Tage Thompson is a super star

Buffalonill

3 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Your memory serves you well. It was HCPH's last season... the team sat atop the NHL standings on 11/27/2018 after a 10-game winning streak...  and earned 16 more wins (edited) the rest of the season.

In early February 2019, it looks like Skinner was moved off the top line in an attempt to kickstart everyone again (it worked, they beat the Wild 5-4 in a shootout). Then it was back to business as usual. It appears (by my very incomplete records) that the true demotion of Skinner from the top line coincided with Eichel's 2-game suspension in March.

3/14/2019 vs. PIT - Sheary-Rodrigues-Reinhart / Skinner-Sobotka-Pominville    Now that's a top 6!

VO eventually was called up for a look-see and took over the top line LW spot to close out the season (and Thompson was sent to Rochester in a corresponding move). Skinner wrapped the season on line 2 with ERod and Okposo.

Not quite.  At the very end of the season w/ the writing on the wall for Housley he bumped Skinner back onto Eichel's line & he found the last goals to get to 40 and that outrageous contract.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Not quite.  At the very end of the season w/ the writing on the wall for Housley he bumped Skinner back onto Eichel's line & he found the last goals to get to 40 and that outrageous contract.

Perhaps in-game the lines were adjusted (and maybe the season-ending one vs. Detroit), but from my nightly lineups, he was on the ERod line for 3/31, 4/2, and 4/4. I did a little digging for the last 6 games: 4/6 v. DET 2 goals - unassisted, Dahlin; 4/4 v. OTT 0G, 0A; 4/2 v. NSH 1G (Montour, ERod); 3/31 v. CMB 0G,0A; 3/30 v. NYI 0G,0A; 3/28 v. DET 1A (on a Mitts goal; and then Eichel scored 41 seconds later from VO's 1st assist and Reino). I can't find the stats to show he got back on the top line.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

Perhaps in-game the lines were adjusted (and maybe the season-ending one vs. Detroit), but from my nightly lineups, he was on the ERod line for 3/31, 4/2, and 4/4. I did a little digging for the last 6 games: 4/6 v. DET 2 goals - unassisted, Dahlin; 4/4 v. OTT 0G, 0A; 4/2 v. NSH 1G (Montour, ERod); 3/31 v. CMB 0G,0A; 3/30 v. NYI 0G,0A; 3/28 v. DET 1A (on a Mitts goal; and then Eichel scored 41 seconds later from VO's 1st assist and Reino). I can't find the stats to show he got back on the top line.

Could've sworn he was on Eichel's line most of that final game.  Will try to find it.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Tage has a few patented moves already plus the 105mph (?) shot but I'd like to see him blast away more on faceoff one-timers (if we could develop a good faceoff guy) and use his reach for wraparounds, which I haven't seen yet. Wonder what Perreault thinks?

Edited by Quint
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Mario is/was the best player I ever saw play, and I was not a fan of his/Pittsburgh growing up as a kid.  I am not old enough to remember Orr, and I only saw Howe when he was a shadow of himself, but including Gretzky, Messier, Coffee, Ovi, Hull, Forsberg, Borque, Jagr, Crosby, McDavid.....NOBODY was as unstoppable as Lemieux was at his peak in my opinion, not even Gretzky.

Thompson goes pointless in a game about once every 3 games or so (he has done so 9 times this season, on pace for 20-25 pointless games for the season, which is still great).  but to be at Mario's level, he'd have to cut that down to about 15 pointless games TOTAL for the year at most.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

Mario is/was the best player I ever saw play, and I was not a fan of his/Pittsburgh growing up as a kid.  I am not old enough to remember Orr, and I only saw Howe when he was a shadown of himself, but including Gretzky, Messier, Coffee, Ovi, Hull, Forsberg, Borque, Jagr, Crosby, McDavid.....NOBODY was as unstoppable as Lemieux was at his peak in my opinion, not even Gretzky.

Thompson goes pointless in a game about once every 3 games or so (he has done so 9 times this season, on pace for 20-25 pointless games for the season, which is still great).  but to be at Mario's level, he'd have to cut that down to about 15 pointless games TOTAL for the year at most.

We lived in Pittsburgh during their first 2 cups.  Mario was at his peak in those years and was unstopable.  Those teams were stacked with talent up and down the lineup, but Mario was the guy.

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Mario is/was the best player I ever saw play, and I was not a fan of his/Pittsburgh growing up as a kid.  I am not old enough to remember Orr, and I only saw Howe when he was a shadow of himself, but including Gretzky, Messier, Coffee, Ovi, Hull, Forsberg, Borque, Jagr, Crosby, McDavid.....NOBODY was as unstoppable as Lemieux was at his peak in my opinion, not even Gretzky.

The old debate of Gretzky vs Lemieux will always be there. Gretzky had better health, thanks in part to the protection he was afforded by Semenko, McSorley and the league. This led to his longevity and the all time records.

Lemieux had better overall skill and size, the major health issues shut him down often. One on one I would take him vs anybody because you could not get the puck from him.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

The old debate of Gretzky vs Lemieux will always be there. Gretzky had better health, thanks in part to the protection he was afforded by Semenko, McSorley and the league. This led to his longevity and the all time records.

Lemieux had better overall skill and size, the major health issues shut him down often. One on one I would take him vs anybody because you could not get the puck from him.

Agree.  In my lifetime, take every player in the league at their absolute peak, and the only 2 players that were almost unstoppable, that could carry an entire team by themselves were Lemieux and Hasek.  I didn't like Lemiuex, but up to this point in life him and Hasek are hands down the best I have ever seen.

• Like (+1) 3

Okay here is the important line "HockeyViz’s model only gives the average shooter an expected goal total of 23 based on his shot quality." 

The key words there are "average shooter" so when you see an xGF number it's based on ever shot taken from there and the percentage that go on based on average shooting. The key to remember is Tage isn't an average shooter so he will exceed xgf.

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Okay here is the important line "HockeyViz’s model only gives the average shooter an expected goal total of 23 based on his shot quality." 

The key words there are "average shooter" so when you see an xGF number it's based on ever shot taken from there and the percentage that go on based on average shooting. The key to remember is Tage isn't an average shooter so he will exceed xgf.

Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha (+1) 3

• SDS locked this topic