Erik Portillo returning to Michigan Per Friedman

Brawndo

If Portillo and the other two college prospects are where they are right now and the Sabres were the team of one year ago I would be seriously concerned. Actually resigned to the fact they would wait it out for FA or be included in a trade. Thankfully, the Sabres are a much different team. Certainly not a lock they'll join the team at some point. But if they don't, its because they had other goals, not because they wanted to avoid the Sabres.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JustOneParade said:

If Portillo and the other two college prospects are where they are right now and the Sabres were the team of one year ago I would be seriously concerned. Actually resigned to the fact they would wait it out for FA or be included in a trade. Thankfully, the Sabres are a much different team. Certainly not a lock they'll join the team at some point. But if they don't, its because they had other goals, not because they wanted to avoid the Sabres.

Especially in the case of the goalies Kevyn needs to make sure any "goalie solution" he brings in next year isn't a good or long-lasting solution.  If they don't see opportunity they will bolt.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Especially in the case of the goalies Kevyn needs to make sure any "goalie solution" he brings in next year isn't a good or long-lasting solution.  If they don't see opportunity they will bolt.

Too much of a risk to purposely add good, but bad goaltending for next year. We are a playoff team with a decent goalie, nobody should expect anything less. Especially given neither Levi nor Portillo are guaranteed to sign nor even be NHL-level goalies. I want 1 vet goalie to give us a s% north of 0.910 and signed for at least 3 years.

If either Levi or Portillo still think they are the *****, then they can come compete and try to win the job. If not, 3-4 years (what it will take for them to develop) is too long for this core. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I have said before, we don’t have any goalies until we actually have goalies.

You gotta sign a legit NHL starter.  We can’t afford to gamble on one or both of Portillo and Levi to sign and develop to their ceilings.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.