Sean Monahan and 2025 1st traded to Montreal for nothing, do you wish the Sabres did it?

LGR4GM

We're not doing deals like these.  I'm sure we've had our chances.  We're (artificially) at the cap floor and that's where Terry, and thus Kevyn, want us to be.  "Blocking development" is just another term for being cheap.  There's always room for a good player or prime assets if you want to pay a few more million a year, but that's not in the cards when a franchise is trying to run as cheaply as possible.  The state of this franchise is ownership's fault, but we're going to continue to pay for those ownership mistakes, by throwing more seasons away under the guise of "development".

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, sweetlou said:

If Monahan had Buffalo on NT list then Buffalo has other issues it needs to deal with.

How to attract players to play in Buffalo? 

Most players that have Sabres on NTL did so as they signed contracts as we were under Kreuger and Housley.  I have to believe they took some big steps in turning that ship last year.  I wonder if how many signings THIS off-season included them on NTL??

3 minutes ago, Cage said:

Most players that have Sabres on NTL did so as they signed contracts as we were under Kreuger and Housley.  I have to believe they took some big steps in turning that ship last year.  I wonder if how many signings THIS off-season included them on NTL??

A no trade list is not a static list that is decided and set at the beginning of a contract and remains the same through the whole contract.

I think it can vary a bit from contract to contract, but I believe that the standard practice is for the player to submit an updated version of their NT list each offseason.

Also, I see no real reason to be surprised that the Sabres might be on any players no trade list.  It’s been how many years without playoffs?

• Like (+1) 2

Id probably have done it, but I'm not upset he did it.

2 years left on his deal, should be no problem as far as the cap.  Sabres won't be close to needing that room until his deal is done.

But then the other side of it is, does he fit in with this team? and whos spot does he take away.  I don't think he improves the team on the ice and maybe takes a spot away from someone else.  

Right now, he is a 10-15 goal, 35-40 point guy.  I'm not quite sure how he has fallen from what he was, but I wouldn't count on him getting back to his old level.

22 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Id probably have done it, but I'm not upset he did it.

2 years left on his deal, should be no problem as far as the cap.  Sabres won't be close to needing that room until his deal is done.

But then the other side of it is, does he fit in with this team? and whos spot does he take away.  I don't think he improves the team on the ice and maybe takes a spot away from someone else.  

Right now, he is a 10-15 goal, 35-40 point guy.  I'm not quite sure how he has fallen from what he was, but I wouldn't count on him getting back to his old level.

1 year left on his deal.  Can't see any downside to having made the deal were he willing to come to Buffalo and were Treliving willing to work w/ Adams.

Monahan is bad, he has to play for his next contract though, He needs a bottom team that can give him top 6 minutes.

But he is so bad he can't get that in buffalo, smart move to go to tank team with room for him at 2C.

edit : nevermind they have suzuki and dach as top 6 centers.   

Edited by Huckleberry

42 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Monahan is bad, he has to play for his next contract though, He needs a bottom team that can give him top 6 minutes.

But he is so bad he can't get that in buffalo, smart move to go to tank team with room for him at 2C.

edit : nevermind they have suzuki and dach as top 6 centers.   

Dach, while talented, has not been any good.  Monahan and Dach will compete for favorable middle 6 mins.  

2 hours ago, Thwomp! said:

We're not doing deals like these.  I'm sure we've had our chances.  We're (artificially) at the cap floor and that's where Terry, and thus Kevyn, want us to be.  "Blocking development" is just another term for being cheap.  There's always room for a good player or prime assets if you want to pay a few more million a year, but that's not in the cards when a franchise is trying to run as cheaply as possible.  The state of this franchise is ownership's fault, but we're going to continue to pay for those ownership mistakes, by throwing more seasons away under the guise of "development".

For a team trying to be cheap, they sure have spent a lot of money on analytics and international scouting. If Kevyn thought spending money would make this team better long term, I have no reason to believe he doesn't have the go ahead to try and make that move. They are running cheap right now because of how they view their young talent and the cap projections they are making for 2023 and 2024. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Cozenscousin said:

Maybe in a couple years we will be looking to give up a pick for someone to take on Skinner's contract.🙂

He has a NMC and his family is right over the border. I think we have that contract to the bitter end. Unless Skinner wants out, and not before.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What aggressive move has he made to build this team since the tear down? 

The tear down wasn't even finished a year ago, Eichel was still a member of the Sabres. IMO, not enough time to see if the GM is being aggressive. But this question is a little silly, because it implies that there were aggressive moves during the tear down, and your original point said since the Hall fiasco, and the majority of the tear down came after that. I also wouldn't consider getting assets with a cap dump an aggressive move to build the team, as it is committing to a long term rebuild. The Sabres wouldnt really be any better with Monahan, unless he recovers in a big way.

16 hours ago, sweetlou said:

If Monahan had Buffalo on NT list then Buffalo has other issues it needs to deal with.

How to attract players to play in Buffalo? 

If he thought the Calgary flames media was bad .. He's about to absolutely hate What he agreed to.

I honestly think he could have rebounded his career in Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalonill

41 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What aggressive move has he made to build this team since the tear down? 

My response was to Your First Post that Adams has shown zero interest in being this aggressive since He got burned in the Hall Trade. 

We have an entire thread about the Sabres having a deal in place trading 16th OA to Ottawa 7th OA and Murray with salary retention. 

The Sabres were one of the teams in on a potential JVR Deal to open cap space for Gaudreau. Fletcher balked at the asking price of Philadelphia’s First. 

They were also in on another deal for a cap dump, until another team took it for pennies on the dollar. 

So for someone who has zero interest in these types of deals, Adams is sure demonstrating a lot of interest 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

My response was to Your First Post that Adams has shown zero interest in being this aggressive since He got burned in the Hall Trade. 

We have an entire thread about the Sabres having a deal in place trading 16th OA to Ottawa 7th OA and Murray with salary retention. 

The Sabres were one of the teams in on a potential JVR Deal to open cap space for Gaudreau. Fletcher balked at the asking price of Philadelphia’s First. 

They were also in on another deal for a cap dump, until another team took it for pennies on the dollar. 

So for someone who has zero interest in these types of deals, Adams is sure demonstrating a lot of interest 

Is he?  Making phone calls to the other GM's is his a large part of his job and it's a results business and he hasn't completed any of those deals.  Since he moved on from TM's core, his acquisitions have been bargain basement.  No serious move to upgrade the goaltending. Maybe the Comrie will work out, but that is far from a sure thing.  The defense, like the goaltending, needed to be upgraded and the best he brought in was a Toronto cast off, who would be a 5/6 on a good team.  That is the definition of not being aggressive.  

Don't get me wrong, I like the direction the team is heading.  I agree with the general movement to the kids, but he hasn't really given the kids the proper support in goal or on defense to aid in their development.  

17 hours ago, Thorny said:

Location, location, location.

Players care about the location that pays the most, the location where they’ll win the most, and the location they like best for more subjective reasons like lifestyle and weather/family concerns. 

The Sabres will be at a disadvantage relative to most teams when it comes to point 3, but the first two points are in their control. We need to draft and develop well to win regardless in this league. If we do that well enough, and keep some paint dry for when we need it, IMO we’ll have enough of the “good team” quota filled that the gap we look to fill WITH those players we try to attract from the outside will be small enough that lacking on point 3 won’t stop our strong standing in location points 1 and 2 from being enough to facilitate the additions we need. 

Sorry if that’s confusing but it’s basically the same as the drafting idea where the easiest way to ensure your prospects succeed is managing what is asked of them to achieve success. If they are stepping into a solid environment, less will be asked of them and they’ll more likely succeed. 

It’ll be easier to attract players when we need them less. Right now we are needy. An unappealing stench.

- - -

There will always be free agent value out there for the Sabres, when the time is right. It’s all about the squeezing and pressurizing, manipulating of the toothpaste tube through smart team building and then winning - forcing what we need out of that market while at the same time *making* it attainable. Adams can squeeze value out of that market by tightening the screws where he can control. 

Look at the Bills...for so long nobody wanted to play for them, now teams are having their agents reach out to them letting them know their clients want to come paly there with Josh Allen

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Look at the Bills...for so long nobody wanted to play for them, now teams are having their agents reach out to them letting them know their clients want to come paly there with Josh Allen

You got through that mess of words? You deserve a trophy. 

I agree though, I don’t worry much about the attracting players thing, feel like it’ll take care of itself if we control what’s in our ability to control. 

Montreal has the kind of creative thinking the Sabres seem to lack. OR, they just don't want to spend money. 

Of course I'd have made this deal. It's a deal that makes you better in exchange for $, as a fan what's not to like? The chemistry argument is a moot point imo. What would it disrupt? Eakin's out Monahan's in, and you deal him at the deadline (as I'd guess Montreal will unless they love him there). Assets for cash, but that's not the Sabres way. 

12 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Montreal has the kind of creative thinking the Sabres seem to lack. OR, they just don't want to spend money. 

Of course I'd have made this deal. It's a deal that makes you better in exchange for $, as a fan what's not to like? The chemistry argument is a moot point imo. What would it disrupt? Eakin's out Monahan's in, and you deal him at the deadline (as I'd guess Montreal will unless they love him there). Assets for cash, but that's not the Sabres way. 

Guess Will Butcher and Ben Bishop are figments of my imagination then. 

Guess the Matt Murray trade that he shitcanned was a dream I had. 

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Is he?  Making phone calls to the other GM's is his a large part of his job and it's a results business and he hasn't completed any of those deals.  Since he moved on from TM's core, his acquisitions have been bargain basement.  No serious move to upgrade the goaltending. Maybe the Comrie will work out, but that is far from a sure thing.  The defense, like the goaltending, needed to be upgraded and the best he brought in was a Toronto cast off, who would be a 5/6 on a good team.  That is the definition of not being aggressive.  

Don't get me wrong, I like the direction the team is heading.  I agree with the general movement to the kids, but he hasn't really given the kids the proper support in goal or on defense to aid in their development.  

Which ufas would you have signed? The scenario is they want to be in Buffalo and would have signed their exact ufa deal. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.