Buffalo Bills: Damar Hamlin collapsed and taken to hospital

LGR4GM

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Does being intubated indicating another issue outside of cardiac arrest?

Cardiac arrest can also be intertwined with respiratory arrest, the heart may have been restarted (it sounds like) but his body still hasn't recovered breathing on his own. 

I tend to think a carotid or spinal injury would not allow him to have stood up and collapse like that. 

A Tension pneumothorax from a direct blow is a small possibility that caused cardiac injury. It's just so hard to say without being there. 

Being intubated and in critical condition is no joke and I'm so happy the NFL is postponing it for the evening. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

Just now, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Cardiac arrest can also be intertwined with respiratory arrest, the heart may have been restarted (it sounds like) but his body still hasn't recovered breathing on his own. 

I tend to think a carotid or spinal injury would not allow him to have stood up and collapse like that. 

A Tension pneumothorax from a direct blow is a small possibility that caused cardiac injury. It's just so hard to say without being there. 

Being intubated and in critical condition is no joke and I'm so happy the NFL is postponing it for the evening. 

At first, I thought it could be a dissection or something- but he wouldn't have regained a pulse thereafter, correct? (I'm not a doctor, just have them in the family...)

Just now, Crusader1969 said:

If he's on EMCO, I suspect his football career is over. This sucks! It's a game, and this ***** is so real. I'm so shocked and just have no words. The look on the players faces were some looks I've never seen during a game before. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, erickompositör72 said:

At first, I thought it could be a dissection or something- but he wouldn't have regained a pulse thereafter, correct? (I'm not a doctor, just have them in the family...)

A carotid dissection seems more likely than an aortic one, but a dissection would be near instant death in most cases and a pulse wouldn't have come back, not a strong pulse at least. Most likely is a direct blow to the chest causing a cardiac trauma then resulting in a respiratory arrest would be my best guess. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

If he's on EMCO, I suspect his football career is over. This sucks! It's a game, and this ***** is so real. I'm so shocked and just have no words. The look on the players faces were some looks I've never seen during a game before. 

I just found an article saying that incubation is standard practice for heart failure.   It could be over regardless.  

Just now, Crusader1969 said:

I just found an article saying that incubation is standard practice for heart failure.   It could be over regardless.  

Yes, typically I will intubate a patient that had a cardiac arrest, unless they ROSC (return of heartbeat) and then are awake and talking. It's very protective of the heart and to prevent any anoxia (lack of 02)for the brain. Also hypothermia protocol may be used to cool the body to protect heart tissue. 

Jesus, just talking about this gives me chills and I deal with this every day 😭😭😭

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Zac Taylor going over to McDermott and agreeing with him to pull the teams off was pure class from both. 

Agreed, and Burrow with Josh showing a true embrace, not staged crap. There's a real fear in this situation and you saw both teams shared in it. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Yes, typically I will intubate a patient that had a cardiac arrest, unless they ROSC (return of heartbeat) and then are awake and talking. It's very protective of the heart and to prevent any anoxia (lack of 02)for the brain. Also hypothermia protocol may be used to cool the body to protect heart tissue. 

Jesus, just talking about this gives me chills and I deal with this every day 😭😭😭

Agreed, and Burrow with Josh showing a true embrace, not staged crap. There's a real fear in this situation and you saw both teams shared in it. 

Thanks for your perspective!  

Just now, PASabreFan said:

I don't think this criticism of the NFL is fair. It's called the fog of war for a reason.

I won't criticize the NFL yet. We don't know the details of the 5 minutes to get back to play call. It felt like the NFL was waiting to get an update on Hamlin before making a decision

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I don't think this criticism of the NFL is fair. It's called the fog of war for a reason.

This isn’t war though. I understand where you are coming from but it’s a game. Not continuing to play does not hurt anything or anyone. The league knew he needed CPR and AED. To call for play to resume in five minutes shows how either stupid or heartless they are. 

Not trying to come at you wrong, Goodell and league executives are garbage.

Edited by SABRES 0311
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Was at the Everett game and the Zednik game.  Both were shocking, the Zednik moreso because the true immediacy of how closely he came to dying was obvious.  It wasn't as clear from the cheap seats just how horrific Everett's injury was.

But to have the player need an AED on the field was at least as scary as Zednik's situation.

Prayers to him to both survive and have a speedy & complete recovery.

Very glad they could let his mother accompany him on the trip to the hospital.  Dear God, please let her get good news quickly.

Just now, SABRES 0311 said:

This isn’t war though. I understand where you are coming from but it’s a game. Not continuing to play does not hurt anything or anyone. The league knew he needed CPR and AED. To call for play to resume in five minutes shows how either stupid or heartless they are. 

You missed the point. I can't explain myself at the moment but in no way was I saying that the game should have gone on.

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

Perhaps Woody can comment on the meaning of critical condition.

There's stable, fair, serious and then critical. It's not a good condition. There is a high likelihood of death and imminent death without major interventions (intubated, CPR, etc) 

Even if he lives through this, whatever the cause was, he will most likely never play again and may have some deficiencies in cardiac output and brain function. 

I hope I'm wrong, but critical condition is never a phrase I like to hear or tell any patient family members. 

• Thanks (+1) 3

Just now, PASabreFan said:

You missed the point. I can't explain myself at the moment but in no way was I saying that the game should have gone on.

I know you didn’t. I’m saying the league deserves criticism. The leaders on the field knew what the right thing to do was. Commentators knew what was right. People at home knew what was right. But somehow it took an hour for the league to figure it out.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.