Which goalies do you keep up?

LGR4GM

Goalies To Keep, UPL  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which option below do you think helps the Sabres the most? This is once Comrie is healthy.

• Send UPL back to Rochester
    • Waive Anderson, telling him he won't need to report to Rochester anyways
    • Waive Comrie, he probably gets claimed
    • Keep all 3 (Comrie, Anderson, UPL) and make roster space by ditching a forward

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/27/2022 at 04:59 PM

I like how many experts we have here who like to speculate and at the same time absolutely not look at the numbers.

The UPL has only 22 games in the NHL and has never played with a good defense except for maybe a couple of his last games. Comrie at his age had a 86,36 % record in Detroit.

For a goalkeeper to play well, he needs experience and he needs to get used to the team. Thompson has also not scored in every game before, but coaching staff believe in him and by working on himself he achieves success. So I believe in the UPL and his success in the NHL.

And who will play will be decided by the coaching staff.

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

He is playing bigger not leaning forward when he does the splits keeping upright and not losing the top of the net... some of these big goalies have a bad habit of diminishing their size when they spread out UPL included... last night he kept more upright while still taking away the lower part of the net... made it really tough on Vegas.

One thing I noticed on several shots is that when he was down in the butterfly he was shifting his shoulders upward toward high shots (and made a few saves doing so).  I don't remember him doing that previously.  It's like Tage in a way.... finally figuring out how to use the height advantage.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

UPL has played well, but his rebound control is a major concern of mine.   Leads to second chances and the offense continuing possession.

Last night and the game before he has been so much better... hopefully that continues... 

• Like (+1) 1

Put Comrie on a conditioning assignment (can you do that with GT?) to Rochester when he's ready to buy more time. If UPL is still playing well at the end of all that, you still send him down and let Comrie prove himself as was the original plan. Despite the good play, the Sabres still have a long way to go to honestly be in a playoff spot after losing a bunch of games; making decisions based on the playoffs this season is premature.

13 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Put Comrie on a conditioning assignment (can you do that with GT?) to Rochester when he's ready to buy more time. If UPL is still playing well at the end of all that, you still send him down and let Comrie prove himself as was the original plan. Despite the good play, the Sabres still have a long way to go to honestly be in a playoff spot after losing a bunch of games; making decisions based on the playoffs this season is premature.

What if they're in playoff position at the end of Comrie's conditioning stint?  Can you sit UPL if he's the hot hand?

Edited by Doohickie

2 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Call me skeptical... goalies are so weird... light switch all the sudden goes on... not sure if it is coaching, Anderson's influence but he looks better moving laterally... not over adjusting, better rebound control... but appears something changed in his game..

It’s not just a light switch. All goalies get hot and you have to know how to ride the hot hand and when to rest your guys. 

We saw Marty get hot and play lights out a ton. 

4 hours ago, LTS said:

UPL goes back down and if he can't understand the business aspects of the game then it's on him. He's played well, he can go to Rochester and continue to play well and wait for the inevitable return to the Sabres.  With Comrie and Anderson healthy he won't play games and that's what they want to see out of him. UPL has had injuries.. I think the Sabres want to see him take on a heavy workload and he'd only do that in Rochester.

If that bothers him, then he should have made sure the Sabres didn't need Comrie in the first place.

I don’t know where the UPL has an attitude gist is coming from 

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I guess I need help understanding why he is better in Buffalo than in Rochester. 

Is it in his head, is it the coaching, or something else?  

Logic would say send UPL back down and let him play more but his performance in Rochester has been mediocre. 

Perhaps staying up and being with Anderson and the Sabres coaching staff is better for his development?  

There is simply more structure in play both offensively and defensively in the NHL. In the AHL it is more helter-skelter and free-wheeling. Some players thrive when there is a lot of free-lancing, while others don't. Qualitatively, it is a much different game between the two leagues. The one advantage that UPL had in the lower league is that he could get more playing time. For a relatively inexperienced player that should help in his development.   

This is a tough one. I'd hate to send UPL down when he's playing so well. But we only just signed Comrie. Have to give him a chance to play.  Anderson could retire early but he's a locker room leader and still plays well.  I'd say keep three for now and see if anyone offers Adams something in trade for either Comrie or Anderson.

6 hours ago, Mr. Allen said:

Unfortunately send UPL back down. Stick with the plan for this year.  Hopefully Comrie plays better with the defense playing better in front of him. 

Agree.  Its not NHL level competiton, but as young as he is the best thing for him is to play a lot of games at either level.  If Comrie or Anderson gets hurt, he'll be back up again.  Plus if some think he is good enough to keep here now, that just means you are in better shape for next year when Anderson is likely to retire for good.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

There is simply more structure in play both offensively and defensively in the NHL. In the AHL it is more helter-skelter and free-wheeling. Some players thrive when there is a lot of free-lancing, while others don't. Qualitatively, it is a much different game between the two leagues. The one advantage that UPL had in the lower league is that he could get more playing time. For a relatively inexperienced player that should help in his development.   

Not buying that and I understand that in Rochester UPL is the #1 and he will play a lot.   

Every goalie this club ever developed did better in the AHL when they started their careers.    His numbers are nothing special in a lower league.  There is no comparison in the game speed and in the quality of the shooters between the two leagues.  I am thinking he might respond to the coaching better?  Or maybe with Anderson there to help him?  Andy is known to be one of the leaders on the bench.  

It is just odd.  Since he is only 23 and has only 22 NHL starts it is not worth pondering too much.  He is still developing, and it looks like he is getting better, even if his AHL play does not necessarily reflect it.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

Not buying that and I understand that in Rochester UPL is the #1 and he will play a lot.   

Every goalie this club ever developed did better in the AHL when they started their careers.    His numbers are nothing special in a lower league.  There is no comparison in the game speed and in the quality of the shooters between the two leagues.  I am thinking he might respond to the coaching better?  Or maybe with Anderson there to help him?  Andy is known to be one of the leaders on the bench.  

It is just odd.  Since he is only 23 and has only 22 NHL starts it is not worth pondering too much.  He is still developing, and it looks like he is getting better, even if his AHL play does not necessarily reflect it.  

Please yell that so everyone can hear it!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Without question he is getting better coaching in the NHL. And as you noted Anderson certainly is a good mentor and example to follow. But there is a lot more discipled and structured play in the big league than there is in the lower league. Players respond differently while they are developing. He may be the aberrant prospect who plays up to the talent that he is facing. 

I'm not getting carried away in making declarations about him as a player. He has played well in the last three games while he has struggled or been inconsistent in his prior games. What is evident is that he has played better over the last few games in the NHL than he has in the AHL.

• Thanks (+1) 1

6K absolutely stole two points last night. 

6K was phenomenal in his last two games. 

6K has won four of his last five starts. 

6K should play regularly until his play dictates he be sent down, roll with three goalies until that happens. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Hank said:

6K absolutely stole two points last night. 

6K was phenomenal in his last two games. 

6K has won four of his last five starts. 

6K should play regularly until his play dictates he be sent down, roll with three goalies until that happens. 

So you like the 6K thing uh? 

43 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Without question he is getting better coaching in the NHL. And as you noted Anderson certainly is a good mentor and example to follow. But there is a lot more discipled and structured play in the big league than there is in the lower league. Players respond differently while they are developing. He may be the aberrant prospect who plays up to the talent that he is facing. 

I'm not getting carried away in making declarations about him as a player. He has played well in the last three games while he has struggled or been inconsistent in his prior games. What is evident is that he has played better over the last few games in the NHL than he has in the AHL.

My only point is he seems to playing differently technically... yes he has had some recent success but last time we saw him he could stop the first shot but his rebound control was horrendous... and again when he did the splits he leaned forward and shooters went high on him... Now much better rebound control... still needs to improve but he wasnt giving up the top part of the net after losing a rebound... also his side to side was much more in control... night a day difference from previous stints. 

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

UPL has had 2 good games and they talked on WGR (IK!) about how do you send him down when Comrie is ready with how well he has done. 

That brings me to the question at hand... when Comrie is healthy what would be your goalie plan? Do you send UPL down? Waive Anderson? Waive Comrie? Carry 3 goalies and make room by cutting an extra forward?

Personally I think I would send UPL back to Rochester. Comrie only got 11 games and for about half of them the defense a dumpster. Anderson can get his 1 game a week or "get injured" and allow UPL to be a quick callup. Either way I think for now the best course of action is that so we can not overthink UPL having 2 good games and also see what we have in Comrie. 

That’s one helluva good question. Anderson is our number two, regardless, so he stays. Oopie needs to play, whether here or in the A and we need a definitive answer on Comrie. It’s a dilemma to be sure, but I gotta lean towards your take and send Oopie back to the A and keep playing regularly, perhaps even experiencing putting a team on his back to the playoffs and beyond. 

I think it depends a lot still. If Comrie is back today, you send UPL down. If UPL has 2 more good games or so before Comrie is back, send Comrie on a conditioning stint, and see if UPL can keep it up. If UPL keeps up the play then we could try to slip Comrie through waivers or roster 3 goalies (only if we’re healthy on defense).

Lots of "what if" variants to this question. Too many to even rationally consider at this point and provide an answer for the poll. Many here have made good arguments both for and against UPL staying up with the Sabres. Let's wait until Comrie is ready for a rehab assignment and by then some of the other questions may have been answered. Until then, I just don't know.