Which goalies do you keep up?

LGR4GM

Goalies To Keep, UPL  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which option below do you think helps the Sabres the most? This is once Comrie is healthy.

• Send UPL back to Rochester
    • Waive Anderson, telling him he won't need to report to Rochester anyways
    • Waive Comrie, he probably gets claimed
    • Keep all 3 (Comrie, Anderson, UPL) and make roster space by ditching a forward

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/27/2022 at 04:59 PM

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

My only point is he seems to playing differently technically... yes he has had some recent success but last time we saw him he could stop the first shot but his rebound control was horrendous... and again when he did the splits he leaned forward and shooters went high on him... Now much better rebound control... still needs to improve but he wasnt giving up the top part of the net after losing a rebound... also his side to side was much more in control... night a day difference from previous stints. 

You make an astute observation about UPL being vulnerable to the top part of the net. Marty Biron has often talked about that same vulnerability when discussing UPL's prospects as a NHL goalie. It bothered Marty a lot.  

• Like (+1) 2

Haven't read the thread, but as said on a different thread about the possibility of bringing in another goalie from outside, keep Comrie & other goalie (in this case UPL) as a tandem & have 41 year old Anderson get a mysterious non-specific ache in practice that moves him to IR.  If 1 of the other 2 break w/in the 1st week, call somebody else up until Anderson is available.

After 1 week, if he's needed, bring him off IR.

Lather, rinse, repeat as necessary.

No cap ramifications, so no circumvention.  And no way to prove the oldest player in the league DOESN'T have a non-specific injury.

And if UPL turns back into UPL, back to Ra-cha-cha he goes.

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You make an astute observation about UPL being vulnerable to the top part of the net. Marty Biron has often talked about that same vulnerability when discussing UPL's prospects as a NHL goalie. It bothered Marty a lot.  

Big goalies have that problem sometimes. They've learned to rely on their size too much and they are often worried too much about leaving holes down low. It'll come in time. He just needs to keep working on it. He needs lots of goalie coach time, wherever that can be done best 1 on 1. 

9 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Big goalies have that problem sometimes. They've learned to rely on their size too much and they are often worried too much about leaving holes down low. It'll come in time. He just needs to keep working on it. He needs lots of goalie coach time, wherever that can be done best 1 on 1. 

Goalies are an odd lot. Even when they are so-called developed, they can thrive and then fall off a cliff. A change of scenery (teams) will sometimes get them to return to the higher form, only to go through that downward cycle again. There are a few elite netminders such as Vasilevski, Lundquist and Shesterkin who consistently play at a high level. They are more of the exception than the rule. 

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Goalies are an odd lot. Even when they are so-called developed, they can thrive and then fall off a cliff. A change of scenery (teams) will sometimes get them to return to the higher form, only to go through that downward cycle again. There are a few elite netminders such as Vasilevski, Lundquist and Shesterkin who consistently play at a high level. They are more of the exception than the rule. 

This is where the goaltending coach comes in. I think you really need a good one. We have one, but I'm not sure he's a great one. I know in Boston a lot of people are crediting Bob Essensa with getting Ullmark's game to a higher level. Hopefully one day we hear that sort of talk here too as UPL or Levi or ? excels. 

So many have been trashing Luukko for some time. And he has struggled. But plenty of goalies take time to develop. He’s only 23. Plenty of goalies have taken longer to come into their own. I disagree with the harping on needing a goalie in a trade. And with sending UPL down. We have a couple of young ones with potential coming up (Levi, etc) and Luukko has begin to show potential. Keep him up  

The real problem with team is the team defense. They’ve given up 40+ shots 3 out of the last 4 games. Part of that is injuries. Part youth. But if all the defensemen are healthy, we have only five starting caliber imo (Dahlin; Samuelsson; Power; Joki; Lyub). I’d say the last two are 3rd line defenders. Power has to get stronger but potential for greatness is there. We need a good young defender. (Or two, eventually). Joki has potential to work alongside Power. And another good two-way center/forward. 

We have plenty of cap space. I’m not Uber thrilled with the defenders out there. Maybe there is one to bridge to a younger player. I’d look to D in the draft. But would love to go in on a top two way C / PF. We have to sign our own but that can still be done as well as land one. 

9 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I guess I need help understanding why he is better in Buffalo than in Rochester. 

Is it in his head, is it the coaching, or something else?  

Logic would say send UPL back down and let him play more but his performance in Rochester has been mediocre. 

Perhaps staying up and being with Anderson and the Sabres coaching staff is better for his development?  

Better coaching and team around him? Maybe just natural progression in playing with top level players. He's forced to get better quickly and maybe that's happening.

Comrie is magically not healthy until someone slows down in goal. Even then seems to me like he will need a conditioning stint in Rochester for at least 2 weeks after that.

Short story is you stall for as long as possible.  If UPL stays hot there is no way on Earth you send him down. How do you do that and keep credibility with the team?  Now, if he regresses back to his mean then sure, back to Rochester he goes, but if he's killing it? No way.

If Anderson is the one that slows down and Comrie is ready who is going to argue with a team who puts a 40+ goaltender on the injury list?

Send UPL to Rochester. He’s an NHL level goalie and I’m sure knows he’s in the long term plan for now. As a “development” year his time on the Sabres is just that.

I think a potentially more interesting situation will be what happens if/when Levi makes the jump. I assume that will be when we still have the UPL/Comrie tandem.

The business side of hockey aside, Andersen has been a positive part of this team and is closer to retirement. Sending him out the door wouldn’t be right. I won’t be surprised if this is his last year with a nice send off from the organization. 

6 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Send UPL to Rochester. He’s an NHL level goalie and I’m sure knows he’s in the long term plan for now. As a “development” year his time on the Sabres is just that.

I think a potentially more interesting situation will be what happens if/when Levi makes the jump. I assume that will be when we still have the UPL/Comrie tandem.

The business side of hockey aside, Andersen has been a positive part of this team and is closer to retirement. Sending him out the door wouldn’t be right. I won’t be surprised if this is his last year with a nice send off from the organization. 

Oh Im hoping they make him a coach... start him out as an assistant goalie coach... he seems to get that side of the business

• Like (+1) 1

Let's be a little more creative.  You send Comrie to Rochester for conditioning, meanwhile see if UPL can sustain this recent level of play.  When Comrie is ready, he comes back up.  If UPL still playing well, Anderson is mysteriously injured and goes on IR for 2-3 weeks of FL vacation with his family while UPL and Comrie battle it out.  If Comrie wins. UPL goes back to Rochester.  If UPL wins, you trade Comrie to playoff team.  Anderson comes back rested and stays because he deserves it and the team loves him.

Edited by LPJets16

9 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

For whatever reason UPL's game suffers in Rochester but flourishes in Buffalo.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just an idea, maybe a bad one.

Home stints send UPL to Rochester with a quick ability to recall him for rotation into home games. 

Away trips pick a goalie to stay behind as a scratch depending on who you are playing. If it’s UPL send him to Rochester to get more playing time while the team is away.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2022 at 2:17 PM, Hank said:

6K absolutely stole two points last night. 

6K was phenomenal in his last two games. 

6K has won four of his last five starts. 

6K should play regularly until his play dictates he be sent down, roll with three goalies until that happens. 

I'll say it again

6K should play regularly until his play dictates he be sent down, roll with three goalies until that happens. 

DG has to ride UPL while he is hot. He is a huge part of this winning streak.

I would keep Comrie in the AHL as long as possible (5 games?).

Anderson gets a game tomorrow in Ottawa, a great showing by him will make things interesting. If he struggles then some maintenance days may be required. In that case, Comrie comes up right away.

KA will have to get creative to carry 3 goalies.

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

DG has to ride UPL while he is hot. He is a huge part of this winning streak.

I would keep Comrie in the AHL as long as possible (5 games?).

Anderson gets a game tomorrow in Ottawa, a great showing by him will make things interesting. If he struggles then some maintenance days may be required. In that case, Comrie comes up right away.

KA will have to get creative to carry 3 goalies.

As well as UPL has played there are still glaring weaknesses in his game.   

Ride him while he's hot, but send him down when Comrie is ready.