Sabres Trade Deadline 2023 Discussion

GASabresIUFAN

Playoff contention - What position(s) should KA upgrade for the playoff push?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Playoff contention - What position(s) should KA upgrade without hurting the team long-term

• Goaltender - We need another goalie, I'm not comfortable with UPL, Comrie and Andy for the playoffs
    • 2nd pair Defense - Jokiharju needs to be upgraded
    • 3rd pair Defense - Bryson needs to be upgraded
    • Defense depth - I want someone better than Clague in the 7th D slot
    • Forward depth - We need a better 13th forward than Vinnie or Asplund
    • Scoring Depth - Upgrade one of Mitts or VO now. Don't wait until the off-season
    • 4th line - As much as I like KO and Z, we need more grit and more production from the 4th line
  2. 2. How many deals will KA complete by the trade deadline

• 0 - KA won't spend any assets to help this team
    • 1 or 2 - KA will utilize our cap space to help other deals get done, but won't acquire any help at the deadline
    • 1 or 2 - KA will acquire some D help at the deadline.
    • 3 or 4 - KA will acquire D help and will also pick up assets using our cap space to help others get deals done
    • 5 or more - KA is going to bolster the Sabres and the Amerks.

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Absolutely believe that all things being equal, he'd rather the Sabres make the playoffs than don't.  The kicker is, he was never going to sacrifice a chunk of where this team will be at down the road to attempt to insure the team gets into the playoffs this year, especially considering how precarious their position is - they are 1 of  7 teams battling for the rights to face either the Bruins or the Canes.  And then should a minor miracle happen, the winner of either the Bolts Loafs or the Rags Devils.  Even if he gave up all 3 of last year's picks this team would be a Dahlin and a goalie injury away from not being good enough to be 1 of the 2 sacrificial lambs.

Adams improved the team today and for next year too in all likelihood, and all at the cost of their likely worst 2nd round pick, a 5th next year,  and a F that is 4 years out if he can even break through the logjam at F.

I posted Yzerman’s comments on another thread, but they are pertinent here as well.

His presser made it crystal clear that his focus is not on the battle (making the playoffs), it’s on the war (winning a cup).

It’s what Adams has been saying all along, and the way Yzerman spelled it out really resonated with me.

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Is anyone else surprised that KA failed to “weaponize” our cap space for the 2nd deadline in a row?

Not really, my theory is that when Adams got his tear down rebuild plan approved by Pegula, he also agreed to keep costs low for a couple seasons.  Pegula was maybe sick of spending to the cap for non competitive teams.

Just my personal theory.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.