GDT Sabres Season Opener: Sens @ Sabres 10/13/2022, 7pm, MSG, ESPN+, RDS, WGR

PromoTheRobot

Just now, Thorny said:

Only by traditional designations. 

I’d say he’s the centre being counted on second-most among centres to provide offence, after Thompson. The lines are just being balanced fo the extend that there’s another line with a player, Tuch, which might get more offensive opportunities. Generally Cozens would be on that loaded up line, but with an eye to balance, Casey gets the help he needs instead. 

If Mittestadt struggles and it’s looking like Cozens could slide in and provide more offence, there would certainly be situations I’d prefer an approach that loads up the lines a bit. Tied late, down a goal or two. In a situation we can control matchups, etc

There's also a wrinkle available in the lineup. Cozens' Matthews/McDavid ownership in November back-to-backs last season was a speed line of Caggiula-Cozens-Hinostroza. Add Hino on RW and use the better forechecker of Krebs/JJP on the left and you've got a modified checking line as well.

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Do we even know at this point what Mitts is? We have barely seen him healthy in two years. 

This is the year to find out. More reinforcements are on their way.

We've seen flashes (April/May 2021 after HCDG took over: 16 pts in 21 games; recovering late in 2021-22 where he was a 0.5 ppg guy on mixed 2nd/3rd lines)   Edit: And training camp last year where he was the clear top center (even over Tage) to start with Skinner.

Edited by DarthEbriate

5 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

There's also a wrinkle available in the lineup. Cozens' Matthews/McDavid ownership in November back-to-backs last season was a speed line of Caggiula-Cozens-Hinostroza. Add Hino on RW and use the better forechecker of Krebs/JJP on the left and you've got a modified checking line as well.

Lots of neat tricks. 

23 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Very strong chance our middle-6 gets absolutely caved for a long stretch of games until they find their footing. 

Possibly, although I suspect the Okie line will get more minutes than those lines.  

17 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

This is what I thought about Thompson at the start of last year. I can see Mitts being packaged in a deal if he doesn't perform this year.

It’s always a package 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Relying on a rookie on each line is daunting, but gotta see what they can do.

I don't think it's as much about "relying" on them as having veterans with them to help guide them and cover up for their mistakes. 

It's all about line chemistry. I'm skeptical of  bumping Tuch down but I suppose they want to give Mitts every chance to succeed. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Apart from being the home opener and setting the tone for the season, this is an important game. The Sabres need to regularly beat the Sens, Wings, and Canadiens this season if there will be any hope of being on the bubble of a wild card spot. That's eleven "must win" games (4, 4, and 3, respectively) for the team.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Anyone a little upset that Cozens isn't the 2nd line C? Or not much should be made of that?

I think the lines will get switched up after a bit.  I think Granato is hoping for chemistry between Krebs and Cozens and hoping they will JJ along.

1 hour ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Anyone a little upset that Cozens isn't the 2nd line C? Or not much should be made of that?

I actually like the fact he’s been handed a leadership role on his line. Hope he runs with it. He’s looked ready.

59 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Very strong chance our middle-6 gets absolutely caved for a long stretch of games until they find their footing. 

Tonight they’ll be playing mostly against guys like Pinto, Motte, Kastelic, Watson, Holden and Brannstrom, so I sure as heck hope not.

Asplund and Tage will be seeing a lot of Norris and Stutzle.

And this kind of deployment will be the case more nights than not.

13 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

Apart from being the home opener and setting the tone for the season, this is an important game. The Sabres need to regularly beat the Sens, Wings, and Canadiens this season if there will be any hope of being on the bubble of a wild card spot. That's eleven "must win" games (4, 4, and 3, respectively) for the team.

And the Sens and Red Wings are saying the same about us. This is where the fun begins.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Do we even know at this point what Mitts is? We have barely seen him healthy in two years. 

It’s close to now or never for Mitts.  With KA diligently locking up his core, Mitts needs to prove he is part of the solution this year despite having another year on his current deal.  

It's a good question.  I have been expecting, and still kinda expect, that Cozens will emerge as the clear #2 C this year.  In the meantime, I still expect Cozens to end up with about as much ice time as Mitts if not more, although I'd guess that will vary from game to game depending on how the various lines are doing.

I also think, as I've said previously, that DG likes Mitts more than I do.  This is evidenced by Mitts' lineup slot, including his getting VO's slot in the right circle on PP1.

I sure hope DG is right about him.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, steveoath said:

mighty size

I've been very critical of the organizations treatment of the fans over the last decade(concession prices, arena experience, promotions such as this, etc...), but I will give credit where credit is due...this flag is a pretty cool giveaway.

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

As has been mentioned by other posters, I believe this is more an Indictment if  Mittelstadt then a reflection on Cozens.  NTrider825 on Twitter mentioned He believes that they are attempting Tage Style Breakout Season by putting Him in the best position to succeed. 

I think when the Sabres are protecting a one goal lead or need a goal and if Granato decides to shorten His Bench, Cozens will replace Mitts for that time.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.