Buffalo Bills: Damar Hamlin collapsed and taken to hospital

LGR4GM

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

Among other matters, Hamlin's gonna have ~$7M+ in donations to manage for charities of his choosing.

I kinda wonder about that. I hope they bring in someone with experience managing that kind of money. A few kilodollars like before, and you can have an amateur just give out some money to local causes. This kind of money can do some really good things or be squandered easily.

4 minutes ago, MattPie said:

I kinda wonder about that. I hope they bring in someone with experience managing that kind of money. A few kilodollars like before, and you can have an amateur just give out some money to local causes. This kind of money can do some really good things or be squandered easily.

The Bills have access to lots of smart people that assist players in financial and personal matters.  That is a lot to manage, he can get good help if he wants it.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The Bills have access to lots of smart people that assist players in financial and personal matters.  That is a lot to manage, he can get good help if he wants it.  

I agree. I just hope it doesn't turn into a "well, my cousin is good with money" situation that you see with people/orgs that come into a bunch of money. The NFL Player Handbook does have chapters on money stuff and they do training classes for the rookies and whatnot, so hopefully everyone is thinking wisely. 🙂

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

We don't need to know any more about our coach.  His record speaks for itself, this is the reason that players play for him.   ^

What's amazing about the whole thing is this isn't some early season or meaningless game and everyone still seems to be thinking about the right things. These are two of the three best teams in the AFC head to head at the end of the season. I'm too cynical to have predicted everyone involved would just toss out the football game for the mental health of the players.

19 minutes ago, MattPie said:

He'll need help. I trust he'll get it.

When you're talking multiple mills given for a charitable purpose, you're apt to have the charities bureau of a State Attorney General watching as well.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, MattPie said:

The current trend seems to be $1/year of age, maybe Joey is 5.

There's also a trend that when the kid gets around their teens, you give them a fairly significant monthly stipend. But, outside of food at home, shelter, etc. they pay for everything themselves. Let them see what's it's like to run out of money halfway through the month if they don't budget.

Our daughters earn money by doing various household chores, which they negotiated prices with myself and my wife...wife tried to lowball them on some things and they agrees(kids don't always know how much things are worth), so I told them to never accept the first offer and that they needed to negotiate a better deal for themselves.  We haggled for a bit and came up with a price chart for things.  There are chores available for them to do on a daily, semi-weekly and weekly basis and it's up to them to choose what they want to do, but they only earn money for the work they put in. Oldest usually earns about $30-35 a week and the youngest $15-20.

Edited by matter2003

35 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Among other matters, Hamlin's gonna have ~$7M+ in donations to manage for charities of his choosing.

Considering what the fund was started for, it seems like establishing a trust for scholarships for students from his hometown would be a logical step.  (Provided he doesn't require long term care himself.)

16 minutes ago, MattPie said:

What's amazing about the whole thing is this isn't some early season or meaningless game and everyone still seems to be thinking about the right things. These are two of the three best teams in the AFC head to head at the end of the season. I'm too cynical to have predicted everyone involved would just toss out the football game for the mental health of the players.

I saw a tweet suggesting that the game not be played at all and that the AFC championship be at a neutral site.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

He'll need help. I trust he'll get it.

When you're talking multiple mills given for a charitable purpose, you're apt to have the charities bureau of a State Attorney General watching as well.

It seems the charity, while primarily set up for toy drives in his hometown, also supports education & summer camps & the like.  There's a lot of good things that can be done under those categories.  

Expecting the league & the Bills will help him find someone reputable to run the charity.  Run it well & this nearly horrifically tragic event could become a Godsend.  Run it poorly & it will truly become a disaster.  Expecting it'll be the Godsend.

And am so happy he's doing well.  The next milestone would seem to be taking him off the critical list.  For those that pray, keep him in your prayers still.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

He never left since the team arrived on Sunday 

It is amazing how lucky we got when the Pegulas lucked into McDermott and Beane.  They are true leaders.

So great that these guys treat everyone involved as if they were family.  Hamlin is lucky too to have these guys on his side.

(Adams & Granato are like that too.)

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

He never left since the team arrived on Sunday 

These things say so much about the culture of this team and what they are built upon. I'd like to think any team would operate in this matter should something like this happen but it's awesome to know 100% that the Buffalo Bills operate that way.  There are already so many players speaking out about how Damar was treated as a human and not an asset. Those comments are a demonstration of what Buffalo is about, both the team and the community they represent.

It's a truly horrible situation but when Damar becomes aware of this during his recovery I have to think it will be a huge benefit for his mental well being in processing all that has happened to him.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.