Tage Thompson is a super star

Buffalonill

45 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I have never cared much for Marek as his habit of bringing up obscure hockey references of the past comes across as, “look at how smart I am”.   That being said, I agree 100% on this. This was probably a once in a career chance for Tage to score 6 or 7 goals, and F Columbus if they didn’t like it(I am speculating that this was DG’s reasoning).   Tough…if they don’t like it, STOP HIM. 

I never thought of it while the game was on but I do agree with Marek to a point.   however, I can imagine the blowback on DG if Tage got hurt in the 3rd   So I see both sides 

Elliotte Friedman brought a good point that the Sabres didn’t have a PP after the 1st  So it’s not like they sat Thompson in that situation 

13 minutes ago, K-9 said:

When he was “pacing” for 104 points earlier in the season you cautioned me against doing that because it seldom ends up that way, etc. Now he’s pacing at 126, but you don’t buy that, either, which is cool and I understand. But am I ok to keep predicting that 104 point pace? 

You’ll have to forgive any inadvertent conflation because I didn’t get the hyperbole of the Art Ross comment. 

I don’t really care what you do tbh re: is it ok

I point out “be careful with the pace game” simply because it’s true - not to win an argument 

- - -

If tage breaks Wayne’s 215 mark while pacing for 190 I’ll still say the pace game is dangerous - the fact of the matter is that generally an exorbitantly high relative pace slows down over the 82 game grind ie we see statistical regression - of course there are frequent exceptions: it’s a macro statistical concept 

it’s simply harder to maintain outlier paces (on either end) the greater the sample size 

Edited by Thorny

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I point out “be careful with the pace game” because it’s true - not to win an argument 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

If tage breaks Wayne’s 215 mark while pacing for 190 I’ll still say the pace game is dangerous - the fact of the matter is that generally a pace slows down over the 82 game grind ie we see statistical regression for exorbitantly unusual paces - of course there are frequent exceptions: it’s a macro statistical concept 

Not for nothing Thorny, while you are one of my favorite contributors to this forum, you have gotta be one it’s most defensive as well.

Let’s hope Tage stays healthy and keeps playing well. Enjoy the rest of the season. 

7 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Screenshot_20221208-072416_Instagram.jpg

Pet peeve of mine that ppl always seem to lump “passing ability” under IQ and vision. It’s deserving of its own niche it’s an incredibly important facet of the game 

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Not for nothing Thorny, while you are one of my favorite contributors to this forum, you have gotta be one it’s most defensive as well.

Let’s hope Tage stays healthy and keeps playing well. Enjoy the rest of the season. 

Confused emoji 

I’m not being defensive. I’m talking the time to explain my reasoning in detail because you seemed interested/were following up on something I said. I will always take the time to outline my thought process in effort to help people understand if they want to place stock in my view or throw it in the trash. 

What I won’t do is fail to take the time to have a good faith discussion with any member of the board who wants to take the time. If that ends up in me posting a lot, so be it - that much is obvious looking at my post count 

if anything I find too often the dismissals of view points come to quick 

Edited by Thorny
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Pet peeve of mine that ppl always seem to lump “passing ability” under IQ and vision. It’s deserving of its own niche it’s an incredibly important facet of the game 

I agree, but I found this to be rather amusing flicking through Instagram at lunch today so thought I would share 😀 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, steveoath said:

I agree, but I found this to be rather amusing flicking through Instagram at lunch today so thought I would share 😀 

I took the joke and laughed but sort of bypassed addressing that aspect, ya haha 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I point out “be careful with the pace game” simply because it’s true - not to win an argument 

- - -

If tage breaks Wayne’s 215 mark while pacing for 190 I’ll still say the pace game is dangerous - the fact of the matter is that generally an exorbitantly high relative pace slows down over the 82 game grind ie we see statistical regression - of course there are frequent exceptions: it’s a macro statistical concept 

it’s simply harder to maintain outlier paces (on either end) the greater the sample size 

What if this isn't an outlier pace for Thompson anymore?

11 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

What if this isn't an outlier pace for Thompson anymore?

I mean outlier relative to the league at large 

I think this is more less the “real” him but I’m still waiting to see how far he can push the boundaries of the mvp candidates of the league, if he can. 

His pace at 126 is pushing the boundaries of what *humans in the nhl* do\. 
It’s wonderful but he’s still riding a statistical mechanical bull. But the landing looks incredibly soft..and his hands look mighty strong 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

if anything I find too often the dismissals of view points come to quick 

Hate it when that happens. 

44 minutes ago, Thorny said:

His pace at 126 is pushing the boundaries of what *humans in the nhl* do\. 
It’s wonderful but he’s still riding a statistical mechanical bull. But the landing looks incredibly soft..and his hands look mighty strong 

I think him cracking 100 would be amazing. I agree maintaining this torrid pace is unlikely. 

• Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Absofreakinglutely. 

Not expecting this sort of found money with Tage is perfectly understandable. But failing to supplement him and Dahlin, now, this coming offseason, and letting this sort of production from Tage (25) especially slip by knowing full well this could be the best stretch of his career, and potentially the best we’ll see from a Sabres F in decades (just look at the last) and that it’s a player GOOD ENOUGH TO BE THE BEST ON A CUP TEAM, would be a cardinal sin. 

The time is now, now, and I think KA knows it. From what we are hearing. That we have cheap elc talent coming is exactly the point. This is when we can win big 

I didn’t expect Thompson, Cozens, Quinn, Peterka, Dahlin, and Power would all play so well.

It’s amazing and it basically requires that they be supplemented.  Adams has until the start of next season to supply better goaltending, a better 3rd line, and better defensive depth.

Doesn’t need to a home run in every area, but some work needs to be done.

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Oh, in the Red Wings game?  Mo Seider I think it was.

Maybe even Cozens.  A bit more of a long shot but he's playing very well.

Am really hoping he sneaks onto that roster.  Would really like to get an AS sweater for the Workhorse from WhitehorseTM.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Am really hoping he sneaks onto that roster.  Would really like to get an AS sweater for the Workhorse from WhitehorseTM.

Right now he's in Tage's shadow but I think the league will start noticing Cozens soon too.  It just blows my mind that the whole line is 20-21 years old and they click so well together.  Extend 'em all!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Doohickie said:

Right now he's in Tage's shadow but I think the league will start noticing Cozens soon too.  It just blows my mind that the whole line is 20-21 years old and they click so well together.  Extend 'em all!

He is.  But it seems he's one of the players that the league sees as a potential "face of the franchise."  (Just a hunch, can't point to anything definitive, maybe because of his play at the WJC it seems like he gets brought up very favorably on their national broadcasts.)  If that's not just a misread, if he & his linemates can keep this hot stretch running through Christmas maybe he's got a shot as the +1 guy or whatever they call that last player making each roster.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Taro T said:

He is.  But it seems he's one of the players that the league sees as a potential "face of the franchise."  (Just a hunch, can't point to anything definitive, maybe because of his play at the WJC it seems like he gets brought up very favorably on their national broadcasts.)  If that's not just a misread, if he & his linemates can keep this hot stretch running through Christmas maybe he's got a shot as the +1 guy or whatever they call that last player making each roster.

I can't see it. Tage and Dahlin still play for Buffalo so those are your likely picks. I don't see a 3rd Sabre going. 

On 12/8/2022 at 8:49 AM, LGR4GM said:

And the terrifying part is those shots are somewhat accurate. Idk how you stop a rising 100mph slapper that just nicks the inside of the post. 

This year Tage is 4th in points and 3rd in goals to this point of the season in the ENTIRE LEAGUE. You can't get much more superstar than that. 

I don't think I've heard talk of 100 mph slap shots since the days of Bobby Hull, Richard Martin, or Lanny McDonald. Maybe I need to get out more?

• Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, phil_soisson said:

I don't think I've heard talk of 100 mph slap shots since the days of Bobby Hull, Richard Martin, or Lanny McDonald. Maybe I need to get out more?

Apparently.

Al Iafrate, Ovie, Shea Weber, Chara, McInnis all did it multiple times in All Star games.

I haven't read through the entire thread so I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet but the ascension of Thompson into an elite player has made the loss of Eichel's production insignificant. My biggest concern with the trade was that, sure, we have a few more contributing pieces but they're not going to match his production. Wrong. Right now Thompson, Dahlin and Skinner all have more points than Eichel, Tuch has one fewer and cozens is two behind him.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's easy to lose a franchise player when you have 2/3 more step up in his place. 

Go Sabres.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

I haven't read through the entire thread so I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet but the ascension of Thompson into an elite player has made the loss of Eichel's production insignificant. My biggest concern with the trade was that, sure, we have a few more contributing pieces but they're not going to match his production. Wrong. Right now Thompson, Dahlin and Skinner all have more points than Eichel, Tuch has one fewer and cozens is two behind him.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's easy to lose a franchise player when you have 2/3 more step up in his place. 

Go Sabres.

Not only that.. but to me.. Thompson's goals are more exciting than Eichel's.  At least to me... and yea.. the combination.. fuhgedaboutit