GDT Penguins at Sabres 1 PM 10/01/22. Sabres.com, NHL Network, WGR

Brawndo

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Now that right there is a top scoring line.

The only concern is the lack of a defensively strong forward, they did get hemmed in the defensive zone at times today

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

Quinn and Power are going to make our team better.

So, in a different way, is Ilya Lyubushkin. Man is exactly like advertised.

UPL not ready to accept Rochester. More please.

Lubushkin was particularly noticeable on the PK. Twice they won the face off back to Boosh and the puck was cleared within 4 seconds 

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

UPL was positionally sound he made a lot of saves just by pucks hitting him.   

That said, he did not look confident and his rebound control was poor.   

He needs a full HEALTHY season in Roc to gain back some confidence and fine tune his game.

That’s the plan per Adams to play as many games as possible this season. 

Granato bringing up the fact that UPL is in much better shape this pre-season was eye opening. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I finally got to watch a preseason game. Well almost all of it. First period feed was messed up but I saw the 2nd and 3rd. I thought UPL was outstanding. maybe the goaltending issue will be solved internally after all. Maybe. 

The team played okay but not great imo. I'm really not impressed by Krebs and I don't think Quinn or Peterka are ready. Flashes, but not great. Cozens seemed the same as last year which was also a little disappointing. He has to move forward sooner than later. Power will be just fine. 

Drake freakin' Caggiula almost steals the game. That would have been weird irony. 

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I finally got to watch a preseason game. Well almost all of it. First period feed was messed up but I saw the 2nd and 3rd. I thought UPL was outstanding. maybe the goaltending issue will be solved internally after all. Maybe. 

The team played okay but not great imo. I'm really not impressed by Krebs and I don't think Quinn or Peterka are ready. Flashes, but not great. Cozens seemed the same as last year which was also a little disappointing. He has to move forward sooner than later. Power will be just fine. 

Drake freakin' Caggiula almost steals the game. That would have been weird irony. 

It’s the preseason, is anyone ready? And they are rookies.  What is your expectation for each? I’ll take flashes over obscurity, which is what the bottom six has offered in recent memory. 

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

It’s the preseason, is anyone ready? And they are rookies.  What is your expectation for each? I’ll take flashes over obscurity, which is what the bottom six has offered in recent memory. 

Yes, obviously it's the preseason. I'm not going anoint UPL the starting goalie after that one game either, but he was good. 

I'm looking for flashes of brilliance and moments that impress me. If Quinn lasered a shot like Tage did for example. I expect mistakes and off moments but want to see little things or moments that show more promise too. imo they aren't showing enough. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Granato bringing up the fact that UPL is in much better shape this pre-season was eye opening. 

Had not heard talk of that before. It would explain the injuries and their unwillingness to commit to him; they’ve made all-in self-improvers a clear priority.

Be nice if last season was a wake-up call and the new culture is rubbing off.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Needs to look like a veteran paired with Jokiharju.

More games like that and I’ll be coming over to your side.

He got better, but the first he was producing turnovers faster than Pilsbury

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Yes, obviously it's the preseason. I'm not going anoint UPL the starting goalie after that one game either, but he was good. 

I'm looking for flashes of brilliance and moments that impress me. If Quinn lasered a shot like Tage did for example. I expect mistakes and off moments but want to see little things or moments that show more promise too. imo they aren't showing enough. 

Seriously who has access to your cereal every morning? Cause I’m pretty sure someone is peeing in it.  I can’t imagine being miserable day and day out 

• Haha (+1) 2

It’s preseason … you take a lot of what you see in these exhibition games seriously and definitively … that’s on you.

Like Comrie sucks, or Krebs is terrible, or Cozens isn’t developing fast enough.

I remember the impatient and often (in my opinion) ignorant definitive negative comments about Dahlin, Olofsson, TNT, Reinhart, ERod, and I can go on and on.
Good grief … 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

Seriously who has access to your cereal every morning? Cause I’m pretty sure someone is peeing in it.  I can’t imagine being miserable day and day out 

Why do you say that? I'm not miserable at all. My question to you would be after the last decade how can you willingly drink the kool-aid so quickly ? I have stated repeatedly for over a year now that I'm in the show me and prove it stage. Blind fandom for this stupid franchise is expired. 

UPL was impressive. Krebs and Quinn were not. That's just facts. 

6 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Twice they won the face off back to Boosh and the puck was cleared within 4 seconds 

More importantly, they won the faceoff, which they did more often than not:

• Krebs 1/2 50%
  • Quinn 1/3 33%
  • Cozens 10/15 66%
  • Hinostroza 2/2 100%
  • Thompson 9/16 56%
  • Asplund 4/10 40%
  • Savoie 5/9 56%

SABRES 32/57 56%

Nice to have the advantage at the faceoff dot, eh?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, pi2000 said:

UPL was positionally sound he made a lot of saves just by pucks hitting him.   

That said, he did not look confident and his rebound control was poor.   

He needs a full HEALTHY season in Roc to gain back some confidence and fine tune his game.

His rebound control is always poor...one of the biggest reasons he is not permanently in the NHL yet.

In fact, by advanced metrics, his rebounds above expected was 70th out of 73 goalies last year, so basically among the worst in the NHL at controlling rebounds.

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Why do you say that? I'm not miserable at all. My question to you would be after the last decade how can you willingly drink the kool-aid so quickly ? I have stated repeatedly for over a year now that I'm in the show me and prove it stage. Blind fandom for this stupid franchise is expired. 

UPL was impressive. Krebs and Quinn were not. That's just facts. 

Actually, you are the only one I’ve seen negatively commenting on Quinn. 

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Did you not see the shots and passes Quinn did yesterday. He's improved in every game this preseason. 

29 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Interesting thought here 

It's a Homer thought and false.

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

I hope fans don't get upset about this year with all the expectations they think will happen.

I still see buffalo regressing to the bottom 5 this year .. this isn't me being negative just see a lot of rookie mistakes but fun hockey 

Lol, ain't happening. 

What was our bet again, 100 bucks?

6 hours ago, Doohickie said:

More importantly, they won the faceoff, which they did more often than not:

• Krebs 1/2 50%
  • Quinn 1/3 33%
  • Cozens 10/15 66%
  • Hinostroza 2/2 100%
  • Thompson 9/16 56%
  • Asplund 4/10 40%
  • Savoie 5/9 56%

SABRES 32/57 56%

Nice to have the advantage at the faceoff dot, eh?

No, it's like leading in hits. 

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

I hope fans don't get upset about this year with all the expectations they think will happen.

I still see buffalo regressing to the bottom 5 this year .. this isn't me being negative just see a lot of rookie mistakes but fun hockey 

They've been fun to watch since Granato took over, well about 10 games after with the adjustment. 

I can't see that last point(bottom 5) happening at all. Where they end up comes down to goal tending. Over the past 2 seasons, they've averaged 3.5 ppg against, whereas they've increased their scoring average from 2.39 to 2.79. That uptick in scoring got them out of the bottom 5.  I expect their scoring to rise a bit higher this year, so better GT could put them closer to contending for a playoff spot (closer, they may not be close enough yet).  I also expect the D to be a bit better, which should also improve their goals against. So, barring a slew of injuries in goal again, I think they'll most likely end up middle of the league pack (16-20?).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.