Tage Thompson is a super star

Buffalonill

23 hours ago, Weave said:

Given his draft cache, that he was like StLs 4th best prospect, his early struggles, I can’t quite shake the “too good to be true” feeling.  It’s amazing what he is doing right now.

Yes, he was rated by the Blues as the 3rd forward prospect after Thomas and Kyrou whom they just drafted.   I heard that Bots wanted Thomas and Armstrong refused to make that deal.  He took Tage, the picks, and the veteran garbage (with salaries) that Armstrong unloaded. 

Thomas is a very good player - in the playmaker mold, Thompson is proving to be a special player that can dominate when he is on the ice.   

19 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Eh.  Embrace Ignore.  Ignore is your friend.

I've ignored a lot of people on this forum.  Most of them I eventually take off Ignore but there are a few that are still there. 

Once I have someone on Ignore, I still might peek at their posts, but because they're on ignore I kind of prepare myself and I either go, "yep, still ignore" and move on, or I decide that even though the particular poster rubs me the wrong I way I still want to engage with them.  If I have the latter reaction (which happens with most posters eventually) I take them off ignore.

It's kind of like I quarantine them until I can build up an immunity to their unique PainInTheAssness.

what?  @Doohickie, are you there?  what did you say?  

23 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Eh.  Embrace Ignore.  Ignore is your friend.

I've ignored a lot of people on this forum.  Most of them I eventually take off Ignore but there are a few that are still there. 

Once I have someone on Ignore, I still might peek at their posts, but because they're on ignore I kind of prepare myself and I either go, "yep, still ignore" and move on, or I decide that even though the particular poster rubs me the wrong I way I still want to engage with them.  If I have the latter reaction (which happens with most posters eventually) I take them off ignore.

It's kind of like I quarantine them until I can build up an immunity to their unique PainInTheAssness.

tenor.gif

But we're good now 🙂

Edited by Buffalonill
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

I haven't read through the entire thread so I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet but the ascension of Thompson into an elite player has made the loss of Eichel's production insignificant. My biggest concern with the trade was that, sure, we have a few more contributing pieces but they're not going to match his production. Wrong. Right now Thompson, Dahlin and Skinner all have more points than Eichel, Tuch has one fewer and cozens is two behind him.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's easy to lose a franchise player when you have 2/3 more step up in his place. 

Go Sabres.

Dunno if I’d call it “insignificant”. Vegas still got the net talent increase in the trade - Eichel is in the running for MVP and Selke. No one we have quite matches his overall game, yet. The thought of an Eichel-Thompson 1/2 combo, in a world where we have a bought-in Eichel, is still salivating imo. (Not quite) Crosby / Malkin type stuff. I’d see long term contention in our future. Tuch is the only guy there we wouldn’t have, so, again, leaving aside chemistry concerns, the world in which things never got out of hand with Eichel ala Marvel’s “What if?” is still fun to think about. 

Theres lots of butterfly effect type stuff like “maybe Thompson doesn’t ascend if he’s playing behind Jack” (I don’t really buy into this personally, necessarily, as its on coaching to make sure there isn’t an environment for some reason where only one player can produce) but it’s certainly valid. Who knows how things go different with even one change. But in a vacuum, Thompson-Eichel-Cozens is an insane C core, flipping out Mittelstadt instead

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Thorny said:

The thought of an Eichel-Thompson 1/2 combo, in a world where we have a bought-in Eichel, is still salivating imo. (Not quite) Crosby / Malkin type stuff. I’d see long term contention in our future. Tuch is the only guy there we wouldn’t have, so, again, leaving aside chemistry concerns, the world in which things never got out of hand with Eichel ala Marvel’s “What if?” is still fun to think about. 

And, in that world, you can have the true analog of the Roy-Afinogenov-Vanek line in the form of the Cozterkinn line.  Eichel probably gets Skinner & Okposo for now and That 70's Line gets reprised.

Mittelstadt, Girgensons, & Hinostroza make up the misfits 4th line.

That would be a fun team.  (Assumes the Reinhart trade still happens too.)

7 hours ago, shrader said:

We do need to realize the difference between a shot in the skills competition and one during live action. 

I’ve never seen a harder ***** during live action than PK Subban’s one-timer

An absolute unit of a slapper 

No idea why that censored lol

Harder shot I think I typed? 

Edited by Thorny

6 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Yes, he was rated by the Blues as the 3rd forward prospect after Thomas and Kyrou whom they just drafted.   I heard that Bots wanted Thomas and Armstrong refused to make that deal.  He took Tage, the picks, and the veteran garbage (with salaries) that Armstrong unloaded. 

Thomas is a very good player - in the playmaker mold, Thompson is proving to be a special player that can dominate when he is on the ice.   

24 points 26 games. Looks like Botterill was targeting the right prospects at least 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Dunno if I’d call it “insignificant”. Vegas still got the net talent increase in the trade - Eichel is in the running for MVP and Selke. No one we have quite matches his overall game, yet. The thought of an Eichel-Thompson 1/2 combo, in a world where we have a bought-in Eichel, is still salivating imo. (Not quite) Crosby / Malkin type stuff. I’d see long term contention in our future. Tuch is the only guy there we wouldn’t have, so, again, leaving aside chemistry concerns, the world in which things never got out of hand with Eichel ala Marvel’s “What if?” is still fun to think about. 

Theres lots of butterfly effect type stuff like “maybe Thompson doesn’t ascend if he’s playing behind Jack” (I don’t really buy into this personally, necessarily, as its on coaching to make sure there isn’t an environment for some reason where only one player can produce) but it’s certainly valid. Who knows how things go different with even one change. But in a vacuum, Thompson-Eichel-Cozens is an insane C core, flipping out Mittelstadt instead

I know you like Eichel but MVP and Selke?   By currently in the running, do you mean he will get some votes?  

MVP - Eichel is 15th in the league in points with 27 and tied for 21st in goals with 13.  Very good but not top 5, or even top 10.  

Selke - Eichel does not strike me as a Selke type player.  I don't see a great two-way player, probably his analytics are much better in Vegas than in Buffalo, but so far, his numbers are hardly the stuff of an MVP.   I must admit that the Selke award is extremely objective, and voting has often looked like a popularity contest.  

I don't think an Eichel-Tage combo would not allow Tage to be as dominant as when his is playing center.  

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I know you like Eichel but MVP and Selke?   By currently in the running, do you mean he will get some votes?  

MVP - Eichel is 15th in the league in points with 27 and tied for 21st in goals with 13.  Very good but not top 5, or even top 10.  

Selke - Eichel does not strike me as a Selke type player.  I don't see a great two-way player, probably his analytics are much better in Vegas than in Buffalo, but so far, his numbers are hardly the stuff of an MVP.   I must admit that the Selke award is extremely objective, and voting has often looked like a popularity contest.  

I don't think an Eichel-Tage combo would not allow Tage to be as dominant as when his is playing center.  

Ya, like other posters when I bring up the early defensive metrics and selke talk around Jack, it just gets the “nah, no thanks, I don’t like that so no” response. I’m just relaying what the hockey world outside of sabrespace is saying. Go look at the numbers on that team: he’s their best player, both ways, a team near the top of the league. 

If you want to disregard it, be my guest. Frankly it has nothing to do with me “liking” Eichel as this isn’t even MY argument. If framing it as something I’m saying just because I’m biased makes it sit better, again, go ahead 

Im not going to flood threads with Jack’s numbers. The deeper dives are out there if anyone wants them. Not my fight.

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 2

https://theathletic.com/3986705/2022/12/09/tage-thompson-five-goal-game-sabres-dave-andreychuk/

Matt Fairburn’s excellent article talking with Andreychuk about Thompson.  He said loves Tage’s skill and still considers himself a Buffaloian. He mentioned that after watching his 5 goal night that he looked like he was in slow motion. The article also mentions that Bowman was also watching.  Andreychuk said Bowman sat him most of the 3rd like DG did to Thompson.

Article worth a read if you can.

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

I cant believe he turned his career around he was at 1% chance of just being a nhler 2 years ago .

Now  He might be one of the best players in the NHL .wtf 

@tom webster would say he finally matured into his body and finally was playing for a coach who gave him the right opportunity at the right time.

• Like (+1) 1