No announcement on Ryan Johnson??

Cage

Oh I understand that he jumped the queue.  Buy really, even if he thinks 6K, Portillo and/or Levi have a strong chance to work out, he's wise to get best goalie available every year until the Sabres have a true #1.  He might be overcompensating after last off-season's debacle, but he should be.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

My thinking here is if he believes he has UPL, Levi AND Portillo in the system (or coming soon to be exact) then there would be no reason to guarantee getting the goalie that really should have been drafted in the 3rd round not the 2nd. By drafting him where they did they jumped any potential queue there was (Seattle?) but it was early for that pick. 

So drafting Leinonen one round early is such a big deal, even though Seattle grabbed a goalie in the same round? Why aren't I hearing wails of "Reach!" with the Kraken? 

If anything it shows that Seattle was going to get a goalie so why not get first dibs? Why let the Kraken get the pick of the litter if Leinonen was the best out there?

• Like (+1) 3

On 5/10/2022 at 6:22 PM, inkman said:

Your strategy certainly lends itself to poor negotiations.  😀

Maybe KA should try asking a question and then staring for 45 minutes. 😉

Edited by MattPie
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Serious question. If you were Johnson would you sign with the Sabres?  I’m not sure I would.

Looking at our depth chart of LHD

1) Dahlin (RD/LD)

2) Power

3) Samuelsson 

4) Bryson (RD/LD)

It’s possible he will probably beat Bryson out for the 3rd LHD job, but that’s most likely the ceiling in Buffalo unless the Sabres decide to play Power and Dahlin together.  

I think he’ll have better opportunities elsewhere.  I’d really like to see KA trade him for a RHD in a similar circumstance.  

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Serious question. If you were Johnson would you sign with the Sabres?  I’m not sure I would.

Looking at our depth chart of LHD

1) Dahlin (RD/LD)

2) Power

3) Samuelsson 

4) Bryson (RD/LD)

It’s possible he will probably beat Bryson out for the 3rd LHD job, but that’s most likely the ceiling in Buffalo unless the Sabres decide to play Power and Dahlin together.  

I think he’ll have better opportunities elsewhere.  I’d really like to see KA trade him for a RHD in a similar circumstance.  

If Johnson is willing to attempt to play on the Right Side, which He has done at Minnesota,  there is a pathway to Him becoming a Top 4 Defenseman in two years

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Brawndo said:

If Johnson is willing to attempt to play on the Right Side, which He has done at Minnesota,  there is a pathway to Him becoming a Top 4 Defenseman in two years

I thought about that, but I think Joki is the better player. That would also put 4 LHD in our top 4.  Not necessarily a negative, but not a positive either.

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I thought about that, but I think Joki is the better player. That would also put 4 LHD in our top 4.  Not necessarily a negative, but not a positive either.

Obviously we cannot accurately assess who is the better player until Johnson is in the NHL, but My Concern with Joki is He has made His Defensive Partner Metrics worse including Power(although that’s a very small sample size). 

8 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

He's not playing us at all.  Whether or not he eventually signs with the Sabres, he seems to simply be following his preferred direction.  He's keeping his options open to sign with the Sabres or elsewhere.  How is he "playing us"?

He's taking his sweet ass  time Thinking if he wants to return to school.

When he knows he's going back 

Edited by Buffalonill

4 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Obviously we cannot accurately assess who is the better player until Johnson is in the NHL, but My Concern with Joki is He has made His Defensive Partner Metrics worse including Power(although that’s a very small sample size). 

That’s certainly an issue.  If it continues with the Sabres larger use of analytics Joki will be traded opening a slot for someone.  

16 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I think so too. Him and Power are friends are they not? Only thing keeping him away would be if Power (and other players he knows) tell him to stay away for his own good, which seems unlikely. 

Portillo however, I think the high draft of the goalie tells us KA is not optimistic. 

In the past ten drafts the Sabres have selected 5 goalies, the first two are no longer Sabres Property, Another can be an UFA a next Summer, The other is UPL and finally Leinonen.  It’s not enough 

The lack of a quality NHL Started on the roster shows the need to draft a goalie every year to have prospects in every stage of development from CHL/European Leagues to the ECHL to the AHL and possibly the NHL. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

In the past ten drafts the Sabres have selected 5 goalies, the first two are no longer Sabres Property, Another can be an UFA a next Summer, The other is UPL and finally Leinonen.  It’s not enough 

The lack of a quality NHL Started on the roster shows the need to draft a goalie every year to have prospects in every stage of development from CHL/European Leagues to the ECHL to the AHL and possibly the NHL. 

And if you do have NHL Quality GTing, continue drafting 1 per year (or 2/3 at minimum) as those up & comers can be traded for pieces that will help keep the rest of the crew together like SJ did for a long time.

Just now, Doohickie said:

So what?  How does that hurt the Sabres?  It doesn't.

Doesn't hurt the Sabres but it could put the Gophers in one heck of a spot; especially if Faber gets talked into bolting too.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So drafting Leinonen one round early is such a big deal, even though Seattle grabbed a goalie in the same round? Why aren't I hearing wails of "Reach!" with the Kraken? 

If anything it shows that Seattle was going to get a goalie so why not get first dibs? Why let the Kraken get the pick of the litter if Leinonen was the best out there?

IFF you NEED a goalie. 

All I'm saying is if they felt confident in UPL and felt confident they were going to sign Levi AND Portillo, then drafting a goalie there isn't high on the agenda. Need at that point was RHD (Warren) and if you were just going BPA it wasn't the goalie either. So the conclusion is it's likely Portillo is cold on signing. 

53 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I am a full on advocate of drafting a goalie every year. I've said so a number of times. That doesn't mean taking one every year in the first 3 rounds though. 

There was tons of talk on here about blocking the way for Levi if they signed a FA goalie and that contradicts your argument. I think the spot for Levi argument is silly myself (you can't have too many good goalies) and if the goalie is good it's a fine pick, but he was not BPA at that point and as I've said it seems to indicate Portillo is unlikely to sign. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I am a full on advocate of drafting a goalie every year. I've said so a number of times. That doesn't mean taking one every year in the first 3 rounds though. 

There was tons of talk on here about blocking the way for Levi if they signed a FA goalie and that contradicts your argument. I think the spot for Levi argument is silly myself (you can't have too many good goalies) and if the goalie is good it's a fine pick, but he was not BPA at that point and as I've said it seems to indicate Portillo is unlikely to sign. 

I wouldn’t have taken Leinonen there especially with the talent that was still on the board. 16 players including 6 RHD and two highly rated forwards went between picks 41 and 58 when the next goalie was selected.

I have reason to believe that there was not a complete consensus on picking Him at 41 and that the analytics staff had a higher grade on someone else. 

I love the draft, I’m just not a fan of this particular pick 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

I wouldn’t have taken Leinonen there especially with the talent that was still on the board. 16 players including 6 RHD and two highly rated forwards went between picks 41 and 58 when the next goalie was selected.

I have reason to believe that there was not a complete consensus on picking Him at 41 and that the analytics staff had a higher grade on someone else. 

I love the draft, I’m just not a fan of this particular pick 

I agree with this totally. Warren (RHD) went next pick and he's the guy I would have taken. I'd have been very happy if we got Leinonen in the 3rd, but if Seattle had taken him late 2nd I'd have been fine with the goalie they took Kokko or even one of the later ones. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.