Sean Monahan and 2025 1st traded to Montreal for nothing, do you wish the Sabres did it?

LGR4GM

2 hours ago, Curt said:

I was responding to you saying that the you wish the Sabres would be creative enough to make a trade like the Monahan trade where they acquire assets for cap space.

I was presenting an example of something very similar that the Sabres, and trade partner, agreed to, but was vetoed by the player.  I presented this as evidence that Adams is not against doing such things.

In this particular example, yes, it did not happen because the player did not want to be in Buffalo. I’m sure Adams, and the Pierre Dorian were aware on the 10 team NTC, otherwise they would not have wasted their time negotiating a deal.  Not sure on the exact mechanics of Murray’s particular NTC, or if the Sens were trying to get him to waive it, or what was going on with that.

Well I'm only interested in things that actually happen. Not things that could have or might have but didn't. That's the one point of contention. 

The second is the idea that a cap dump (Bishop) and a 7th rounder is somehow the same thing as the Monahan and a 1st deal. It's like saying Cody Eakin and Ryan O'Reilly are the same. They're both hockey players. They both play center. No difference. 

• dislike 1

2 hours ago, Curt said:

Also, not every response to me needs to be accompanied by a “witty” jab.  You and LGR can trade insults back and forth if you like, but I don’t expect to be talked down to as well just because I’m discussing the same topic.

If you were talking to me in person I doubt you would take on this “tone”.

You are correct here. You're much more reasonable and civil than Liger and definitely less petty. It all gets kind of lumped together here on the internet and I don't always take enough time to differentiate between people (talking about the same topic) clearly. Apologies for that. I will try to remember to keep things separate. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well I'm only interested in things that actually happen. Not things that could have or might have but didn't. That's the one point of contention. 

The second is the idea that a cap dump (Bishop) and a 7th rounder is somehow the same thing as the Monahan and a 1st deal. It's like saying Cody Eakin and Ryan O'Reilly are the same. They're both hockey players. They both play center. No difference. 

Arguments no one is having. 

Literally asked your 3 times what c, d, and g you wanted from free agency and you turned it personal for no reason. I blocked you once and honestly, I should have kept it that way. No reason to engage, you'll just twist what I said and move the goalposts. Cheers, good evening. 

You constantly act the victim when you turn things personal, it's predictable. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Yeah, sure, I can appreciate the mindset of only caring about stuff that actually happens.

I guess I was just making a point with regards to the mindset of Adams and what sort of things he’s trying to do.

Though I’d also say that it’s pretty clear that the Sabres don’t want spend TOO much money on player salary this season.

Ive nothing to say about the second point.  I didn’t and wouldn’t say that.

• Agree 1

I think adams is looking at the cap in the long run.   

Dahlin if he explodes next year will need 9 mill.
Thompson might ask 7 mill.

Do we really want to add expensive UFA's on top of that ?  We are looking at a young team that will need a lot of new deals in the next 2 years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Meh. 

1) Nobody knows how effective he's going to be with all of the injuries and his numbers have been falling off of a cliff.

2) Assuming he stays healthy, I'd rather see the 16-18 minutes a game go to somebody that's a part of the future.

3) Unknown effects to the chemistry/culture KA/Granato are trying to build.

4) I believe we were on his no-trade list, so the point is probably moot.

• Like (+1) 2

Adams' only "big" salary moves have been to get to the cap floor.  The bottom line is he's not spending more than that.  We didn't weaponize cap space last offseason, last trade deadline, and this offseason.  We have plenty of room to take on short term salary cap dumps for assets without having any impact on the future salary cap, but it's obvious that's not desired by ownership/management.  If you're buying LTIR contracts for pennies on the dollar to hit the cap floor, you're not spending any more money than you have to.  That was my original point and that's what reality continues to be.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.