Buffalo Bills: Damar Hamlin collapsed and taken to hospital

LGR4GM

Can @Wyldnwoody44or another medically knowledgeable person shed some light on a question? It was reported that Damar’s vitals had returned to normal, but if he was intubated and placed on a respirator, doesn’t that suggest that at least one of his vitals, his respiration, has not normalized? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Tonight sucked.

It was also somewhat reassuring.

If there was news the he was fine within even 30 minutes, they would have resumed play.

They didn’t get that news, so they didn’t. I have no problem with the time it took.

I think every one acted with aplomb, to a degree I’m actually kind of impressed with.

McDermott and Taylor get major props. Class guys.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Can @Wyldnwoody44or another medically knowledgeable person shed some light on a question? It was reported that Damar’s vitals had returned to normal, but if he was intubated and placed on a respirator, doesn’t that suggest that at least one of his vitals, his respiration, has not normalized? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Havent seen report on a respirator... but intubation is basically similar with O2 flowing through a tube through trachea into lungs.  What it means is his O2 levels in his blood are normal and his heart is beating normally... whether there are any other issues including brain issues will be a matter for tests once he is fully stabilized and off O2.  Talking to ER docs tonight at work about a 35% chance of survival but he is young... we wont know much til tomorrow or later.

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, Andrew Amerk said:

Somebody definitely did, because right after that, the broadcast showed Burrow starting to warm up and throw a football around. 

Always a lot of confusion when stuff like this goes down.. probably going off normal op but this was anything but normal.

6 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Havent seen report on a respirator... but intubation is basically similar with O2 flowing through a tube through trachea into lungs.  What it means is his O2 levels in his blood are normal and his heart is beating normally... whether there are any other issues including brain issues will be a matter for tests once he is fully stabilized and off O2.  Talking to ER docs tonight at work about a 35% chance of survival but he is young... we wont know much til tomorrow or later.

Thanks for the insight, much appreciated. I just assumed, based on earlier reports that he was unable to breathe on his own, that the intubation included a respirator. Chalk it up to my naïveté that it might be just be an oxygen tube only. Thanks again. 

Question for the pros. With blood flow stopped (or inadequate in the case of vfib), if CPR started almost immediately and he got defibrillated quickly, why wouldn't we expect a full recovery?

Are the cardiac arrest mentions in the media necessarily accurate?

Today is brush up on CPR day.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Question for the pros. With blood flow stopped (or inadequate in the case of vfib), if CPR started almost immediately and he got defibrillated quickly, why wouldn't we expect a full recovery?

Are the cardiac arrest mentions in the media necessarily accurate?

Today is brush up on CPR day.

Obviously we are all hoping for a full recovery for Damar. The big worry is that he had CPR for a while, (9 mins from a report I saw), where he wasn’t breathing. ~10 minutes with little to no oxygen to the brain is rough on you.

8 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Wire says league official Troy Vincent instructed coaches to take teams to the lockerroom.

Apparently no update on Damar tonight.

Some players have remained in Cincy.

Nah, something happened before that. McDermott and Taylor were speaking about it before the ref got involved. 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Nah, something happened before that. McDermott and Taylor were speaking about it before the ref got involved. 

If people want to believe that the league heartlessly wanted to force the teams to play before the two coaches heroically saved the day, I can't stop them.

9 hours ago, Jävə Keith said:

IMG_20230102_235625.jpg

This somehow falls flat for me.

3 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

Obviously we are all hoping for a full recovery for Damar. The big worry is that he had CPR for a while, (9 mins from a report I saw), where he wasn’t breathing. ~10 minutes with little to no oxygen to the brain is rough on you.

The idea of CPR is to keep the blood and oxygen flowing. And remember he got CPR from people who are very highly trained at it. Not sure if he got breaths or not and it might not matter that much as compression only CPR is urged in the general public. That said it's certainly not the ideal way for the body to get oxygen (good start the day with a no ***** sherlock statement).

15 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

If people want to believe that the league heartlessly wanted to force the teams to play before the two coaches heroically saved the day, I can't stop them.

We will find out because McDermott will get asked about it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.