Around The NHL 2022-23 Regular Season

Brawndo

5 hours ago, tom webster said:

They gave up a first 3 years from now. The rest of the picks are shots in the dark. Even during the best of times you are looking to hit once or twice a year on these picks. They are still a stacked team that can take these type of chances.

I agree on the hit rate and also the risk and timeline. But that's 6 assets for 1 player I think is closer to a Kassian-level career than a Lucic.

7 hours ago, shrader said:

Whether or not the players make it, that's a lot of ammo for future trades that they no longer have.

Yes, and I am having a lot of fun watching Tampa, Toronto, and Boston recklessly spend what little currency they have.  The Sabres are going to be in good shape soon, relative to those three.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It is, as long as the owner and fans are prepared for the upcoming drought.

I do wonder what goes through the heads of certain Blackhawk fans.  We all know what carrot is dangled in front of that organization, but for the more casual fan, it's pretty tough to sell them some draft picks from 2050.

7 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Yes, and I am having a lot of fun watching Tampa, Toronto, and Boston recklessly spend what little currency they have.  The Sabres are going to be in good shape soon, relative to those three.

Said everyone at this point every season for the last 7 years.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Ottawa hosts Detroit tonight (right now) and again tomorrow. They could end the series tied in points and games played (probably best for Buffalo) or Detroit could leave Ontario up by 8 points and the Sens fully cooked in time for the deadline. Should be fun hockey. No overtime, please!

Brassard (ott) "We've earned the right to be buyers" "hopefully Pierre (gm) adds some help".  
https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-trade-buzz-news-and-notes-february-27/c-341572048
Feels pretty candid / direct compared to the usual player speak.

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I thought this was a great explanation by Brisebois the Tampa GM 

I’m not sure it’s a GREAT explanation.  The statement boils down to “this player helps us win now, when we need it, and the picks don’t”.  Thats a concept that I think everyone understands.

The point of contention is the value of those picks as currency VS the quality of player they received.

Is the quality of the player received equal to the trade value of those picks?  Could those picks have been better used?

I’d argue that they should have been able to get more for those assets.

The explanation kind of stinks of “you think you know what those picks are worth, but you don’t, we know what they are really worth”.

And also, I think it comes off as insecure.  A GM who is feeling secure and great about their situation probably doesn’t feel the need to issue a public statement explaining why “no no, really, the thing we just did was smart, I promise!”.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Curt said:

I’m not sure it’s a GREAT explanation.  The statement boils down to “this player helps us win now, when we need it, and the picks don’t”.  Thats a concept that I think everyone understands.

The point of contention is the value of those picks as currency VS the quality of player they received.

Is the quality of the player received equal to the trade value of those picks?  Could those picks have been better used?

I’d argue that they should have been able to get more for those assets.

The explanation kind of stinks of “you think you know what those picks are worth, but you don’t, we know what they are really worth”.

And also, I think it comes off as insecure.  A GM who is feeling secure and great about their situation probably doesn’t feel the need to issue a public statement explaining why “no no, really, the thing we just did was smart, I promise!”.

For sure he is trying to justify this trade. He obviously really wanted Jeannot and Poile sensed it, holding out for maximum value.

The Bolts are in a different position than most teams, 3 consecutive finals and still having their core. His view of picks is different than say Chicago, at this point in time. Chicago was doing this type of trade when they were winning 3 Cups.

Draft picks played a role in getting Stamkos, Hedman, Kucherov, Vasilevskiy and Point.

I think he over payed by a lot but they may win a Cup.

Edited by French Collection

15 hours ago, Weave said:

When I first read that tweet I thought, thats fuggin ridiculous.  But your point is well made.  I don’t know squat about Cal Foote, but all the rest is 1 or 2 NHL players most likely.  Is Jeannot really worth 2 NHLers and whatever Cal Foote’s value is?  If Tampa gets to the finals again and Jeannot is a positive contributor to it, I wouldn’t bitch as a fan.  You only get so many kicks at it.  Might as well be all in while the window is open.

Yep I really think the evaluation of the assets changes significantly based on the perspective of where you are sitting as a team. Window, like you say, but also practical: it’s like the inverse of the scorched earth tank we did. 

So often arguments get made that break down, say, one of our old GM’s overall draft records, or history of transactions, and the “hit” rates aren’t even far off the average if at all. But when you completely tear everything down you are having to address so many holes the overall degree of difficulty goes way up. You have to run that perfect, Mahomes in the SB-like second half where you play mistake free ball. It’s also why quantity, hoarding prospect and picks matters so much cause you need all those darts 

we don’t appreciate how much insulation the great franchises have and how much less that quantity matters 

Possibly, but I wouldn't count Ottawa out yet either. They are a long shot, but they might also be the best built for the end of season hockey we will see now. But yes, at the moment, it helps us. 

Tampa paid a fortune for Jeannot, but he should be a force for them in the playoffs and they will give the Leafs (if not everyone) trouble.

• Agree 2

14 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I thought this was a great explanation by Brisebois the Tampa GM 

It may be a good explanation for some teams, but the Bolts have a history of finding great players in later rounds. A good proportion of their best players were drafted in Rd 2 or higher. Point was a 3rd, Kucherov was Rd 2. It’s just a weird response when he says the odds of these picks being NHL players is low, then why even have a draft?

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

It may be a good explanation for some teams, but the Bolts have a history of finding great players in later rounds. A good proportion of their best players were drafted in Rd 2 or higher. Point was a 3rd, Kucherov was Rd 2. It’s just a weird response when he says the odds of these picks being NHL players is low, then why even have a draft?

He knows the trade on its face looks like a ton to give up for a bottom six forward.  He's trying to manage the messaging.  Will it work?  Expect that comes down to whether they get past TO again or if TO finally sees the 2nd round.

And he is right in that except for Foote, the 1st, and the 2nd, most likely none of that ever sees the NHL and Tampa's studs will be well past their sell by date before any of the picks could've helped them on the ice.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.