No announcement on Ryan Johnson??

Cage

17 minutes ago, SDS said:

I sensed a little bit hesitation in his answer. 

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Adams mentioned Johnson likes the returning team at Minnesota and the playing time He will get. 

That’s interesting because He would be a Top Pairing D in Rochester playing in all situations. 

Definitely got the "not really thrilled w/ this direction, but it is what it is" vibe from his answer.  No slight smile anywhere in that answer.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

If He doesn’t sign and is not traded, the Sabres would get a compensatory pick in the 2024 NHL Draft in this case it would be the 63rd Overall Pick. 

Anyone know what Brink, Pinto, Kaliyev, Hoglander, or Robertson are doing? Asking for a friend. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 2

On 4/20/2022 at 3:36 PM, pi2000 said:

As per Craig he's still mulling his options, but is leaning towards going back to school.

I'll see Craig again next Monday, but the I last time I asked him about Ryan I did not get the sense he would be unwilling to sign with Buffalo... in fact, fwiw, he had some good things to say about the organization since KA took over.    

I took the opportunity to pump KA's tires a bit since I played with him back in the day.

Edited by pi2000
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I'll see Craig again next Monday, but the I last time I asked him about Ryan I did not get the sense he would be unwilling to sign with Buffalo... in fact, fwiw, he had some good things to say about the organization since KA took over.    

I took the opportunity to pump KA's tires a bit since I played with him back in the day.

Minnesota does have a good shot at the National Championship next year and chartered jets to away games beat AHL Buses. 

Burning a year off His ELC next spring, probably doesn’t make much of a difference as it would be 3 year ELC with Buffalo and He can sign a two year ELC with anyone on 8/15/23. 

Thanks as always for the info 

• Like (+1) 1

I would assume that there will be some changes to the way drafting college players works in the next CBA. When the last CBA was drafted a college player was not as highly prized. Times have changed and there are enough first rounders playing college that after you're done playing college losing that first rounder so easily to FA is now becoming front and center to GMs. 

28 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

I would assume that there will be some changes to the way drafting college players works in the next CBA. When the last CBA was drafted a college player was not as highly prized. Times have changed and there are enough first rounders playing college that after you're done playing college losing that first rounder so easily to FA is now becoming front and center to GMs. 

What do you expect to see as far as changes are concerned?

Teams currently get to hold a player's rights for 2 more years than if they were in the CHL.

How many NCAA players actually play out their full 4 years of eligibility w/out signing w/ the NHL club that drafted them?  (Legit Q.  It seems to only be 1-2 guys any given year, is it actually a bigger problem than that, or is even that overstating it?)

Certainly teams would like to lock up college players for even longer, but what are they going to give up to the NHLPA to get them to sign off on it?

The 4 years of holding a player's rights vs 2 years already seems like a reasonable compromise.  Now that the NCAA allows players to receive compensation for their images & endorsements, might there be some "wiggle room" from the NCAA to allow players to sign w/ a team while still maintaining college eligibility?  Perhaps a player could receive a signing bonus, the bulk of which gets escrowed until the player leaves school?

Don't know the answer.  But it seems to be a fairly complex issue. 

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

What do you expect to see as far as changes are concerned?

Teams currently get to hold a player's rights for 2 more years than if they were in the CHL.

How many NCAA players actually play out their full 4 years of eligibility w/out signing w/ the NHL club that drafted them?  (Legit Q.  It seems to only be 1-2 guys any given year, is it actually a bigger problem than that, or is even that overstating it?)

Certainly teams would like to lock up college players for even longer, but what are they going to give up to the NHLPA to get them to sign off on it?

The 4 years of holding a player's rights vs 2 years already seems like a reasonable compromise.  Now that the NCAA allows players to receive compensation for their images & endorsements, might there be some "wiggle room" from the NCAA to allow players to sign w/ a team while still maintaining college eligibility?  Perhaps a player could receive a signing bonus, the bulk of which gets escrowed until the player leaves school?

Don't know the answer.  But it seems to be a fairly complex issue. 

My initial thought is move the UFA date out another 6 months. Instead of Aug 15th of their 4th year, make it February of the following year. Unlike with all the other players in programs that get drafted college kids get a free ride. A premier college program you are treated exceptionally well. They have no financial needs or even wants. Housing, food, training facilities, tutors, transportation all first class. Why leave?  Get your degree, wait 45 days past the opening of FA and see what offers come in.

The other option is don't use any high draft picks on college kids. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, woods-racer said:

My initial thought is move the UFA date out another 6 months. Instead of Aug 15th of their 4th year, make it February of the following year. Unlike with all the other players in programs that get drafted college kids get a free ride. A premier college program you are treated exceptionally well. They have no financial needs or even wants. Housing, food, training facilities, tutors, transportation all first class. Why leave?  Get your degree, wait 45 days past the opening of FA and see what offers come in.

The other option is don't use any high draft picks on college kids. 

Interesting.  Would expect the NHLPA to not go along w/ it as it's forcing players that could currently be eligible for UFA in the summer before a season to now wait until a whole bunch of teams are in cap trouble to try to sign w/ one & also because it's keeping a player that under the current system could be earning a living in the NHL to have to wait nearly 5 months to begin being gainfully employed.

But it is thinking outside the box.  👍

And, your final statemenstatement your remedy likely won't ever happen.  GM's can already protect themselves from this problem by not drafting NCAA bound guys in the late 1st or 2nd round.

🍺

56 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Interesting.  Would expect the NHLPA to not go along w/ it as it's forcing players that could currently be eligible for UFA in the summer before a season to now wait until a whole bunch of teams are in cap trouble to try to sign w/ one & also because it's keeping a player that under the current system could be earning a living in the NHL to have to wait nearly 5 months to begin being gainfully employed.

But it is thinking outside the box.  👍

And, your final statemenstatement your remedy likely won't ever happen.  GM's can already protect themselves from this problem by not drafting NCAA bound guys in the late 1st or 2nd round.

🍺

Allowing drafted NCAA Players to sign Letters of Intent with their respective NHL Clubs and allowing a NHL Team Sponsors to have NIL Agreements might be the pathway forward. That way a player can remain in College as long as they desire and the team doesn’t lose them to UFA 

• Like (+1) 6

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

The idea that making money any way related to your chosen field should render you ineligible to explore that field at a university is patently ridiculous.

Cant believe it continues.

I am not well versed on the specifics but a player on a full ride at school is an “amateur” while a player in the CHL getting a small stipend is a “pro”.

This reminds me of how the USSR teams of the 70’s and 80’s were considered amateurs for the purpose of playing in the Olympics. They weren’t rich but were drawing a wage as members of the Red Army. They were paid for their military service even though their only drills were hockey related.

• Like (+1) 1

Interesting, I figured there was a "qualifying offer" style process for CHL Draftees, but I can't find info on that. I'd think there would be more players that don't sign with a team in hopes to get picked up by a team in a better situation. Entirely possible there's a quid-pro-quo that marginal players aren't willing to risk the ire of the league, and good players will get signed early enough that they won't wait it out.

I feel like it'd be "fair" to make a bit more of a time penalty for NCAA players that won't sign with their NHL team like the 6mo suggestion above, but I could see that hitting NCAA players that the team will not sign for some reason. I'm not sure that'd come up too often, if you're even borderline NHL your drafting team would probably sign you for the AHL anyway.

In his WGR Interview today Adams said he made it clear to Ryan Johnson that there is a spot for him, regardless of being a LHD. “When he is ready to be on our team he will be on our team.”

Says Donnie’s system doesn’t have an emphasis on sticking with your side. Players shift a lot and will continue to.

Semi-related, 2nd consecutive interview where he talked about goaltending, gushed about Levi, and did not mention Portillo.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, dudacek said:

In his WGR Interview today Adams said he made it clear to Ryan Johnson that there is a spot for him, regardless of being a LHD. “When he is ready to be on our team he will be on our team.”

Says Donnie’s system doesn’t have an emphasis on sticking with your side. Players shift a lot and will continue to.

Semi-related, 2nd consecutive interview where he talked about goaltending, gushed about Levi, and did not mention Portillo.

I put this in the goalie thread, but the Maintenance Day Podcast mentioned when Players are not mentioned by Adams they usually are not part of the future of the club. 

Lysowski also mentioned that Chicago really likes Portillo and Seattle as another possibility, as neither have goaltending prospects in their pipeline. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 5/3/2022 at 2:21 PM, Buffalonill said:

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9529887c93a8731c9dc0

What a waste of a first rounder

Oh I dunno, I might want a do-over on the pick based on what the Sabres needs are.  Maybe a compensatory pick by Kevyn instead of a holdover Botterill pick is okay.

On 5/3/2022 at 4:56 PM, Taro T said:

Would expect the NHLPA to not go along w/ it as it's forcing players that could currently be eligible for UFA in the summer before a season to now wait until a whole bunch of teams are in cap trouble to try to sign w/ one & also because it's keeping a player that under the current system could be earning a living in the NHL to have to wait nearly 5 months to begin being gainfully employed.

It sounds fair to me.  They would still be perfectly eligible to sign in the summer and earn a living.... with the team that drafted you.  If you were that upset about the team that drafted you and wanted to go elsewhere, half a season's salary is a fair price to pay imo.

And if they're done with college, let them get a "real job" for six months with that degree they just earned.

On 5/4/2022 at 10:02 AM, MattPie said:

I feel like it'd be "fair" to make a bit more of a time penalty for NCAA players that won't sign with their NHL team like the 6mo suggestion above, but I could see that hitting NCAA players that the team will not sign for some reason. I'm not sure that'd come up too often, if you're even borderline NHL your drafting team would probably sign you for the AHL anyway.

Perhaps the 6 month period is an "option" the NHL team could buy:  If you really want a player (like Johnson), the drafting team can "buy" an extension to his rights for, say, $24k (to be paid as $4k monthly to the player) or whatever number is reasonable.  If the team doesn't buy the optional 6 months, the player is free to sign with another team in the summer.  If the player signs with the drafting team during the 6 month period, the $24k rights stipend ends and his professional contract kicks in (i.e. he can keep the prorated part of the 6 months at $4k per month).

Edited by Doohickie

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.