Sabres Trade Deadline 2023 Discussion

GASabresIUFAN

Playoff contention - What position(s) should KA upgrade for the playoff push?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Playoff contention - What position(s) should KA upgrade without hurting the team long-term

• Goaltender - We need another goalie, I'm not comfortable with UPL, Comrie and Andy for the playoffs
    • 2nd pair Defense - Jokiharju needs to be upgraded
    • 3rd pair Defense - Bryson needs to be upgraded
    • Defense depth - I want someone better than Clague in the 7th D slot
    • Forward depth - We need a better 13th forward than Vinnie or Asplund
    • Scoring Depth - Upgrade one of Mitts or VO now. Don't wait until the off-season
    • 4th line - As much as I like KO and Z, we need more grit and more production from the 4th line
  2. 2. How many deals will KA complete by the trade deadline

• 0 - KA won't spend any assets to help this team
    • 1 or 2 - KA will utilize our cap space to help other deals get done, but won't acquire any help at the deadline
    • 1 or 2 - KA will acquire some D help at the deadline.
    • 3 or 4 - KA will acquire D help and will also pick up assets using our cap space to help others get deals done
    • 5 or more - KA is going to bolster the Sabres and the Amerks.

This poll is closed to new votes

8 minutes ago, Radar said:

No scoring isn't an issue but our forwards defense is. It's not all a  problem with the defensemen but a problem with our defense.

I was going through each teams capfriendly pages this morning to see what's out there name wise. Many others on this site can fill me in, but I'm not seeing a whole lot appealing out there. I am over looking some affordable players? I really would be interested. 

• Like (+1) 1

I added a new poll question asking home many deals does KA complete by the deadline?

In his first year, he completed 4 trades, dumping Staal, Johansson, Montour, and Hall for 2021 6th (Novikov), 2021 3rd (Bloom) and 5th (Marjala), 2021 3rd (Sardarian), 2021 2nd (Kisakov) and my favorite player Anders Bjork.  

Last season he sent Hagg to the Panthers for a 6th (Karlsson).

• Like (+1) 1

If you upgrade and add a 2nd pair defender you get the positive ripple effect of also upgrading the 3rd pair since Joker would move down to that pair, and Bryson/Clague would be pushed to 7/8 giving more depth overall.  

So you don't break the bank, but add a solid 4/5 guy and see what defensive combo's work the best.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4

On 2/19/2023 at 6:30 PM, triumph_communes said:

That’s a system/coaching problem

The PK is partially a coaching issue, but also a goaltender one.  

Getting a stay at home D who can kill penalties would also help.  

One question that comes to mind is who does KA trade/waive if he acquires someone?  Will he move Bryson or Clague in the deal to get a D or will he move on from Asplund knowing he has Vinnie and others in the AHL if a forward is needed?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Agree 1

The article about Savoie in the Athletic that was quoted in the prospect thread got me thinking that a guy like James Patrick, who is Savoie's coach and who spent the last 6 seasons of a 20-season NHL career with the Sabres, would be a great pickup.  Smart, calm, still a really good skater, previously a major NHL star who moved a bit lower into the lineup but still a very valuable contributor -- that kind of guy.  Teppo Numminen filled the same type of role very well for the Sabres after the lockout.

Not sure if there is a guy like that out there who's available in the next couple of weeks, but I'd love to see something along those lines.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

21 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It's time to get rid of the 3 headed goalie monster.  Either trade Comrie or send down UPL.  This will open a roster spot to add depth on defense.  

I would give UPL one more game next week against Columbus.  I don't want him to be sent down after that LEAFS game...that would just mess with his confidence.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/21/2023 at 5:49 PM, nfreeman said:

The article about Savoie in the Athletic that was quoted in the prospect thread got me thinking that a guy like James Patrick, who is Savoie's coach and who spent the last 6 seasons of a 20-season NHL career with the Sabres, would be a great pickup.  Smart, calm, still a really good skater, previously a major NHL star who moved a bit lower into the lineup but still a very valuable contributor -- that kind of guy.  Teppo Numminen filled the same type of role very well for the Sabres after the lockout.

Not sure if there is a guy like that out there who's available in the next couple of weeks, but I'd love to see something along those lines.

On 2/21/2023 at 6:06 PM, Brawndo said:

Dmitri Orlov has been added to the trade bait board 

@nfreeman Please see Dmitri Orlov.  He was someone I mentioned in the off-season that I thought could be available if Wash was going to try to rebuild on the fly.  I'd love to see him here, especially with so many Russians coming in the pipeline.  He is still very effective at both ends of the ice, would provide leadership to the young D group and would be a really good initial partner for Power.  Only 31, but a UFA.  He does have a M-NTC, but I'd love to get him.  To get him to come, I'd have zero issue with giving him a 3 year 12 mill extension.

By the way, don't get your hopes up.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

9 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

@nfreeman Please see Dmitri Orlov.  He was someone I mentioned in the off-season that I thought could be available if Wash was going to try to rebuild on the fly.  I'd love to see him here, especially with so many Russians coming in the pipeline.  He is still very effective at both ends of the ice, would provide leadership to the young D group and would be a really good initial partner for Power.  Only 31, but a UFA.  He does have a M-NTC, but I'd love to get him.  To get him to come, I'd have zero issue with giving him a 3 year 12 mill extension.

By the way, don't get your hopes up.

Orlov would be great, but he seems more likely to be a rental that a contender pays a handsome price for.  I think I read in the Athletic the other day that he's the top defenseman on the trade market after Karlsson.

As for getting my hopes up, while I don't expect an Orlov or Chycrun or Meier-level move at the deadline, I think it's about 60% likely that KA brings in a vet defenseman, probably with term remaining, in a lower-profile, lower-cost move.  He's not going to part with a #1 or a top prospect but I can see him giving up a #2.

We'll see.

• Like (+1) 2

Agreed. Both the PK and PP have been awful. Even when we were scoring on the PP a few months ago expected goal numbers were relatively low. I don't know what coach handles special teams but he may need to be replaced in the near future. 

• Agree 1

Isak Rosen, 2024 1st (top 5 protect), 2023 2nd (highest one), Josh Bloom, and Jacob Bryson for Jacob Chychrun. That would be my offer. 

Arizona has 3 seconds next year so they probably don't want anymore. They only have 1 this year so that's an improvement for them. Offsets the 1st rounder being next years. 

A 2024 first is nice and also defers a little bit of the cost while still giving them the 1st they want. 

Isak Rosen is a 1st round pick with lots of offensive upside. Fits in to the young core they are assembling. 

Josh Bloom has bottom 6 potential with some size and again fits into the core they are creating. 

Bryson replaces Chychrun while given them someone cheap for next year as well. 

22 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Isak Rosen, 2024 1st (top 5 protect), 2023 2nd (highest one), Josh Bloom, and Jacob Bryson for Jacob Chychrun. That would be my offer. 

Arizona has 3 seconds next year so they probably don't want anymore. They only have 1 this year so that's an improvement for them. Offsets the 1st rounder being next years. 

A 2024 first is nice and also defers a little bit of the cost while still giving them the 1st they want. 

Isak Rosen is a 1st round pick with lots of offensive upside. Fits in to the young core they are assembling. 

Josh Bloom has bottom 6 potential with some size and again fits into the core they are creating. 

Bryson is a replacement for Chychrun in the same way a bag of human manure would be a replacement for a steak dinner. On an elemental level they are essentially the same thing, but you'd much rather have one than the other.

• dislike 1

30 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

So we get him this year and next.    Does he play defense good enough to really fit in?  Sure, he replaces Bryson so that is a big step up but factor in Power's growth next season and wouldn't a big and mobile and more "stay at home" guy make sense and cost less?  

I have only seen him play a few times, he seems to be hurt a lot.  

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/21/2023 at 4:49 PM, nfreeman said:

I guy like Patrick, or Teppo, or players of that ilk would be great for Power (and Dahlin).   

That is the kind of acquisition KA should look for in a deadline trade.  Not too expensive, add a solid and steady veteran, and try to make your best run at the playoffs.  Show the core you are helping them.  

• Agree 1

Chicago set the price for a cap dump with term left. 

Mike Reilly, a 2nd or (3rd and 5th) to Buffalo for Future Considerations.

If Washington decides to trade pending UFAs in addition to Orlov-Nik Jensen would be a target. Probably would cost a 2024 3rd or the Vegas 2023 2nd 

Based on what Chad DeDomincis has been tweeting and putting in His Articles-a depth defenseman appears to be the most likely move. 

• Like (+1) 1

Yes and no.  As I have stated many times I am not an expert at hockey X's and O's, never coached or anything close to it.

But, it looks like they are still in 'development' mode, throwing guys out there that are not the best at Penalty killing (yet) but letting them get experience.  When I watch replays of a lot of the Sabres goals allowed, I don't see a huge lack of talent, lack of effort, or 'bad systems'. What I see is inexperienced players making a lot of mistakes and getting out of postion.

The Toronto PP goal the other night is an example.  Lybushkin vacates his spot in 'the box' to chace the puck to the boards.  In an experienced unit I would expect he would either leave that to the winger/forward or, better yet, if he does he would KNOW the forward will cover his spot.  However, Krebs was the forward on that side of the ice, not only did Krebs not cover the vacated spot, but he followed right behind Lybushkin to the same spot on the ice.  I have NO IDEA what he expected to do there as Lybushkin was in front of him and was going to get to the puck first.  So, now both players on that side of the ice are on the boards, the puck comes out and goes right to their vacated spots where the goal is scored from.

A more experienced player than Krebs (maybe Krebs in a year from now) doesn't do that...or a more experienced unit has that forward (Krebs) and that D-man (Lybushkin) know each other better form spending more time playing with each other and knows not to do that.

So I don't think the coaching staff is sabotaging the PK unit to look bad, but I do think they are letting the unit 'take its lumps' while players learn from their mistakes and they figure out who the long term guys out there will be.  It would be easy to just put out Jost, Okposo, and Girgensons as your forwards all the time, but all of them aren't likely to be here long term. Gotta see which of the young guys will be the 'next ones up' and let those young guys get experience, even if it means mistakes.  You don't want them to make mistakes now when in a playoff push of course, but probably better now than next year when you are pushing for a LOT more than just the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.