Buffalo Bills: Damar Hamlin collapsed and taken to hospital

LGR4GM

Just incredible. Incredible!! 

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

And that prayer is more for the person praying, which is of course perfectly fine.

I'll hop in to agree with this entirely. I'm an observantly faithful person (Catholic). I pray a fair amount. I actually meditate more, which, the more I do it, feels a lot like prayer. 

The idea that prayer is meant to be, or that it can be, a literal intercession - a literal request for an omniscient force to intervene in our temporal affairs - is deeply problematic to me. Because, if we can do that and God will (may?) thusly respond, then what the funk can be made of the awfulness and suffering that does occur in our world? Aw, hell naw, I say. Prayer can be good for a lot of things, but the idea that prayer can persuade God (or a god(s)) to do something that you desperately want to happen is grade-school-spirituality, imo. Again, because otherwise, were that so, that same God (or god(s)) would be the cruelest mufugger(s) imaginable, given all the awful things that happen (are "allowed" to happen) on this big blue ball.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Just incredible. Incredible!! 

I'll hop in to agree with this entirely. I'm an observantly faithful person (Catholic). I pray a fair amount. I actually meditate more, which, the more I do it, feels a lot like prayer. 

The idea that prayer is meant to be, or that it can be, a literal intercession - a literal request for an omniscient force to intervene in our temporal affairs - is deeply problematic to me. Because, if we can do that and God will (may?) thusly respond, then what the funk can be made of the awfulness and suffering that does occur in our world? Aw, hell naw, I say. Prayer can be good for a lot of things, but the idea that prayer can persuade God (or a god(s)) to do something that you desperately want to happen is grade-school-spirituality, imo. Again, because otherwise, were that so, that same God (or god(s)) would be the cruelest mufugger(s) imaginable, given all the awful things that happen (are "allowed" to happen) on this big blue ball.

I would say that this answer approaches Catholic theology very accurately.  When we pray for divine intercession for a sick loved one, for example, what we really are *doing* is asking for a happy end to our own pain.  And there's nothing wrong with that--it's human nature.  It's not selfish to a level that should concern anyone regarding their own scrupulosity.

I could go on a little more but I don't have the M.Div. yet.

Anyway, I'm very happy that the news on Hamlin has turned out to be so good so far.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.