No announcement on Ryan Johnson??

Cage

9 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

So we could potentially lose Levi, Portillo and Johnson? That's brutal.

In the case of Levi, that is two years away.  I have all the confidence in the world that Levi will sign next offseason.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Doohickie said:

It sounds fair to me.  They would still be perfectly eligible to sign in the summer and earn a living.... with the team that drafted you.  If you were that upset about the team that drafted you and wanted to go elsewhere, half a season's salary is a fair price to pay imo.

And if they're done with college, let them get a "real job" for six months with that degree they just earned.

You mean the FOLLOWING summer after the waiting period to begin FA starts in February as per the proposal the post you referred to was referencing?

Again, no way the NHLPA would go along w/ that IMHO.

47 minutes ago, Taro T said:

You mean the FOLLOWING summer after the waiting period to begin FA starts in February as per the proposal the post you referred to was referencing?

Again, no way the NHLPA would go along w/ that IMHO.

No.  IN THE SUMMER.  With the team that drafted them.

7 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

No.  IN THE SUMMER.  With the team that drafted them.

(OK, was misreading what you'd written, but you are overlooking the fact that the league would have to give the NHLPA something to gain that concession from them.)

And, again, there is no friggin' way the NHLPA is going to let a team hold the draft rights to a player for more than 4 years unless the NHL gives them something of value back.  What are you proposing the league give to the players to "solve" this problem that isn't actually a problem for all but at most a handful of players?

16 minutes ago, Taro T said:

(OK, was misreading what you'd written, but you are overlooking the fact that the league would have to give the NHLPA something to gain that concession from them.)

And, again, there is no friggin' way the NHLPA is going to let a team hold the draft rights to a player for more than 4 years unless the NHL gives them something of value back.  What are you proposing the league give to the players to "solve" this problem that isn't actually a problem for all but at most a handful of players?

The issue is why the NHLPA is even involved with them. They are amateur players and have never signed or played with any professional team, NHL or otherwise. 

7 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Having listened to the interview with KA on WGR from yesterday, I think he thinks he’s getting Levi to sign next summer, thinks he has a good shot at Ryan Johnson (but not a lock) and is not optimistic about Portillo.  

Agreed. I think Portillo gets dealt in or around the draft.

Yes, I do think teams will give something up.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

It would start with medical autonomy for players, so it will never happen 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Agreed. I think Portillo gets dealt in or around the draft.

Yes, I do think teams will give something up.

Looking at You Chicago and Seattle 

• 2 months later...

So Craig Johnson had been working for the LA Kings since 2019.

Mattias Samuelsson’s dad Kjell has been working for Philly since 2000. Mule went to college and signed with the Sabres.

Casey Fitzgerald’s dad Tom has been with the Devils since 2016, and GM since 2019. Casey played college for 4 full years and was only a couple months away from UFA status and he still signed with the Sabres.

Why do people think Craig Johnson getting a new job has anything to do with whether Ryan re-signs?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 5/10/2022 at 5:43 AM, Curt said:

In the case of Levi, that is two years away.  I have all the confidence in the world that Levi will sign next offseason.

I think so too. Him and Power are friends are they not? Only thing keeping him away would be if Power (and other players he knows) tell him to stay away for his own good, which seems unlikely. 

Portillo however, I think the high draft of the goalie tells us KA is not optimistic. 

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Why?  It will be years until Leinonen is NHL ready.

My thinking here is if he believes he has UPL, Levi AND Portillo in the system (or coming soon to be exact) then there would be no reason to guarantee getting the goalie that really should have been drafted in the 3rd round not the 2nd. By drafting him where they did they jumped any potential queue there was (Seattle?) but it was early for that pick. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.