GDT: Sabres @ Oilers, 10/18/22, 9pm, tv and wgr

LGR4GM

Does that mean the Cozens line gets McDavid if Donnie can make it happen or will it be head-to-head with Tage?

Or does he basically roll ‘em? There’s at least one weak spot defensively on each line, but the bottom 3 are pretty balanced.

Hino in for Quinn shows that it’s not entirely about development over wins.

Will be looking to see how Power is adjusting. Thought he was steadier in game 2, but part of that may have been playing with Mule.

I imagine Mule and Ras will be getting a steady diet of McJesus all night. Great barometer.

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Does that mean the Cozens line gets McDavid if Donnie can make it happen or will it be head-to-head with Tage?

Or does he basically roll ‘em? There’s at least one weak spot defensively on each line, but the bottom 3 are pretty balanced.

Hino in for Quinn shows that it’s not entirely about development over wins.

Will be looking to see how Power is adjusting. Thought he was steadier in game 2, but part of that may have been playing with Mule.

I imagine Mule and Ras will be getting a steady diet of McJesus all night. Great barometer.

Yeah, it'll be really interesting to see if Granato makes the same D adjustment tonight if Power starts as he did the 1st 4-1/2 periods into the season.  Will also be interesting to see how long Power & Jokiharju stay together should either struggle.

22 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Well, had you done so, you've expected Krebs watching from above rather than Quinn.  😉

You also would've expected Girgensons to slide to C.

Nothing to see there. 😉

I don't want to 'bench' Krebs as a punishment this early, but to me he has had the worst opening 2 games of any forward.  Late backchecking, fumbling around some pucks in his feet, losing battles easily on the boards. Nothing 'intentional' on his part, but it just so happens the limitations of his game were very visible in the last 2 games.

• Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I don't want to 'bench' Krebs as a punishment this early, but to me he has had the worst opening 2 games of any forward.  Late backchecking, fumbling around some pucks in his feet, losing battles easily on the boards. Nothing 'intentional' on his part, but it just so happens the limitations of his game were very visible in the last 2 games.

I felt he was one of the strongest on Saturday. Constantly around the puck, hustling and battling.  Maybe he's the next Risto! Hehe.

14 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I don't agree at all.  I thought TT, Skinner, VO and Quinn were all worse than Krebs, and that Krebs was about as good as pretty much every other forward other than Cozens, JJP and maybe Asplund.

• Agree 2

34 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

So he's been bumped down to the 4th line as he should be. Quinn sits for Vinnie as I said he should. Granato's moves here are all very reasonable and totally based on the on ice performance we've seen. He's just coaching. That's his job. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

Krebs plays better at center. But the worst has been Mittlestadt who repeatedly turns over the puck and is weak on the boards. Put Krebs in his spot.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

I don't agree at all.  I thought TT, Skinner, VO and Quinn were all worse than Krebs, and that Krebs was about as good as pretty much every other forward other than Cozens, JJP and maybe Asplund.

Take a look at the replays of the Goals the Sabres allowed this year. The Collin White goal vs Florida was a direct result of Krebs not being able to handle a chip on the boards and the puck right away going to the front of the net where the goal was scored.  

The goal allowed vs Ottawa, Krebs was backchecking the eventual goal scorer but he simply could not catch up to him. One more step closer and he could have disrupted the goal but he was either out of gas, just too slow, or both. 

A bunch of other times when the puck was on the boards, it was pretty much a him on a one on one and very few of those times did the Sabres end up with the puck.  

He only got 9.5 minutes of even strength ice time in game 1, he was down to 8.5 in game 2, and now he looks to be on the 4th line.  I'm not saying he is a bad player, but he is causing this team to lose possession by not winning numerous battles along the boards, and played a major role in 2 of the 5 goals allowed so far this year. He's not bad, but in the back 2/3rds of the ice he had a bad game for sure the first 2 games.  I don't want him benched, but I agree with cutting his ice time unless/until he can 'figure out' that part of his game or until he can be slotted back in at Center.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Take a look at the replays of the Goals the Sabres allowed this year. The Collin White goal vs Florida was a direct result of Krebs not being able to handle a chip on the boards and the puck right away going to the front of the net where the goal was scored.  

The goal allowed vs Ottawa, Krebs was backchecking the eventual goal scorer but he simply could not catch up to him. One more step closer and he could have disrupted the goal but he was either out of gas, just too slow, or both. 

A bunch of other times when the puck was on the boards, it was pretty much a him on a one on one and very few of those times did the Sabres end up with the puck.  

He only got 9.5 minutes of even strength ice time in game 1, he was down to 8.5 in game 2, and now he looks to be on the 4th line.  I'm not saying he is a bad player, but he is causing this team to lose possession by not winning numerous battles along the boards, and played a major role in 2 of the 5 goals allowed so far this year. He's not bad, but in the back 2/3rds of the ice he had a bad game for sure the first 2 games.  I don't want him benched, but I agree with cutting his ice time unless/until he can 'figure out' that part of his game or until he can be slotted back in at Center.

Well, oddly enough, Granato found a C role for him.  (He also did so briefly in the Cats game the last shift of the 1st & a handful of shifts in the 2nd.)

Will be interesting to see how he does centering the Sabres "checking" line.  Personally believe he's better at C, due in large part to some of the issues you bring up that he's had on the wing.  Also, he does play a 200' game, so centering the checking line may not be as crazy as it seems initially.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Not feeling optimistic here …

Sabres … 2

Oilers … 5

Cozens, TNT or Power with a goal

I actually think the Sabres are capable of winning this game. Not saying they will, they could just as easily fall apart and get blown out of the building BUT if we get better goaltending than them (which is quite possible), Cozens frustrates McDavid a little, and the reunited top line gets it together in a wide open game we could surprise people. It's a style match up that we generally play better with. 

Draisaitl is the guy who might kill us.  Depends on the line match ups. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.