Around The NHL 2022-23 Regular Season

Brawndo

5 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I kind of look at it a different way. If this was a pure developmental year, maybe a couple of the guys in Rochester would have been called up and given a couple game look at the expense of some of the veterans at the bottom of the lineup. Patrica and Quinn would have gotten even more ice time than they did, and we wouldn't have seen the young guys get their ice time cut down at the end of games as much as they have in some recently.

To me this was always going to be a developmental year, but with the sabers being close to a playoff spot, I think Adams and Granato ended up pushing the ice time on the top line, and Dahlin more than they may have wanted to to actually give this team more of a chance to make the playoffs when this was supposed to be more of a developmental year.

IMO, developmental year is as much about forcing Tuch and Tage and Ras and Mitts to play lead roles as it is giving JJ and Power and Quinn and Krebs ice time instead of adding Chiarots and Perrons and Copps.

3 hours ago, French Collection said:

Lots of losses that we thought were gimme games.

I am 0-2 in live viewings, both in Ottawa.

By my quick count we are 5/7/1 against the league’s top 5 teams and 7/2/2 against the 5 worst.

Against the conference rivals we needed to beat to get in: 4/5/1 against Pit, NYI, and Fla, 6/3/1 against Det, Was and Ott.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

IMO, developmental year is as much about forcing Tuch and Tage and Ras and Mitts to play lead roles as it is giving JJ and Power and Quinn and Krebs ice time instead of adding Chiarots and Perrons and Copps.

By my quick count we are 5/7/1 against the league’s top 5 teams and 7/2/2 against the 5 worst.

Against the conference rivals we needed to beat to get in: 4/5/1 against Pit, NYI, and Fla, 6/3/1 against Det, Was and Ott.

Still say the games that killed their chances were the ones where their "best" goalie was given the start against bad teams making those game "guaranteed" wins and he gave up really bad goals right at the beginning of the game setting the tone or at the beginning of the 3rd giving one of the 3 worst teams in hockey life and a belief they could pull the game out.  1 out of 10 points in those games.  All after the calendar flipped into 2023.  Get 7 points out of those games instead of 1 and they're pretty much in.  Even taking 5 points would've had them in the playoffs barring a collapse this week.

Tack the Nashville debacle onto it, and there's a big part of missing should we not get a minor miracle this week.  (Hey, tis the season.)  And all the talk of not giving the team enough support or selling at a discount future pieces to help this year would be moot.

9 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I kind of look at it a different way. If this was a pure developmental year, maybe a couple of the guys in Rochester would have been called up and given a couple game look at the expense of some of the veterans at the bottom of the lineup. Patrica and Quinn would have gotten even more ice time than they did, and we wouldn't have seen the young guys get their ice time cut down at the end of games as much as they have in some recently.

To me this was always going to be a developmental year, but with the sabers being close to a playoff spot, I think Adams and Granato ended up pushing the ice time on the top line, and Dahlin more than they may have wanted to to actually give this team more of a chance to make the playoffs when this was supposed to be more of a developmental year.

I find it strange that you can't spell Sabres or come anywhere close to Peterka. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

On 4/9/2023 at 3:15 PM, PerreaultForever said:

I find it strange that you can't spell Sabres or come anywhere close to Peterka. 

I find it strange do you have nothing better to do but to point out other peoples mistakes in their posts, especially considered that some of us are responding on our phone and Auto correct sometimes makes changes for us.

I personally have other things going on in my life where I'm not going to prove read every single letter of every single word that I post.

9 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I find it strange do you have nothing better to do but to point out other peoples mistakes in their posts, especially considered that some of us are responding on our phone and Auto correct sometimes makes changes for us.

I personally have other things going on in my life where I'm not going to prove read every single letter of every single word that I post.

5dt0rl.jpg

• Haha (+1) 2

Leafs are squeezing every dollar they can out of the cap. 
They signed a goalie to an ATO to back up Samsonov the other night and will do it again tonight vs Florida. They have AHL goalies available but needed the cap space to sign NCAA prospect Matthew Knies.

I know I am repeating myself but I can’t believe KA did not do more at the deadline to acquire a few assets for some salary retention.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Leafs are squeezing every dollar they can out of the cap. 
They signed a goalie to an ATO to back up Samsonov the other night and will do it again tonight vs Florida. They have AHL goalies available but needed the cap space to sign NCAA prospect Matthew Knies.

I know I am repeating myself but I can’t believe KA did not do more at the deadline to acquire a few assets for some salary retention.

To be honest, I love watching Toronto jump through hoops

6 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

To be honest, I love watching Toronto jump through hoops

It's only a hoop until next weekend. Then, everyone will magically be healthy enough to play again, including VGK's Mark Stone who does have a legitimate back injury, but certainly wasn't able to play in the regular season once it was apparent they were good enough this season to make the playoffs without him. It's why LTIR should mean until the start of the next season 7/1 or similar date. The GMs won't ever do it because it hampers their own flexibility, but the cap limit should extend for the entire season.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

This is, of course, correct. Regrettably, I feel compelled to point out that the correct phrase in the final sentence is "proof read." The irony of the coincidence is rather amusing. If this was a planned error, that is quite subtle.

34 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

It's only a hoop until next weekend. Then, everyone will magically be healthy enough to play again, including VGK's Mark Stone who does have a legitimate back injury, but certainly wasn't able to play in the regular season once it was apparent they were good enough this season to make the playoffs without him. It's why LTIR should mean until the start of the next season 7/1 or similar date. The GMs won't ever do it because it hampers their own flexibility, but the cap limit should extend for the entire season.

Personally, would prefer they have a cap for the dressed lineup for the playoffs.  If that were the regular season cap, it would still give teams leeway to exceed the regular season cap as only 20 players would be counting against the cap and not the normal 23.  But this would reduce the benefit a team gets by keeping a $10MM player on the shelf until the playoffs as squeezing him back into the lineup will put a dent into the quality of the lower lines & pairing and also could leave a sieve as the backup.

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

Buying lottery tickets seemed like low hanging fruit. It also deprives your competition of those lottery tickets. Whatever, either they dont agree as to the value of that, or Lord Terrence wouldn't approve the spend. Doesn't really matter at this point.

Lighten up. 

It's funny when someone on a fan site spells their team wrong. Have a laugh at it yourself and relax. 

"Patricia" was pretty good tonight. 

14 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

This is, of course, correct. Regrettably, I feel compelled to point out that the correct phrase in the final sentence is "proof read." The irony of the coincidence is rather amusing. If this was a planned error, that is quite subtle.

Proofread.

11 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Lighten up. 

It's funny when someone on a fan site spells their team wrong. Have a laugh at it yourself and relax. 

"Patricia" was pretty good tonight. 

Its always easy for the one who is poking and jabbing at other people to say 'lighten up' when they get any kind of feedback. I'll lighten up when you grow up.  Just don't take shots at people when they have one or two posts with spelling errors.  It adds nothing to the converstation. Nothing good can come out of a person correcting or joking about a spelling error or grammer error on an online sports message forum.  You don't like it, thjen maybe doing something like going to the 'complaint Thursday' forum and complaining how many errors people make when posting is something that won't offend people.  But responding to a post with a sarcastic comment about someone not spelling a name correctly? That is just childish.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Its always easy for the one who is poking and jabbing at other people to say 'lighten up' when they get any kind of feedback. I'll lighten up when you grow up.  Just don't take shots at people when they have one or two posts with spelling errors.  It adds nothing to the converstation. Nothing good can come out of a person correcting or joking about a spelling error or grammer error on an online sports message forum.  You don't like it, thjen maybe doing something like going to the 'complaint Thursday' forum and complaining how many errors people make when posting is something that won't offend people.  But responding to a post with a sarcastic comment about someone not spelling a name correctly? That is just childish.

You forgot the apostrophe in the word It’s

95v82i.gif

😎

• Haha (+1) 4

18 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Clearly 

I make a joke about you spelling Peterka as Patricia and you give me a lecture instead of having a laugh. I wonder who's adding nothing to the converstation.

Once again, lighten up. 

18 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I make a joke about you spelling Peterka as Patricia and you give me a lecture instead of having a laugh. I wonder who's adding nothing to the converstation.

Once again, lighten up. 

My spell checker kept converting Peterka to Patricia until I over-rode it.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.