Erik Portillo returning to Michigan Per Friedman

Brawndo

5 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Well, if the all knowing Oz says so, I guess that’s that.

The rule was made when the NCAA was irrelevant. It isn’t anymore. They are going to have to look into it. The BHL can’t have every arrogant douche go to the Rangers.

If that's the case the NHL has to change the CHL rules then too.

Its the same thing 

Correct me if I’m wrong, but (generally speaking) when you draft a kid from the CHL, you get 2 years to sign him. If you don’t, he goes back into the draft. If he’s not re-drafted, he becomes a UFA. If he is drafted, you get another fixed period to sign him.

So, theoretically, unless there is some nuance Im missing, a CHL kid can do exactly what a college kid can: wait 4 years and pick any team he wants.

Wonder why it never happens.

Edited by dudacek

29 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

The NHL is not gonna change the college rules lol

The NHL wouldn't be changing the college rules.  The NHL would be changing its own rules about how long an NHL team keeps the rights to a player drafted drafted by that team.

You are unfortunately not the only one who does this, but I will also point out that the "lol" here is pretty much the same thing as "Ha ha!  What a dumb thing you said!"

It's pretty obnoxious and not in keeping with friendly hockey talk.

People get all excited about every time one of their own decides not to sign. You can literally count on your hands the number of players that did this and turned out to be worth all the angst.

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but (generally speaking) when you draft a kid from the CHL, you get 2 years to sign him. If you don’t, he goes back into the draft. If he’s not re-drafted, he becomes a UFA. If he is drafted, you get 2 years to re-sign him.

So, theoretically, unless there is some nuance Im missing, a CHL kid can do exactly what a college kid can: wait 4 years and pick any team he wants.

I was literally typing the same thing. For most kids, it just isn’t going to make sense to forego the money that long. You’ll always get a couple that it works for. 

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but (generally speaking) when you draft a kid from the CHL, you get 2 years to sign him. If you don’t, he goes back into the draft. If he’s not re-drafted, he becomes a UFA. If he is drafted, you get another fixed period to sign him.

The difference is that a CHL kid is there for one reason, hockey. If the big club wants him to play, he’s most likely going to play. Meaning, he will play.

There is no way he’s going to say,”well, I’m good enough for the NHL, but I’d rather play for [team x], so I’ll just wait it out down here.”

Its not even close to the same scenerio. IMO.

Edited by SwampD

Just now, SwampD said:

The difference is that a CHL kid is for for one reason, hockey. If the big club wants him to play, he’s most likely going to play. Meaning, he will play.

There is no way he’s going to say,”well, I’m good enough for the NHL, but I’d rather play for [team x], so I’ll just wait it out down here.”

Its not even close to the same scenerio. IMO.

So basically, the college kids have more options and are more likely to explore those options, just like in real life?

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

So basically, the college kids have more options and are more likely to explore those options, just like in real life?

Yes, but in a way that can shift the competitive balance within the NHL (yes, I'm pretending that they actually care about that).

Why have a draft at all, then? Just let all the 18 yos decide which team they would prefer to play for. Why do college kids get special treatment?

12 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Yes, but in a way that can shift the competitive balance within the NHL (yes, I'm pretending that they actually care about that).

Why have a draft at all, then? Just let all the 18 yos decide which team they would prefer to play for. Why do college kids get special treatment?

I get that there’s nuance, but it’s not really special treatment. At the base, it’s you can be a UFA at 4 years if you’re willing to wait. Dylan Cozens could have played 2 years in Lethbridge and 2 in Switzerland then signed with the Bruins.

At its most basic level, it’s not different than what Portillo could do: put off NHL money in order to play where he wants.

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

He’ll be 22 in September and, in a few weeks, will have finished 2 academic years at UM.  This time next year it will be 3 academic years.  It’s quite possible he brought transfer credits with him to Michigan from Sweden, or that he’s been taking classes over the summer and will do so this summer and next.

Elon Musk, Steve Ballmer and Steve Jobs didn’t get MBAs.

You could certainly be right that the whole education thing is a pretext, but you keep asserting that it’s impossible, and those assertions are simply wrong.  

Just to clarify, what do you think I am asserting is impossible?

1 hour ago, MBD said:

Just to clarify, what do you think I am asserting is impossible?

My reading of your posts is that you are asserting it's impossible for Portillo to attain a business degree by staying at UM one more year (and that, since it's impossible, the theory that getting the degree is one of his reasons for returning to school must be BS).

9 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

My reading of your posts is that you are asserting it's impossible for Portillo to attain a business degree by staying at UM one more year (and that, since it's impossible, the theory that getting the degree is one of his reasons for returning to school must be BS).

No, I'm actually saying the opposite of "it's impossible."  If he can plan on pursuing his degree after next year (during the off-seasons), when he ostensibly joins the Sabres, he could also do it right now.  

25 minutes ago, MBD said:

No, I'm actually saying the opposite of "it's impossible."  If he can plan on pursuing his degree after next year (during the off-seasons), when he ostensibly joins the Sabres, he could also do it right now.  

But my point is that it's reasonably likely that his plan is to have his undergrad business degree by next May or perhaps next August -- not some undetermined future point after a number of years of offseason study.  For that matter, he may have decided that it will be pretty difficult to get the degree if he turns pro first, which could be a driver of his decision to get the degree first.

49 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

But my point is that it's reasonably likely that his plan is to have his undergrad business degree by next May or perhaps next August -- not some undetermined future point after a number of years of offseason study.  For that matter, he may have decided that it will be pretty difficult to get the degree if he turns pro first, which could be a driver of his decision to get the degree first.

OK, so maybe he gets his undergrad business degree by next May-August.  By then he becomes an UFA, free to sign with anyone.

14 hours ago, Hank said:

Please correct me if my understanding of the following is wrong. If Portillo signs with the Sabres after next year's college season ends he signs a three year ELC. if he waits a few more months to sign with another team he only signs a two year ELC. regardless of the direction he chooses he'll be signing his second contract contract the same year. His option will be to forfeit a prorated salery/signing bonus for the option to choose where he wants to live and work. 

Portillo turns 22 in September meaning he is only eligible for to sign a two year ELC. The advantage the Sabres have is, in He signs next April one of those years will be burned. Meaning he is a RFA after the 2023-24 Season. If He signs with another team after August 15, 2023 He will be a RFA after the 2024-25 Season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Portillo turns 22 in September meaning he is only eligible for to sign a two year ELC. The advantage the Sabres have is, in He signs next April one of those years will be burned. Meaning he is a RFA after the 2023-24 Season. If He signs with another team after August 15, 2023 He will be a RFA after the 2024-25 Season.

I was not clear on that. Thank you. 

49 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

May is different then August for this, a lot different. 

It's just a few more weeks from May to UFA for him.  Probably figures Levi will sign by then, he can make his decision and there will be less vitriol directed at him.

3 minutes ago, MBD said:

It's just a few more weeks from May to UFA for him.  Probably figures Levi will sign by then, he can make his decision and there will be less vitriol directed at him.

Those few weeks matter. 

If Buffalo signs Portillo in April, we can burn a year off his elc. If he goes to ufa in August that can't happen. Considering he's a business major, he might understand why that actually is important. 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Those few weeks matter. 

If Buffalo signs Portillo in April, we can burn a year off his elc. If he goes to ufa in August that can't happen. Considering he's a business major, he might understand why that actually is important. 

He might figure a bigger market might get him more in endorsements and such.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.