No announcement on Ryan Johnson??

Cage

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

IFF you NEED a goalie. 

All I'm saying is if they felt confident in UPL and felt confident they were going to sign Levi AND Portillo, then drafting a goalie there isn't high on the agenda. Need at that point was RHD (Warren) and if you were just going BPA it wasn't the goalie either. So the conclusion is it's likely Portillo is cold on signing. 

Ever hear of stocking the pipeline? He's nowhere near playing for the Sabres. He's not replacing anyone.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Brawndo said:

If Johnson is willing to attempt to play on the Right Side, which He has done at Minnesota,  there is a pathway to Him becoming a Top 4 Defenseman in two years

Running a top 4 with all left shots would be wild, and basically unprecedented as far as I know, but I’m here for it

Samuelsson - Dahlin

Power - Johnson 

Edited by Thorny

5 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

You have to put him with power then 

While he did play a lot in his 8 games with the Sabres, I don’t know if he’s ready for 82 games of first pairing minutes. I think Samuelson-Dahlin is the more likely route, with Power-Joki? as the second pairing. And if Power plays at a high level, I think having Power and Dahlin on different pairs would give us one of them on the ice for 48 minutes which would help to tilt the ice our way.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

While he did play a lot in his 8 games with the Sabres, I don’t know if he’s ready for 82 games of first pairing minutes. I think Samuelson-Dahlin is the more likely route, with Power-Joki? as the second pairing. And if Power plays at a high level, I think having Power and Dahlin on different pairs would give us one of them on the ice for 48 minutes which would help to tilt the ice our way.

All about getting to the playoffs so we can have 1 of Power and Dahlin on at...pretty much all times 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Serious question. If you were Johnson would you sign with the Sabres?  I’m not sure I would.

Looking at our depth chart of LHD

1) Dahlin (RD/LD)

2) Power

3) Samuelsson 

4) Bryson (RD/LD)

It’s possible he will probably beat Bryson out for the 3rd LHD job, but that’s most likely the ceiling in Buffalo unless the Sabres decide to play Power and Dahlin together.  

I think he’ll have better opportunities elsewhere.  I’d really like to see KA trade him for a RHD in a similar circumstance.  

I don't know but here's my thoughts about Ryan Johnson signing with us.  Looking at our depth chart I would think that he can eventually beat out Bryson (and no offence to Bryson intended).  I would really love to hear a player share his true thoughts (instead of our assumptions) about the pros and cons of signing with a team.  First he needs to sign a contract then he needs to win a job in the NHL immediately out of camp to have to worry about who he's beating out on the current roster.  It's more likely that he needs to play in the AHL for a season or part of a season before earning a spot in the NHL.  Rosters can change quickly for all kinds of reasons (injuries, salary cap, trades, etc.).  Predicting any NHL team's roster spot opening is pretty short sighted.  He should first focus on making a NHL team and then his play will determine his future.  The development camp should give him good exposure to the Sabres improved culture and talent level.  If I were him I would have confidence in my abilities and would buy into the vision and want to be a part of the team.

Same goes for Portillo in my opinion.  Have confidence in your abilities, be humble, work hard and win your spot.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Leaving Adams essentially hanging in the wind.

Guess he has to figure out how much faith he has in Johnson's proclamation about wanting to sign eventually.  Does he feel that it's likely enough that a '24 late 2nd rounder or him signing in the spring is worth more than he could get between now & the trade deadline?  Would expect he knows which direction seems best but doubt we'll know for a while.

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Leaving Adams essentially hanging in the wind.

Guess he has to figure out how much faith he has in Johnson's proclamation about wanting to sign eventually.  Does he feel that it's likely enough that a '24 late 2nd rounder or him signing in the spring is worth more than he could get between now & the trade deadline?  Would expect he knows which direction seems best but doubt we'll know for a while.

Difference between “want” to and “plan” to. 

He’s going to be a few months from essentially ufa by going back.

I think he’s gonezo

35 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I think he’s gonezo

Yup.  Can’t plan for him now, and probably not much of a market for him.

58 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I think he’s gonezo

I agree.  He shoveling BS.  If he had any interest in signing with the Sabres, it would be done by now.  There is zero advantage to returning to MN other than achieving UFA status at this point.  

14 minutes ago, Curt said:

I feel like his trade value in a vacuum isn’t much more than a late 2nd anyway.  Maybe an early 2nd at best?

Given he’s going to UFA I was thinking more along the lines of, unless Tim Murray is the GM noone is going to trade anything for his rights.

50 minutes ago, MDFan said:

I agree.  He shoveling BS.  If he had any interest in signing with the Sabres, it would be done by now.  There is zero advantage to returning to MN other than achieving UFA status at this point.  

Other than chasing a national championship with your buddies on a team that fell just short last year and is returning a lot of its core?

Never mind finishing his education, or spending time with his future wife, or any of the other things that college seniors do?

I have no idea what Ryan Johnson is thinking. I’m surprised so many others do.

33 minutes ago, Weave said:

Given he’s going to UFA I was thinking more along the lines of, unless Tim Murray is the GM noone is going to trade anything for his rights.

Happened, I think, twice this year with a similar-level prospect. Definitely a kid from the Wild to the Coyotes.

Im pretty sure it happens at least as often as “wanted” players going to free agency.

Im not going to go back and dig up the actual facts again because apparently no one remembers them anyway.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.