GDT Sabres Season Opener: Sens @ Sabres 10/13/2022, 7pm, MSG, ESPN+, RDS, WGR

PromoTheRobot

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Thoughts on the game & in rink experience in no particular order.  (Well, rink experience 1st.)

PITA connecting up to the WiFi entering the building.  Probably took 5 minutes to finally get on it.  (Wouldn't be a big deal except tix are on the device that uses the WiFi.  Grrr.)  Others were also having the issue.

Remember to take your game day program coupon to Moe's for 50% off an entree thanks to Dahlin's goal.  Minor problem.  They didn't give out programs for the game.  D'oh.

They really didn't need to ramp up the PA system's volume to an 11.  With makeshift earplugs in, it was still louder than the Nick Mason concert last Su day.

Not sure why, but the shot clocks apparently used gray #'s on a gray background.  Had no idea how many shots were taken until they told us Anderson had made 35 saves when he came out as the 1st star.

They finally had most of the garbage cans in the 300 level not sticking out into the aisle ways.   When they stick out, they make passage almost impossible.  Especially in the 1st intermission.  Not sure why, but EVERYBODY leaves the seating bowl at the 1st intermission.

Instead of Rick James "Give It To Me Baby," the song played after the W as the crowd cleared out was the Goo Goo Dolls' "Broadway."  Hopefully we find out Saturday if that is this year's thing.

As for the game ...

It was obvious this was the 1st game for both teams.  LOTS of missed passes.  Wonder if there was an event in the rink the night before because the ice seemed bad.  Lots of guys falling down & lots of bouncing pucks.

Anderson came to play.  Counting partial breakaways, believe he faced 7 and stopped them all.  Definitely deserved the 1st star.

Granato seemed to not care about line matching at least in the 1st & the 3rd.  The Otters coach was rolling his lines out late & seemed to be doing what he could to have Tkachuk's line against Cozens in the 1st.  He got that matchup at least 3 times in the 1st & got a goal from it & nearly a 2nd but Power & Krebs combined to get a rebound out of harms way.  Never saw Tkachuk's line vs Cozens in the 2nd (might've been a function of all the Otter PPs) but it happened a few times in the 3rd again.  

Seemed the Norris line was usually against Thompson's line.

Power had his weakest game as a Sabre but wasn't bad & seemed to settle down as the game went on.

Overall thought the Sabres outplayed the Otters, but the Otters didn't give up 97 breakaways unlike their opponents, so let's call it a draw.

Dahlin seemed just a tad off most all game.  His passes were just missing the mark & guys were missing him by 1/2 a mile.  The shift he scored on, he's been involved in at least 4 errant passes before that incredible effort & it seemed he'd simply decided enough of this ####, let's make something happen & he did.  Simply incredible.

Krebs was a turnover machine most of the game, but he got the puck back to Dahlin on the goal & that was a glimpse of what he can be once he finally figures out what can get by an NHL D-man & what can't.

Quinn looked like he did in the AHL playoffs, but expect he'll come around.  Just needs to get used to these guys being a bit bigger & faster than what he's used to.  Expect he'll figure it out sooner than later.  Mitts & Tuch we're working hard.

Liked the Asplund line.  Solid effort.

The PK was great.  Samuelsson & Lyubushkin are definitely the 1st pair & Cozens & Asplund the 1st F pair w/ Mitts & Tuch the 2nd.  Hopefully they can continue using those young legs to let Okposo & Girgensons stay fresh for 5v5.  [Edit:  Girgensons took the 1st 1/2 of the 5v3 & Thompson & his long reach finished it out.]

Lyubushkin brings a mean this D hasn't had in quite some time but he'll take himself out of the play a bit & will end up w/ dumb penalties like his interference call.

Bryson looked better than remembered, but he did get out muscled on 2-3 occassions.

Granato didn't mess w/ the lines much except to get guys on the ice after PKs/PPs.  But Quinn was bumped from the Mitts line to get VO his goals at the end.

Both PPs were bad (PP1 was beyond bad).  The stupid drop pass to the trailer forcing EVERYBODY else to be standing still at the blue line doesn't work w/out an Eichel.  Once they started dumping it in they actually started to gain in zone possession.  (And that isn't an ideal entry either.)

Cozens & Peterka worked well together.  Liked Cozens' game in the 1st & after the beautiful set up got JJ his 1st NHL goal really liked the confidence JJ played with.  Though had he actually shot the puck the next time he was in front of the net might've had another one.

Didn't think the Thompson line played bad, but Norris - DeBrincat - & Stutzle is a very good line & they were normally out against them.  And late in the 1st we saw why Skinner chose the goal song he did as his dancing had the D-man tied I knots & should've drawn a penalty at minimum.

Seemed everybody was working hard, but as said earlier, REALLY sloppy game.  They have to clean stuff up or tomorrow's game could be ugly.

Fun game to be at.  Seemed to go quickly once they finally got through all the pregame ceremonies.

I’ll agree with 85.66% of this. 

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Thoughts on the game & in rink experience in no particular order.  (Well, rink experience 1st.)

PITA connecting up to the WiFi entering the building.  Probably took 5 minutes to finally get on it.  (Wouldn't be a big deal except tix are on the device that uses the WiFi.  Grrr.)  Others were also having the issue.

Remember to take your game day program coupon to Moe's for 50% off an entree thanks to Dahlin's goal.  Minor problem.  They didn't give out programs for the game.  D'oh.

They really didn't need to ramp up the PA system's volume to an 11.  With makeshift earplugs in, it was still louder than the Nick Mason concert last Su day.

Not sure why, but the shot clocks apparently used gray #'s on a gray background.  Had no idea how many shots were taken until they told us Anderson had made 35 saves when he came out as the 1st star.

They finally had most of the garbage cans in the 300 level not sticking out into the aisle ways.   When they stick out, they make passage almost impossible.  Especially in the 1st intermission.  Not sure why, but EVERYBODY leaves the seating bowl at the 1st intermission.

Instead of Rick James "Give It To Me Baby," the song played after the W as the crowd cleared out was the Goo Goo Dolls' "Broadway."  Hopefully we find out Saturday if that is this year's thing.

As for the game ...

It was obvious this was the 1st game for both teams.  LOTS of missed passes.  Wonder if there was an event in the rink the night before because the ice seemed bad.  Lots of guys falling down & lots of bouncing pucks.

Anderson came to play.  Counting partial breakaways, believe he faced 7 and stopped them all.  Definitely deserved the 1st star.

Granato seemed to not care about line matching at least in the 1st & the 3rd.  The Otters coach was rolling his lines out late & seemed to be doing what he could to have Tkachuk's line against Cozens in the 1st.  He got that matchup at least 3 times in the 1st & got a goal from it & nearly a 2nd but Power & Krebs combined to get a rebound out of harms way.  Never saw Tkachuk's line vs Cozens in the 2nd (might've been a function of all the Otter PPs) but it happened a few times in the 3rd again.  

Seemed the Norris line was usually against Thompson's line.

Power had his weakest game as a Sabre but wasn't bad & seemed to settle down as the game went on.

Overall thought the Sabres outplayed the Otters, but the Otters didn't give up 97 breakaways unlike their opponents, so let's call it a draw.

Dahlin seemed just a tad off most all game.  His passes were just missing the mark & guys were missing him by 1/2 a mile.  The shift he scored on, he's been involved in at least 4 errant passes before that incredible effort & it seemed he'd simply decided enough of this ####, let's make something happen & he did.  Simply incredible.

Krebs was a turnover machine most of the game, but he got the puck back to Dahlin on the goal & that was a glimpse of what he can be once he finally figures out what can get by an NHL D-man & what can't.

Quinn looked like he did in the AHL playoffs, but expect he'll come around.  Just needs to get used to these guys being a bit bigger & faster than what he's used to.  Expect he'll figure it out sooner than later.  Mitts & Tuch we're working hard.

Liked the Asplund line.  Solid effort.

The PK was great.  Samuelsson & Lyubushkin are definitely the 1st pair & Cozens & Asplund the 1st F pair w/ Mitts & Tuch the 2nd.  Hopefully they can continue using those young legs to let Okposo & Girgensons stay fresh for 5v5.  [Edit:  Girgensons took the 1st 1/2 of the 5v3 & Thompson & his long reach finished it out.]

Lyubushkin brings a mean this D hasn't had in quite some time but he'll take himself out of the play a bit & will end up w/ dumb penalties like his interference call.

Bryson looked better than remembered, but he did get out muscled on 2-3 occassions.

Granato didn't mess w/ the lines much except to get guys on the ice after PKs/PPs.  But Quinn was bumped from the Mitts line to get VO his goals at the end.

Both PPs were bad (PP1 was beyond bad).  The stupid drop pass to the trailer forcing EVERYBODY else to be standing still at the blue line doesn't work w/out an Eichel.  Once they started dumping it in they actually started to gain in zone possession.  (And that isn't an ideal entry either.)

Cozens & Peterka worked well together.  Liked Cozens' game in the 1st & after the beautiful set up got JJ his 1st NHL goal really liked the confidence JJ played with.  Though had he actually shot the puck the next time he was in front of the net might've had another one.

Didn't think the Thompson line played bad, but Norris - DeBrincat - & Stutzle is a very good line & they were normally out against them.  And late in the 1st we saw why Skinner chose the goal song he did as his dancing had the D-man tied I knots & should've drawn a penalty at minimum.

Seemed everybody was working hard, but as said earlier, REALLY sloppy game.  They have to clean stuff up or tomorrow's game could be ugly.

Fun game to be at.  Seemed to go quickly once they finally got through all the pregame ceremonies.

I meant to add in my GBU post that I detest the PP neutral zone drop pass.  I never liked it, never will…and I don’t understand the benefit of it. 

👎🏻👎🏻👎🏻

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

How does that guy watch every game?

He doesn't watch every game.  He watches as much as he can and then watches stretches of games on replay or the highlights.  Plus on busy nights his wife helps out.  It's his fulltime job at this point.

2 hours ago, SDS said:

What was said that couldn't be said in watching the 7 min game recaps on yahoo?

He does go through the stats as well, and he did talk about the tribute.

2 hours ago, SDS said:

I watched and it felt like he read an AP post-game report coupled with some chronological listing of events. I wanted my time back for that, as I already watched the game.

Okay so he's not for everybody.

What I like about the guy is that he's kind of a gauge of how non-Sabres fans feel about what's happening in Buffalo (he lives in the Vancouver market and likes the Canucks; secondary teams are Dallas and Boston).

2 hours ago, Curt said:

Lots of complaints about sloppiness, turnovers and defensive miscues.  That’s pretty standard for the first month of the NHL season league wide. Teams often don’t have their systems fine tuned and the games are a little more open.

It should get better with more reps.

And the Sabres are playing three rookies in prominent roles.  It will take a while for them to adjust, and for the whole team to get their timing down.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Took me half the first period to be able to actually watch the game. It was bad 

Definitely takes some getting used to.  After a while it will become something our brains actively ignore but right now the novelty of the ads is very distracting.

7 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Season 4 Whatever GIF by The Office

I know, I know....

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, matter2003 said:

wouldn't be the first time the Sens were a bad matchup for the Sabres...I believe in the year we beat them in the playoffs on Pominville's OT winner that we lost every game to them in the regular season.

The handled us in the season series (3-5), including 3 humbling losses to start the season series, but we actually won the last 2, including a 6-2 road regulation victory (first regulation win against them in season) to vault us into a 5-game win streak to enter the playoffs hot

10 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Interesting.  I am of the opinion that Mitts is actually a pretty mediocre skater -- i.e. not quick in small spaces and not particularly fast when he gets going.  However, last night he looked to me much more poised, thinking the game better and making better decisions and more accurate passes than ever (recognizing that there is much room for improvement among the entire team, including him).  He also looked to me like he's in the best physical condition of his career.

I agree about Tuch and the lines.  It's too soon for panic but if TT and Skinner look lousy again tomorrow I'll be ready for Tuch to move back to their line.

The Mitts thing is interesting. I'm not going to add anything here but I am sure we will be talking about this again after other game(s). 

TT looking lousy after the contract would be a nightmare, as would a Skinner regression. Hopefully just a one game thing. 

17 hours ago, Thorny said:

The handled us in the season series (3-5), including 3 humbling losses to start the season series, but we actually won the last 2, including a 6-2 road regulation victory (first regulation win against them in season) to vault us into a 5-game win streak to enter the playoffs hot

Oh wow...guess I misremembered that. 

On 10/14/2022 at 7:05 AM, FogBat said:

Where did you get this GIF? It looks like Cannibal Corpse - especially with George Fisher’s windmilling and Alex Webster’s blond hair.

Right from the GIF box in the upper right when you reply to something. I just searched for "headbanging" lol 

On 10/14/2022 at 2:44 AM, PerreaultForever said:

Analytics can deceive. 

Agree on the D pairing. I suspect that is why they extended him now. They see this combination long term. I've been arguing for years that Dahlin needs a rock beside him and a set pairing. I think we finally have it. 

Power however, might need a better partner. 

Definitely.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.