Buffalo Bills: Damar Hamlin collapsed and taken to hospital

LGR4GM

30 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Interesting. Why the defibrillator?

In Vfib, the electrical currents sent to the heart are jumbled up, there are electrical gradients that make the heart run through bundles in certain areas of the heart (controlled by + and - ions with potassium, magnesium, chloride, etc) 

When Vfib occurs the bottom part of the heart isn't pumping at all, the Ventricles (bigger chambers) are needed to pump out blood and the bundles essentially aren't working. By Defibrillating at a certain number of Joules, you essentially are sending currents to that bundle system to reorganize and start working the correct way to make the heart beat In sync. 

Sometimes MI (heart attack) can cause this or a significant electrolyte abnormality can be reversible causes of arrythmias, in this case it was due to trauma which is a rare phenomenon but still caused the Ventricles to not get sufficient current and go into this rhythm, the Defib corrects this, although it sometimes can take multiple shocks. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

In Vfib, the electrical currents sent to the heart are jumbled up, there are electrical gradients that make the heart run through bundles in certain areas of the heart (controlled by + and - ions with potassium, magnesium, chloride, etc) 

When Vfib occurs the bottom part of the heart isn't pumping at all, the Ventricles (bigger chambers) are needed to pump out blood and the bundles essentially aren't working. By Defibrillating at a certain number of Joules, you essentially are sending currents to that bundle system to reorganize and start working the correct way to make the heart beat In sync. 

Sometimes MI (heart attack) can cause this or a significant electrolyte abnormality can be reversible causes of arrythmias, in this case it was due to trauma which is a rare phenomenon but still caused the Ventricles to not get sufficient current and go into this rhythm, the Defib corrects this, although it sometimes can take multiple shocks. 

Well duh. I knew that. (Yeah right lol.)

I guess my question was why he would need a defibrillator in the future.

20 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Well duh. I knew that. (Yeah right lol.)

I guess my question was why he would need a defibrillator in the future.

Either he has the worst timing on the planet with that hit, or there's is something that caused his young healthy heart to go into a deadly arrhythmia. 

It's not a 100% given they will do it, but putting in an Implantable defib would be there as a failsafe in case this were to ever happen again. At the first instance of a deadly arrhythmia a defib would shock and keep this scene from happening ever again. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Either he has the worst timing on the planet with that hit, or there's is something that caused his young healthy heart to go into a deadly arrhythmia. 

It's not a 100% given they will do it, but putting in an Implantable defib would be there as a failsafe in case this were to ever happen again. At the first instance of a deadly arrhythmia a defib would shock and keep this scene from happening ever again. 

Interesting. 

3 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

This is very highly likely a Vfib arrest with the timing of the hit being in the microsecond that it needed to cause this. Vfib has a poor prognosis in general. The fact that they got the AED and CPR going so fast may be the only saving grace. 

Here’s the issue I have with the V fib story. He took the hit, got up and was talking to teammates, then he suddenly dropped. So, about 5 seconds passed between the hit and the collapse. Now, he could be in V fib for those 5 seconds before anoxia to the brain caused him to drop. If we assume that he did indeed have V fib, which is a shockable rhythm, did they defibrillate after 2 minutes of CPR? Then seemed to do 9 min of CPR, which is indicated, but they should’ve been shocking in between sets. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Here’s the issue I have with the V fib story. He took the hit, got up and was talking to teammates, then he suddenly dropped. So, about 5 seconds passed between the hit and the collapse. Now, he could be in V fib for those 5 seconds before anoxia to the brain caused him to drop. If we assume that he did indeed have V fib, which is a shockable rhythm, did they defibrillate after 2 minutes of CPR? Then seemed to do 9 min of CPR, which is indicated, but they should’ve been shocking in between sets. 

Yeah, there are some inconsistencies with the story and we don't know exactly what happened on the field. I know our ems does a lot of wonky stuff sometimes especially in critical situations; you multiply that by 8,000,000 in this situation and they may have been overly aggressive on the field. 

An aneurysm or dissection seems less likely as well as a carotid issues or a cervical issue, I don't think he'd stand up if it was neuro/cervical

They probbaly just placed an AED and they may have multiple shocks in between CPR, but we don't know exactly. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Have teammates said he was taking to them? That looked a lot quicker than 5 seconds. If anyone mentioned taking to him it could very well be him be of those cases where they are in shock and don’t have a clear memory of exactly what happened. 

2 hours ago, shrader said:

Have teammates said he was taking to them? That looked a lot quicker than 5 seconds. If anyone mentioned taking to him it could very well be him be of those cases where they are in shock and don’t have a clear memory of exactly what happened. 

I have not seen that he “talked” to anyone. He stood up and within 2 seconds, collapsed.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

I have not seen that he “talked” to anyone. He stood up and within 2 seconds, collapsed.

That’s pretty much my thought too, a bang-bang very quick series of moments. But like I said about the players, I’m sure I could be off on what I remember too. 

19 minutes ago, shrader said:

That’s pretty much my thought too, a bang-bang very quick series of moments. But like I said about the players, I’m sure I could be off on what I remember too. 

He certainly didn’t communicate with any teammates.  
He stood for a second, started to adjust his helmet and collapsed.  

Really hope we get some sort of good news about his condition tonight.  

4 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Every NFL team, the NFL itself, & at least the Bisons (probably the Sabres & Bandits too) have made their Twitter avatar a blue background with the words "Pray for Damar 3" across it.

Very nice gesture.

1 minute ago, Crusader1969 said:

He certainly didn’t communicate with any teammates.  
He stood for a second, started to adjust his helmet and collapsed.  

Really hope we get some sort of good news about his condition tonight.  

Saw a tweet that the hospital won't have any updates today.  Hoping no news is good news.

4 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Yeah, there are some inconsistencies with the story and we don't know exactly what happened on the field. I know our ems does a lot of wonky stuff sometimes especially in critical situations; you multiply that by 8,000,000 in this situation and they may have been overly aggressive on the field. 

An aneurysm or dissection seems less likely as well as a carotid issues or a cervical issue, I don't think he'd stand up if it was neuro/cervical

They probbaly just placed an AED and they may have multiple shocks in between CPR, but we don't know exactly. 

I know the EMS crews have protocols and their own medical direction but they had higher level of care on the field with them. I would think the doctors on the field would control the care and when to defib. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Sidc3000 said:

I know the EMS crews have protocols and their own medical direction but they had higher level of care on the field with them. I would think the doctors on the field would control the care and when to defib. 

That would be reasonable, but if it was just an AED, you just stop CPR and let the machine detect the rhythm and deliver the shock, they're amazing in how accurate they are that you don't need a trauma team to run an ACLS protocol. 

Either way, I am 1000% confident those on the field had all the medical training and ability to handle it and I'm confident it was handled as best as humanly possible outside the hospital setting. 

Just now, Wyldnwoody44 said:

That would be reasonable, but if it was just an AED, you just stop CPR and let the machine detect the rhythm and deliver the shock, they're amazing in how accurate they are that you don't need a trauma team to run an ACLS protocol. 

Either way, I am 1000% confident those on the field had all the medical training and ability to handle it and I'm confident it was handled as best as humanly possible outside the hospital setting. 

Yeh we have an automatic aed in CT for just this issue.

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Cnn.com has an interview up with Damar's uncle. Damar is being kept on his belly to aid in breathing. This is something we heard a lot about as the pandemic wore on. "Trending upwards," says Unc.

When I had Covid in Dec 2020 the docs had me sleeping on my stomach for 6 months to force air deep into my lungs to help clear the lung infection.  My lungs were finally clear in March 2022.  That is not a typo.

• Thanks (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

When I had Covid in Dec 2020 the docs had me sleeping on my stomach for 6 months to force air deep into my lungs to help clear the lung infection.  My lungs were finally clear in March 2022.  That is not a typo.

I have been coughing a lot since switching from my stomach to my side.  Maybe I'll switch back.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.