No announcement on Ryan Johnson??

Cage

I haven't followed this thread that closely, nor have I seen Johnson play outside the World Juniors. That said, I think it could be very possible the Sabres aren't all that interested in him and that's why he hasn't signed.

He's not big enough to be a shutdown style D, and his numbers aren't good enough to be a point scoring D. Realistically, unless he makes a big jump next year in either size or production, he's on an AHL career trajectory.

4 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I haven't followed this thread that closely, nor have I seen Johnson play outside the World Juniors. That said, I think it could be very possible the Sabres aren't all that interested in him and that's why he hasn't signed.

He's not big enough to be a shutdown style D, and his numbers aren't good enough to be a point scoring D. Realistically, unless he makes a big jump next year in either size or production, he's on an AHL career trajectory.

Except Adams has said they are still interested in him.  They just aren't dead set that he absolutely must be in Ra-cha-cha next year & they've acknowledged that it's his decision as to where he plays next year.  

Considering Johnson still hasn't officially said where he'll be next year, expect there's a lot more interest in being in this organization than people fear he has.

• Like (+1) 2

I would be very surprised if Johnson does not become a Jokiharju-level defenceman who leans to the defensive side of the game.

From the very limited information we have, I think Johnson entered the year fully intending to sign with the Sabres when the Minnesota season was over. I suspect that the end of Minnesota's season now has him reconsidering whether he should go back and give a national title another try.

I don't think his current status has anything at all to do with a desire to get to free agency. I suspect as things stand right now he still intends to sign with the Sabres. Things could evolve over the next year to change that.

Bottom line is I know very little about where his head is and why, and it doesn't seem like anyone else does either.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Except Adams has said they are still interested in him. 

Do you think he'd say anything else but that he's interested in him? When asked about a prospect, especially a first rounder, have you ever say a GM say we don't want him?

I look at Johnson like a taller, less productive Bryson. We don't really need him.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Do you think he'd say anything else but that he's interested in him? When asked about a prospect, especially a first rounder, have you ever say a GM say we don't want him?

I look at Johnson like a taller, less productive Bryson. We don't really need him.

You are really undervaluing Johnson, and I like Bryson.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thanks (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Well, considering my notes of what he actually said weren't in front of me, figured the correct way to state it was simply that he's said he's interested in him.  He was more effusive, but didn't want to exaggerate it.

Didn't watch much of Minnesota's games this year, but in the few that were watched, he seemed like legit/good 2nd pairing could be the ceiling for him.  Which places his ceiling above Bryson's which seems to be injury fill-in 2nd pairing.

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

You are really undervaluing Johnson, and I like Bryson.

In their 3rd NCAA seasons, Johnson was under .500 ppg, while Bryson was .667 ppg. 

If he was a big shut down guy, .500 would be ok. For what little I've seen of him, his upside is his offence so I'd want to see better before putting him anywhere near a winning lineup.

Edited by JoeSchmoe

32 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

In their 3rd NCAA seasons, Johnson was under .500 ppg, while Bryson was .667 ppg. 

If he was a big shut down guy, .500 would be ok. For what little I've seen of him, his upside is his offence so I'd want to see better before putting him anywhere near a winning lineup.

Ppg might be just a shade better than plus/minus when it comes to evaluating him.

31 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Johnson's upside has never been offence.

His strengths are defending the rush, breaking the forecheck and exiting the defensive zone. He rarely causes trouble, and is good at getting you out of it.

• Like (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

It beats "he was drafted 31st overall", as an evaluation point.

Not by much.

Anyway, he’s top four potential by most accounts. He may end up being swapped out for a RHD , might be Buffalo’s or somebody’s third pairing guy, no one really knows but the people whose opinion I trust most on the matter consider him a top prospect and I guarantee you that if Buffalo offered him or Bryson, the offers for Johnson would be much higher.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

Anyway, he’s top four potential by most accounts.

Maybe I'm wrong because I haven't watched the guy outside of the juniors, but other than his draft position, what accounts have him as a top 4?

I know points aren't the be all - end all, but my thinking is a 3rd year NCAA kid with a NHL top 4 skillset should by default be able to skate amongst NCAA kids well enough to score at much better than .500ppg.

Edited by JoeSchmoe

28 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Maybe I'm wrong because I haven't watched the guy outside of the juniors, but other than his draft position, what accounts have him as a top 4?

I know points aren't the be all - end all, but my thinking is a 3rd year NCAA kid with a NHL top 4 skillset should by default be able to skate amongst NCAA kids well enough to score at much better than .500ppg.

Matthias Samuelsson was picked 32 and put up 14 points in 30 games.

K’Andre Miller had 18 in 36.

I really think you have the wrong impression of the role Johnson plays.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Matthias Samuelsson was picked 32 and put up 14 points in 30 games.

K’Andre Miller had 18 in 36.

I really think you have the wrong impression of the role Johnson plays.

Mule only played two years of NCAA and he's massive. 

K'Andre also only played 2 NCAA seasons and is 6'4 210lb.

5 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Mule only played two years of NCAA and he's massive. 

K'Andre also only played 2 NCAA seasons and is 6'4 210lb.

Johnson put up similar points in his 2nd year to both of those guys.

Your point was that a guy who’s going to be top 4 should get more than .5 points per game in college.

So now it’s “unless he’s big?”

Nik Hjalmarsson wasn’t big and tough, and also never scored more than 26 points in a season. But he played on the 1st pair of a Stanley Cup winner. Hank Tallinder never hurt a fly, but was the best defenceman on the last great Sabres team.

They are examples of poised, reliable top 4 defencemen who didn’t score, or punish, but helped their teams win by defending with their feet and their brain.

Those who like Johnson think he can play that type of role.

The amount of points he’s putting up in college aren’t really relevant. He’s not going to succeed or fail in the NHL as a point producer.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Johnson put up similar points in his 2nd year to both of those guys.

Your point was that a guy who’s going to be top 4 should get more than .5 points per game in college.

So now it’s “unless he’s big?”

Nik Hjalmarsson wasn’t big and tough, and also never scored more than 26 points in a season. But he played on the 1st pair of a Stanley Cup winner. Hank Tallinder never hurt a fly, but was the best defenceman on the last great Sabres team.

They are examples of poised, reliable top 4 defencemen who didn’t score, or punish, but helped their teams win by defending with their feet and their brain.

Those who like Johnson think he can play that type of role.

The amount of points he’s putting up in college aren’t really relevant. He’s not going to succeed or fail in the NHL as a point producer.

I know how much you love +/- but he was the 2nd worst on his team amongst D that played in the lineup regularly.

I've said this before about Ryan Johnson but I think the fans thoughts that there's no spot on the roster (or in the next couple of years) are short sighted.  He's a top Sabres prospect that will need to spend some time in the AHL developing.  Sign him and let him develop.  When he's ready he'll push for a NHL spot.  Who knows where we'll be at when that time comes (possibly going into the playoffs with an injury to one of our established LHD and need him).  If there's no spot on the Sabres and he's clearly ready for the NHL he becomes tradeable (with the expectation of getting some value in return).  Today I think his trade value is low (at least until he's signed to a contract).  This team needs depth and signing quality prospects that are waiver exempt are a necessity.  

Like the others Levi and Portillo I wish that he would sign this off season and start with Rochester in the fall but if not we'll have to be patient.  He'll be fine, patience.

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Adams says that Johnson is leaning towards going back but hasn't made a final decision. Adams is not worried either way. 

I sensed a little bit hesitation in his answer. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.