No announcement on Ryan Johnson??

Cage

25 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Portillo as well. The media didn’t pursue the issue very well with him.

He clearly answered the question he was asked, he just wasn’t asked the right question.

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/erik-portillo-71322/t-277437090/c-12187486

The unease with both of them when the subject turned to signing with Buffalo was obvious.  I thought Johnson even had a very noticeable change in his voice.  His voice and body language tells me he’s simply not going to play here.

After seeing these I don’t know how anyone could be optimistic about them signing with Buffalo.

Last ditch recruitment pitch fail.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Portillo as well. The media didn’t pursue the issue very well with him.

He clearly answered the question he was asked, he just wasn’t asked the right question.

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/erik-portillo-71322/t-277437090/c-12187486

He said he was leaning going back... but said the end he intends to sign... not thinking about FA... that being said he left wiggle room... not sure his issues with Sabres or trying to be like an NBA player and go where he wants... also the question for Sabres is how good is this kid... and does he feel ready for NHL... lotta things could be going thru his head... wants to get his degree... promised Mom??  He wasnt very clear on what might be holding him back.

I will say Portillo much more polished in front of a mike than Johnson.

Importance of school to him came across very clearly, as did his willingness to compete with Levi or anyone else.

Johnson, I thought was just plain awkward. He literally said he loves the organization and that his goal is to sign eventually, yet did so in such a manner that left people feeling it wasn’t an actual commitment.

Both these guys had an opportunity to ease the minds of fans. I thought Johnson tried, ineffectively. Portillo wasn’t forced to answer and chose not to

31 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Importance of school to him came across very clearly, as did his willingness to compete with Levi or anyone else.

Johnson, I thought was just plain awkward. He literally said he loves the organization and that his goal is to sign eventually, yet did so in such a manner that left people feeling it wasn’t an actual commitment.

Both these guys had an opportunity to ease the minds of fans. I thought Johnson tried, ineffectively. Portillo wasn’t forced to answer and chose not to

Agree, I dont know if it was nerves or immaturity or what, but Johnson didn't look or sound comfortable at all IMO.

I dunno guys. Portillo seems more polished and was much more comfortable talking about his lost equipment, while Johnson just seemed immature and uncomfortable speaking. Not a knock against him, it’s just his mental development at this stage. I do think he’s looking at this camp as an audition, like he alluded to. He could’ve easily just said he’s going back to school. Why not? 2 others already have. But, he didn’t. I think this is a hard decision for him. I personally think he needs more time to grow up and become more comfortable in his own skin, so should go back to school. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

If Johnson signed before the season, would he be an option for 3rd pairing, or do we think he would need some time in the AHL still?

Personally, I think we’ve jumped from KA asking Johnson “he needs to figure out what type of player he is” to we better give him a spot so he doesn’t jump to FA. Has he really shown a difference between then and now?

I would tell him that he would be invited to camp to compete for a spot on the team. But, that he’ll be competing against players that already have a good amount of NHL experience. We don’t need to rush him and we don’t need to bend over backwards to give him something based on a perceived threat. In this scenario, he starts in Rochester. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

On the other hand, meet Devon Levi.

Without even being asked the question, this kid leaves no doubt where he'll be signing.

Fantastic interview. Fantastic kid. Fantastic goalie.

This made my week!

Contrast that with Johnson and Portillo interviews, night and day. It doesn’t mean they won’t sign but this guy was full of positive energy. Just love him!

He loves what KA is doing and wants to be a part of it.

I love that he acknowledged his goalie coaches, personal trainer and training partners. He gave kudos to Portillo for playing hard without his gear and pushing him competitively.

He was also positive about the Olympic experience even though he didn’t play.

I can’t wait for his signature on a contract.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

18 hours ago, Weave said:

The unease with both of them when the subject turned to signing with Buffalo was obvious.  I thought Johnson even had a very noticeable change in his voice.  His voice and body language tells me he’s simply not going to play here.

After seeing these I don’t know how anyone could be optimistic about them signing with Buffalo.

Last ditch recruitment pitch fail.

17 hours ago, dudacek said:

So I just watched these 2 videos.  My takeaway is that Johnson likes and is comfortable with the Sabres organization (as he is with his college team) and is less inclined than Portillo is to step into the great unknown of free agency and a new team, and thus that Johnson is more likely than not to return to college and then sign with the Sabres.  OTOH, Portillo, who is a year older and more well traveled than Johnson, and perhaps more serious and considered about maximizing his future than Johnson is, is definitely returning to college and will then be 50/50 to sign with the Sabres. 

So, I continue to think the most likely outcome is that the Sabres get one of them and lose one of them, and the one they get is more likely to be Johnson.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Without even being asked the question, this kid leaves no doubt where he'll be signing.

This kid is special.

If he can transition to the NHL, which should not be a problem with his attitude and approach he will be spectacular.

Handsome kid too.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

Dylan Garand, a Rangers prospect. Hmmm…

I agree that Levi had the best interview of our 3 college guys aiming to return to school.  Levi has well thought out answers, high character young man.  Great attitude.

That being said I did not hear anything bad from Ryan Johnson or Erik Portillo's interviews.  Maybe they are a bit less polished but I still have hopes for both to sign with the Sabres.  From all accounts the Development Camp is going well and they are all getting a chance to see what kind of group they can join and develop with.  

17 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

If Johnson signed before the season, would he be an option for 3rd pairing, or do we think he would need some time in the AHL still?

I would be shocked if a GM thought he was NHL ready.  He needs to go to the AHL and prove himself.

On 7/13/2022 at 9:33 PM, dudacek said:

Portillo definitely comes across as more comfortable as a public speaker, but that doesn’t mean much.  Some people just are.  Johnson has never come across as a confident interview.  I think it’s just the way he talks.

I got the impression that Johnson is genuinely conflicted.  He wants to go back to school but he likes the Sabres too.  He didn’t want to give false hope that he was signing this offseason, but he also didn’t want to make it sound like he wasn’t interested in signing eventually.  Hence the answers that sound half in half out.

16 hours ago, nfreeman said:

So I just watched these 2 videos.  My takeaway is that Johnson likes and is comfortable with the Sabres organization (as he is with his college team) and is less inclined than Portillo is to step into the great unknown of free agency and a new team, and thus that Johnson is more likely than not to return to college and then sign with the Sabres.  OTOH, Portillo, who is a year older and more well traveled than Johnson, and perhaps more serious and considered about maximizing his future than Johnson is, is definitely returning to college and will then be 50/50 to sign with the Sabres. 

So, I continue to think the most likely outcome is that the Sabres get one of them and lose one of them, and the one they get is more likely to be Johnson.

That’s my take away too.  I expect that Johnson will sign.  I really don’t know about Portillo, leaning no.

Edited by Curt

55 minutes ago, Curt said:

I got the impression that Johnson is genuinely conflicted.  He wants to go back to school but he likes the Sabres too.  He didn’t want to give false hope that he was signing this offseason, but he also didn’t want to make it sound like he wasn’t interested in signing eventually.  Hence the answers that sound half in half out.

That’s how I read it too. His conflict appears to be more about signing now or later, rather than here or elsewhere.

• Loves Minny wants go back and win a title
  • NHL is his dream and the opportunity to fulfill it is right there.
  • Genuinely looking at camp to push him one way or the other.
  • Doesnt like conflict, feels the pressure from the media to sign
  • Not a gifted public speaker

We see the uncertainty and insecurity and conclude that it’s about Buffalo when it may really be about the when, rather than the where. “I love Buffalo, I plan on signing eventually” is either an outright lie or simply the truth. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt until they prove they deserve otherwise.

Portillo responded by talking about having to prove himself in Michigan. To who? Why? Buffalo has already offered him a contract.

Unlike Johnson, he seems otherwise very self-assured and aware of his path. Unlike Johnson, he did not even try to address his future with the Sabres.

I tend to think he hasn’t closed the door on Buffalo, but his approach to his future will be purely businesslike. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

15 hours ago, dudacek said:

That’s how I read it too. His conflict appears to be more about signing now or later, rather than here or elsewhere.

We see the uncertainty and insecurity and conclude that it’s about Buffalo when it may really be about the when, rather than the where. “I love Buffalo, I plan on signing eventually” is either an outright lie or simply the truth. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt until they prove they deserve otherwise.

Portillo responded by talking about having to prove himself in Michigan. To who? Why? Buffalo has already offered him a contract.

Unlike Johnson, he seems otherwise very self-assured and aware of his path. Unlike Johnson, he did not even try to address his future with the Sabres.

I tend to think he hasn’t closed the door on Buffalo, but his approach to his future will be purely businesslike. 

After listening to Levi talk about Adams and listen to how the other prospects are excited about the future of the organization, I take solace in the fact that if He and Portillo sign elsewhere, it won’t be because the organization is toxic or has a crappy future. It will be because they chose a different path 

• Agree 3

On 7/14/2022 at 10:41 AM, kas23 said:

Personally, I think we’ve jumped from KA asking Johnson “he needs to figure out what type of player he is” to we better give him a spot so he doesn’t jump to FA. Has he really shown a difference between then and now?

I would tell him that he would be invited to camp to compete for a spot on the team. But, that he’ll be competing against players that already have a good amount of NHL experience. We don’t need to rush him and we don’t need to bend over backwards to give him something based on a perceived threat. In this scenario, he starts in Rochester. 

I don't believe KA would gift anyone a spot. His saying continues to be "I want players who want to be Sabres, he talks continuously in the Embedded videos about character/culture in players so I doubt he's bending over backwards for Johnson. Portillo and Levi could be a different story since we're desperate for goaltending right now but I still doubt he is panicking.

On 7/15/2022 at 8:54 AM, dudacek said:

Johnson is a Californian what did you expect?

• dislike 1

LIked Levi's interview a lot.  Regardless of how well-spoken Johnson and Portillo are, both are smart enough to not say anything negative at this time regardless of their true intentions (especially if they prefer free agency).  Reporters tried to get something, but neither are putting their cards on the table until they're ready to.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.