a solid long run starting next year for a one and done this year.

Adding depth on defense isn't going crazy.  It's something that KA needed to do last summer and didn't manage to get done.  If he can manage to add depth with term, then he has bolstered the D for this season and beyond.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Adding depth on defense isn't going crazy.  It's something that KA needed to do last summer and didn't manage to get done.  If he can manage to add depth with term, then he has bolstered the D for this season and beyond.

And I never said adding depth is crazy. Why are you insinuating that I did?  That said.. trade deadline deals are often not the best value deals. There's no need to do anything.. the Sabres aren't winning anything this year.. no need to give up the future for the now.

19 minutes ago, LTS said:

And I never said adding depth is crazy. Why are you insinuating that I did?  That said.. trade deadline deals are often not the best value deals. There's no need to do anything.. the Sabres aren't winning anything this year.. no need to give up the future for the now.

But making the playoffs and giving a young team that experience is extremely valuable long-term.  While it’s highly unlikely they’ll win a series even if they make it, it isn’t impossible.  Don’t forget that there is also value for the players when the GM shows faith in the team by adding at the deadline.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LTS said:

I agree, don't give up high valued organizational assets for a mere appearance at the dance. 

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

But making the playoffs and giving a young team that experience is extremely valuable long-term.  While it’s highly unlikely they’ll win a series even if they make it, it isn’t impossible.  Don’t forget that there is also value for the players when the GM shows faith in the team by adding at the deadline.

I also agree with this, moves should be made to reward the existing roster for their hard work at keeping the organization in the hunt to go to the dance.

Minnesota has received a 4th and a 5th round pick for retaining 25% of salary on ROR and Orlov deals.

Low percentage of finding a quality NHLer with those picks but you never know. They can also be bundled to move up and get a guy  that your staff identifies as a great steal.

I want to see Bryson traded or pushed down the depth chart. Even a Dante Fabbro would be better. Caps are selling, Jensen could be had.

Weaponize your cap space KA.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.