Tage Thompson is a super star

Buffalonill

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

TNT was talking about who is better, Tage or Eichel.  Dumb conversation since Eichel leaving had nothing to do with Tage. 

Who do I pick to help me build a team, Eichel or Tage?   I pick Tage.  Even if Eichel is "better", which he isn't, they are close enough that I pick Tage.  

Tage is a man. He conducts himself like a professional at all times.  He cares about the team.  He is a quiet leader, but he will prove himself to be a leader.  

Eichel's career high in points is 82 in 77 games.  Tage is almost half way there at 40 in just 26 games.

I laughed at that comment on the broadcast. I'd take Tage every day of the week. We've seen what a Jack Eichel led team looks like, I don't ever want to see it again. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 5

I am super pumped about Tage’s development. Glad to see him doing so well!! It’s a shame when some fans are impatient or dismissive of a player when they are young and developing. But they don’t change that mindset and just target another young player every season. 

For me personally, I don’t believe he’ll hit 80 points let alone 100 points this season until he actually achieves it. “On pace” comments does absolutely nothing for me. It never has. 

Keep it up TNT!

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9525e15377a551a592bd7

Edited by Zamboni

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

We seem to have a few newer posters who are literally only here to be negative/troll

PA will always be the Anti-Pegula narrative guy while Nill is our resident pessimist. Perrault is our newer version of “I like the Sabres but other teams are more fun for me now” But typically, besides Nill who rarely finds a silver lining in a jewelry store, add something to the conversation. What we have on this thread is 3 guys, 2 with under 150 posts, derailing a discussion with nothingness composed of petty insults, worthless conjecture, and what appears to be a pseudo-conversation about a new user’s name.

I don’t want to gatekeep but this is a Sabres forum not a school playground. 

This guy is thinks he went to Harvard but flunked out of community College mad 

10 hours ago, Pimlach said:

TNT was talking about who is better, Tage or Eichel.  Dumb conversation since Eichel leaving had nothing to do with Tage. 

Who do I pick to help me build a team, Eichel or Tage?   I pick Tage.  Even if Eichel is "better", which he isn't, they are close enough that I pick Tage.  

Tage is a man. He conducts himself like a professional at all times.  He cares about the team.  He is a quiet leader, but he will prove himself to be a leader.  

Yea I heard that too and eye rolled hard. At this point, I want Tage Thompson over Jack Eichel... which is not the timeline I thought we lived in. 

9 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

I've seen superstars play for teams with losing records.

9 hours ago, HeftyLefty said:

we are using the term superstar too loosely then aren't we?

Connor McDavid played on Edmonton teams with losing records and MacKinnon played on bad Avalanche teams. 

8 hours ago, HeftyLefty said:

u ppl need to grow up

mad people GIF

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

And the terrifying part is those shots are somewhat accurate. Idk how you stop a rising 100mph slapper that just nicks the inside of the post. 

7 hours ago, matter2003 said:

He will have over 100 points this year. Likely significantly more. That's a superstar no matter how you want to measure it.

He is 8th in the NHL in goals since the start of last season...the 4 players behind him are Pastrnak, Connor, Tkachuk and Stamkos.

If we just look at the last 82 games, Thompson rises to 5th. Directly behind him are Draisaitl, Pastrnak, Stamkos and MacKinnon. He averages over 2 minutes less icetime than the 4 players ahead of him. In terms of goals/TOI, Thompson is 3rd behind Kaprizov and Robertson. 

This year Tage is 4th in points and 3rd in goals to this point of the season in the ENTIRE LEAGUE. You can't get much more superstar than that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

My son and I argued after the trade because he was adamant that it was a horrendous trade. I kept telling him just wait, we don’t know what this kid will do especially since he was rushed into the NHL too quickly and that stunted his development a bit. 

Edited by Sidc3000
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Zamboni said:

I am super pumped about Tage’s development. Glad to see him doing so well!! It’s a shame when some fans are impatient or dismissive of a player when they are young and developing. But they don’t change that mindset and just target another young player every season. 

For me personally, I don’t believe he’ll hit 80 points let alone 100 points this season until he actually achieves it. “On pace” comments does absolutely nothing for me. It never has. 

Keep it up TNT!

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9525e15377a551a592bd7

So let me get this straight...you think his current 1.53 point per game pace is going to drop to under half? To reach 80 points, he only needs to score at a .714 pace in the other 56 games.  The ONLY way that doesn't happen is he gets injured for a long stretch of time.

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

And the terrifying part is those shots are somewhat accurate. Idk how you stop a rising 100mph slapper that just nicks the inside of the post. 

This year Tage is 4th in points and 3rd in goals to this point of the season in the ENTIRE LEAGUE. You can't get much more superstar than that. 

Not only does he have a tremendously hard shot, but his release is lightning fast...sometimes in real-time it doesn't even look like he moved his stick to get the shot off when he rips those wristers while skating towards the net and using the Dman as a screen.

They said last night during the post game show that Tage has the hardest shot in the NHL.  What is more impressive has been his ability to use his wing span to maneuver the puck to deek   goalies and create space.  Focusing only on his hard shot also diminishes how good his wrist shot is and his ability to make plays in tight.  

Now if he could win a draw or two we’d really have something.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, Sidc3000 said:

My son and I argued after the trade because he was adamant that it was a horrendous trade. I kept telling him just wait, we don’t know what this kid will do especially since he was rushed into the NHL too quickly and that stunted his development a bit. 

Sage advice.

The old story that applies here is about the old bull and the young bull shaded up and out of the flies on a hill. A bunch of heifers graze into the meadow below and the young bull says “Let’s run down and F a couple of heifers.”  The old bull gets up, stretches and said “Let’s walk down and F them all.”

Patience and poise.

26 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Not only does he have a tremendously hard shot, but his release is lightning fast...sometimes in real-time it doesn't even look like he moved his stick to get the shot off when he rips those wristers while skating towards the net and using the Dman as a screen.

I think it was last night.  He had one where he fumbled the puck for a second and then all of a sudden it was on the net.  So in the time it would take most players just to recover control of the puck, he had already shot it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

He’s certainly the most unlikely of super stars. Overlooked. Came out of nowhere. Looked bad his first 3 years. Very quiet personality. Minds his own business and works. Seems very positive and selfless. 

Given his draft cache, that he was like StLs 4th best prospect, his early struggles, I can’t quite shake the “too good to be true” feeling.  It’s amazing what he is doing right now.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

25 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

He’s certainly the most unlikely of super stars. Overlooked. Came out of nowhere. Looked bad his first 3 years. Very quiet personality. Minds his own business and works. Seems very positive and selfless. 

Basically is the Sabres version of Josh Allen...obviously different personalities, but both sort of "came out of nowhere"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1