Trade Sabres Acquire Defenseman Joseph Cecconi for Oskari Laaksonen

Brawndo

• Brawndo changed the title to Trade Sabres Acquire Defenseman Joseph Cecconi for Oskari Laaksonen

Seems like an odd trade to me.  Laaksonen is younger and was at one time thought to be a solid D prospect.  Cecconi is 25 and has not made it out of the AHL.  To me, that means he has less upside.  I suppose the logic is that the Sabres no longer see Laaksonen as a future NHL player and that Cecconi can add more to Rochester than Laaksonen does.  The one thing I like about Cecconi is that he's a Michigan Wolverine.  Maybe having more Wolverines in the system (to go along with Owen Power) will influence Portillo to sign with the Sabres.  (I say that in jest - Cecconi left Michigan before Portillo arrived, so there is likely very little connection.)

Upon further review, I also see that he's a local kid from Youngstown,NY and he played with the Jr. Sabres, so further plusses for the kid.  Upon my first read, I thought he was from Youngstown, OH.  Either way, it looks like the Sabres have given up on Laaksonen.

Edited by msw2112
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

Seems like an odd trade to me.  Laaksonen is younger and was at one time thought to be a solid D prospect.  Cecconi is 25 and has not made it out of the AHL.  To me, that means he has less upside.  I suppose the logic is that the Sabres no longer see Laaksonen as a future NHL player and that Cecconi can add more to Rochester than Laaksonen does.  The one thing I like about Cecconi is that he's a Michigan Wolverine.  Maybe having more Wolverines in the system (to go along with Owen Power) will influence Portillo to sign with the Sabres.  (I say that in jest - Cecconi left Michigan before Portillo arrived, so there is likely very little connection.)

Upon further review, I also see that he's a local kid from Youngstown,NY and he played with the Jr. Sabres, so further plusses for the kid.  Upon my first read, I thought he was from Youngstown, OH.  Either way, it looks like the Sabres have given up on Laaksonen.

Laaksonen was getting healthy scratched in Rochester.  I think that’s all that needs to be said.  A team with no defensive prospects on the Amerks. He lost a competition where he was the only competitor.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

They're a  little late to the party, but better late than never.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.