Around The NHL 2022-23 Regular Season

Brawndo

6 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

there really wasn't much difference in our offer and the bruins one.   He took the one from what looked to be a better team and sure stanley cup contender over the team with question marks.

I know, we needed to go higher than them to make it an offer he couldn't refuse. But if he wouldn't take it, we needed a plan B goalie(s) not what we did. 

5 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

You do realize he picked boston .

He did, and who wouldn't? But we could have offered more. 

8 hours ago, Stormcloudmember66 said:

Hate to say it, but this is in the Sabres hands. They win and the should make it. Florida has a rough schedule ahead. Sabres need to just keep winning. But, we know how that went last time

why do you hate to say it?

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I know, we needed to go higher than them to make it an offer he couldn't refuse. But if he wouldn't take it, we needed a plan B goalie(s) not what we did. 

Why ? He wasn't this "Allstar" you see now

he was average 

Edited by Buffalonill

it’s hard to sign a player when they absolutely do not want to play for your team. 

hey I’ll pay you $10 an hour to work at McDonald’s

… but I don’t want to work at McDonald’s

OK I’ll pay you $15 an hour to work at McDonald’s

OK I’ll pay you $20 an hour to work at McDonald’s

… i’m going to go to work at five guys because that’s where I wanna work.

you’re going to work there? How much are they going to pay you?

… $20 an hour

… I told you… I don’t want to work at McDonald’s.

Ullmark had his mindset that he just does not want to work for the Sabres. And he also would not be the goaltender he is in Boston… At all… If he was still with Buffalo. Why is that strong possibility lost on people?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Zamboni said:

it’s hard to sign a player when they absolutely do not want to play for your team. 

hey I’ll pay you $10 an hour to work at McDonald’s

OK I’ll pay you $15 an hour to work at McDonald’s

OK I’ll pay you $20 an hour to work at McDonald’s

… i’m going to go to work at five guys because that’s where I wanna work.

you’re going to work there? How much are they going to pay you?

… $20 an hour

… I told you… I don’t want to work at McDonald’s.

Ullmark had his mindset that he just does not want to work for the Sabres. And he also would not be the goaltender he is in Boston… At all… If he was still with Buffalo. Why is that strong possibility lost on people?

And in some cases, you'll take $18 an hour at Five Guys just to not work at McDonald's.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

he was average 

He was a competent goalie in Buffalo. Probably the same skill as now. The difference is we aren’t the Bruins and he was injured all the time. Either way, it’s probably a mistake KA wishes he had back. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

he was average 

Question of whether or not you saw his potential. Sweeney obviously did. Ullmark just needed a reliable D in front of him. They made him better, he made them better, confidence grew. We went out of our way to keep him away from Vegas, we developed him slowly and properly and then we let him go when he was ready to peak. Dumb plan. 

Having said that, if we'd traded for or signed one of the Russians or others available at that time I'd have been fine with that too. imo what we did instead wasn't that different from Murray trading all his goalies away to tank. 

5 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Question of whether or not you saw his potential. Sweeney obviously did. Ullmark just needed a reliable D in front of him. They made him better, he made them better, confidence grew. We went out of our way to keep him away from Vegas, we developed him slowly and properly and then we let him go when he was ready to peak. Dumb plan. 

Having said that, if we'd traded for or signed one of the Russians or others available at that time I'd have been fine with that too. imo what we did instead wasn't that different from Murray trading all his goalies away to tank. 

Again, he might not have wanted to come back.  

25 minutes ago, MBD said:

Again, he might not have wanted to come back.  

Of course that's possible and that was on Adams. To reiterate, just before the trade deadline you give him your absolute best offer. He signs great, he doesn't you deadline deal him (if you can for anything) then you trade for one of the goalies that teams were going to lose in expansion as we had no protected goalie worth protecting. Or you grab one off Seattle like Washington did. There were ways to shore up the position for these years that were no difficult to do. 

I still want a goalie this off season. I know Levi Levi Levi and maybe he's the future, but I'd still sign a veteran to play with him. It's playoffs or bust from now on. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

15 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Man there literally wasn't a plan B - Half the teams in the league were looking for a goalie.   Who says he didn't offer Linus more money but that he decided to leave this cluster***** of a franchise he been in for 6 years.

Now with a bit of luch we meet Boston in the first round and we can try having our revenge with Levi in net 🙂

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Of course that's possible and that was on Adams. To reiterate, just before the trade deadline you give him your absolute best offer. He signs great, he doesn't you deadline deal him (if you can for anything) then you trade for one of the goalies that teams were going to lose in expansion as we had no protected goalie worth protecting. Or you grab one off Seattle like Washington did. There were ways to shore up the position for these years that were no difficult to do. 

I still want a goalie this off season. I know Levi Levi Levi and maybe he's the future, but I'd still sign a veteran to play with him. It's playoffs or bust from now on. 

To the first part, emphatic yes. They should have traded him as a rental (and then offered him a fair market deal when he hit UFA anyway). You don't let your only good goalie/center/#1D, etc. reach UFA when your organization has been garbage for 10 years.

As to the concluding bolded sentence... once the foundation is built, there is no bust. Tampa went to the 2016 ECF, the next season they missed the playoffs. They didn't blow anything up. Cooper was still coach, Yzerman was still GM. They went right back to the ECF the next season. Then, Yzerman left and his longtime AGM took over. They got swept in the first round. No major shakeup. And then they went on their current run. Build the player foundation (Dahlin, Power) and some changes will take place and some aberrations will happen, but you open the door and it will stay open as long as the core is there and the ancillary pieces are renewed. For Tampa, it started with tanking with Torts all the way back in 2007. Hedman joined the team in 2009-10 and it's been a basic upward trajectory since then.

Edited by DarthEbriate

6 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

To the first part, emphatic yes. They should have traded him as a rental (and then offered him a fair market deal when he hit UFA anyway). You don't let your only good goalie/center/#1D, etc. reach UFA when your organization has been garbage for 10 years.

As to the concluding bolded sentence... once the foundation is built, there is no bust. Tampa went to the 2016 ECF, the next season they missed the playoffs. They didn't blow anything up. Cooper was still coach, Yzerman was still GM. They went right back to the ECF the next season. Then, Yzerman left and his longtime AGM took over. They got swept in the first round. No major shakeup. And then they went on their current run. Build the player foundation (Dahlin, Power) and some changes will take place and some aberrations will happen, but you open the door and it will stay open as long as the core is there and the ancillary pieces are renewed. For Tampa, it started with tanking with Torts all the way back in 2007. Hedman joined the team in 2009-10 and it's been a basic upward trajectory since then.

I get it, you hope we become like Tampa. That'd be good, but we have a way to go yet. 

I don't know what you mean by "there is no bust" though. Generally making the playoffs is considered a level of success and missing the playoffs is failure. At what point do you elevate the bar to the point where the standard is indeed making the playoffs as the minimum? To me it's next year (since they likely missed this one)

• Agree 1

On 4/3/2023 at 8:02 AM, Zamboni said:

I can't find it now, but there was an article on Ullmark a few weeks ago (NHL.com maybe?) that basically said his style, the whole way he plays net changed over this offseason. The Bruins coaching staff wanted him to make some major changes to his game, he resisted for a while, but he finally gave in and started playing a different style, and that is when his numbers got better.   If anyone can find the link to that article, it was kinda short on exact details but interesting.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

And since you can see right through the bag, you know right away that you didn't pick up the wrong order.

??  I've been to enough Five Guys, including the original in Arlington 25 years ago, before it expanded, and what?  The bags were/are white paper.

5 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I can't find it now, but there was an article on Ullmark a few weeks ago (NHL.com maybe?) that basically said his style, the whole way he plays net changed over this offseason. The Bruins coaching staff wanted him to make some major changes to his game, he resisted for a while, but he finally gave in and started playing a different style, and that is when his numbers got better.   If anyone can find the link to that article, it was kinda short on exact details but interesting.

https://www.nhl.com/news/unmasked-recoil-technique-helps-linus-ullmark-to-best-season-for-boston-bruins/c-342605556

Think this is it

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, steveoath said:

Ya, there's a lot of talk among Bruins fans that Goalie Bob (Essensa) is a genius and the best goalie coach in the league. He might be. 

Have to hope younger Tkachuk demolishes older Tkachuk and Tampa still cares enough to beat the Isles Thursday. If Pitt also loses to Minnesota and we beat Detroit it won't be over just yet and the slim hope will still be there. 

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Just feels so wrong that we were such a crap team and yet we gave Seattle one of their better expansion pick ups. 

Really?

The Kraken selected Adam Larsson, Vince Dunn, Jamie Oleksiak, & Carson Soucy in the expansion draft.  Soucy is about the same stats wise as Borgen and the others are all above him.  So he's not even in the top 3 defense they received.

Now, let's talk about McCann, Eberle, Gourde, and potentially a few others on Forward.

So Borgen did what here?  Fought?  Big deal.  He's not the difference maker in Seattle and he'd be a JAG here too.

Would it be nice if he were on the roster now?  Potentially. But he's not.. you keep diving back into the history books looking for "what ifs".

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.