Erik Portillo returning to Michigan Per Friedman

Brawndo

2 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

The rule should be that you are retained 2 years past your final college game. So if a player truly is gung-ho about his education then he can finish his degree without it hurting the team investing time and money into his development 

And have players start Their NHL Career at Age 24 in a league where the average career lasts Five Years?
After Their 4 Years of NCAA Eligibility are up at Age 22 are they supposed to go to Europe and Play for Two Seasons?
Good Luck with getting the NHLPA to agree with that. 

Players that decide to wait four years are willingly forgoing millions of dollars, by deciding to stay in school and to be able to choose Their Team.

Every organization spends time and resources on players that will never play in Their Organization, that is the nature of a business where you are drafting 18 and 19 year olds.

Any player who decides to go the NCAA Route and wait the full four years to sign with the team of Their Choice, is just exercising Their Right under the Collective Bargaining Agreement. 

On the flip side, Drafted Players in the NCAA who feel they are ready to turn pro after one or two years in College can be told by the Teams that have Their Draft Rights, We do not feel You are ready and We want You to stay in School. 

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

And have players start Their NHL Career at Age 24 in a league where the average career lasts Five Years?
After Their 4 Years of NCAA Eligibility are up at Age 22 are they supposed to go to Europe and Play for Two Seasons?
Good Luck with getting the NHLPA to agree with that. 

Players that decide to wait four years are willingly forgoing millions of dollars, by deciding to stay in school and to be able to choose Their Team.

Every organization spends time and resources on players that will never play in Their Organization, that is the nature of a business where you are drafting 18 and 19 year olds.

Any player who decides to go the NCAA Route and wait the full four years to sign with the team of Their Choice, is just exercising Their Right under the Collective Bargaining Agreement. 

On the flip side, Drafted Players in the NCAA who feel they are ready to turn pro after one or two years in College can be told by the Teams that have Their Draft Rights, We do not feel You are ready and We want You to stay in School. 

No they don’t have to wait 2 years to play anywhere, they would just be exclusive rights to their draft team until 2 years after their final college game. If you desire to play in the NHL and get an education; you shouldn’t also get to screw your draft team and go anywhere you want.

Also no, they should have zero right to go wherever they want barring their draft team being unwilling to sign him. There shouldn’t be a scenario in which an athlete has the opportunity to get a full ride education and pick their team in the same move.

Also with the NCAA loosening some income related things in regards to players, and a player getting a full scholarship; why wouldn’t they just stay in college? You get just about the same money from playing in the AHL as most full scholarship years equate to. Unless you are a sure NHLer, there’s little reason to depart school as you only gain from it.

Edited by thewookie1
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Let me just pose this situation 

Unlike skaters, goalies take more time and tend to spend more time in the minors.

If I’m a college goalie, why leave college? 
There are 64 starters/backups in the NHL, you might get a few fill-in starts but even then most GMs are hesitant to send up a young goalie.

As such you are most likely in the AHL, or worse, the ECHL. In both cases you make about 50k to 70k per year on your ELC.

Unless you literally have an NHL spot assured; why would you bother? You are getting college mostly if not all paid for while your there. The most likely amount of money you pass over is about 210k over 3 years but in return you get a Bachelors degree to fallback on, your draft team will likely still want you but if you wait you could even choose your destination. 

The biggest risk you take is health and your skill dropping off; both of which, few college age kids are going to be fearful of. 

I’d assume for most that College hockey is far more fun than AHL hockey in regards to the off-ice situation. And with the ongoing trend of instant-returns/pleasure being a must have; it’s hard for a Minor League professional team to compete with a college atmosphere and it’s perks.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Unlike skaters, goalies take more time and tend to spend more time in the minors.

There are 64 starters/backups in the NHL, you might get a few fill-in starts but even then most GMs are hesitant to send up a young goalie.

As such you are most likely in the AHL, or worse, the ECHL. In both cases you make about 50k to 70k per year on your ELC.

Unless you literally have an NHL spot assured; why would you bother? You are getting college mostly if not all paid for while your there. The most likely amount of money you pass over is about 210k over 3 years but in return you get a Bachelors degree to fallback on, your draft team will likely still want you but if you wait you could even choose your destination. 

The biggest risk you take is health and your skill dropping off; both of which, few college age kids are going to be fearful of. 

I’d assume for most that College hockey is far more fun than AHL hockey in regards to the off-ice situation. And with the ongoing trend of instant-returns/pleasure being a must have; it’s hard for a Minor League professional team to compete with a college atmosphere and it’s perks.

NIL contracts could make the financial difference even less.  

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

Another year of college will be good for Portillo. He hasn’t played a lot of games prior to this year.

The revelation he can bolt next year coupled with the fact he may feel threatened by Levi is worth people feeling concerned.

He had the opportunity to be handed the number one job in Rochester and be one pulled groin away from the NHL next year and didn’t take it. 

Im very curious to find out why.

He values his education. Pretty simple. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

That's not how the elc's these guys sign work. In fact I'd bet money the yearly signing bonus on the elc they sign is more than you're saying here. Jack Quinn gets 92k at the start of every year regardless of what league he's in for his signing bonus. His minor league salary is 80k a year and any callup means he gets paid at his full salary rate for that game or games. 

5 minutes ago, Radar said:

Drama queens are in abundance around here. What's the big deal with these guys staying in school?

Other than maybe going to ufa, literally nothing. Another year of college development could even be great for Portillo. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Radar said:

Drama queens are in abundance around here. What's the big deal with these guys staying in school?

There is a damn good chance he just walks away from the Sabres all together next year. He doesn't have to sign with the Sabres after August 2023 I beleive, he becomes a UFA and he basically can just pick his team. 

I understand getting an education, what I don't understand is why the drafting team takes all the risks, and receives no compensation. 

3 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

There is a damn good chance he just walks away from the Sabres all together next year. He doesn't have to sign with the Sabres after August 2023 I beleive, he becomes a UFA and he basically can just pick his team. 

I understand getting an education, what I don't understand is why the drafting team takes all the risks, and receives no compensation. 

Getting a pick at the end of the first round would certainly go a long way to alleviating fans stress over these players decisions. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

The only reason he would walk away from the Sabres is if his play tails off and/or we have someone better that he would not start in front of, in which case, who cares.

Edited by SwampD

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

The only reason he would walk away from the Sabres is if his play tails off and/or we have someone better that he would not start in front of, in which case, who cares.

I guess were gonna find out, but now we have 0 development goalies in our system worth getting excited for. We have drafted/traded for G's that we may get into our system but until they actually are we have very little...  I really don't get a warm fuzzy feeling regarding Portillo actually signing with Buffalo. If he goes public saying he intends to sign with Buffalo I'll feel better... But if I'm Portillo at this point I would become a FA and see what appeals to me before I just sign with Buffalo

16 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Bummer.

I think they have to trade him now, innit?  He’s probably not going to sign here next summer.

I agree with those who have said that they can now feel a bit freer to sign a goalie for 3 or 4 years.  

What value does he possibly have?  He’s a Ufa after college next summer correct?  If we’re freaking out because we don’t really have much control over his rights then I don’t see much value in owning his rights via trade.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

He values his education. Pretty simple. 

Has he commented? I missed it.

20 minutes ago, Derrico said:

What value does he possibly have?  He’s a Ufa after college next summer correct?  If we’re freaking out because we don’t really have much control over his rights then I don’t see much value in owning his rights via trade.

Jack McBain was in the same situation and just got traded for a 2nd.

Some people just want the worst possible outcome. It turns them on to just complain and revel in perceived hopelessness.

“He is not going to sign here, he is gone. They can not possibly trade him at all because no college player has ever been moved in the history of the game.”

Friedman mentioned a ton of teams around the league are interested in Portillo.

If anything, this is a positive. If the two kids signed and were in Rochester I guarantee we would have Anderson and UPL in Buffalo next year because “we don’t want to block the kids.”

Now Adams is going to be forced to really address the position.

This team can compete next year with a real high end NHL starter.

Put Kuemper in net with these guys and they are competing for a playoff spot.

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Getting a pick at the end of the first round would certainly go a long way to alleviating fans stress over these players decisions. 

The NHL may award a team with a compensatory draft pick if they fail to sign their 1st round draft pick. This is determined on a case by case basis. While we won’t get one for the goalies, we may get one if Johnson doesn’t sign. 

1 hour ago, Derrico said:

He has trade value right now. He won’t next year. If his reason for staying in school is because he doesn’t want to sign with the Sabres, but would immediately leave if he were on a different team, then he has trade value. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.