Official Sabres Sign First Overall Pick in 2021 Owen Power to His ELC/Debut Is Tentatively Scheduled versus TML on 4/12

Brawndo

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I will bet this does not happen. It is not Granato's style, he will toss Power to the wolves and see how he handles it and make adjustments accordingly. If Donny is smart, he'll treat these 7ish games that Power gets as a training camp and put him in lots of different situations. 

Agree, the question I wonder about is who his partner will be?  Will Granato leave him on the left side and partner with a RHD (ex. Joki), or maybe pair him with Dahlin (no idea who would play which side though).  I'll just be happy to see him in blue and gold regardless.

19 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

Do we also bring up Quinn to get another taste of the NHL and some reps in with Power? Or do they need him to make a playoff push? Would Power be eligible to play in the AHL playoffs?

No. He had to be on the Amerks roster by a certain date, which has passed. 

24 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

So Jacob Bryson goes down to the AHL after Power gets here?

He's played some on the right side with Dahlin hasn't he at times?  If they send down Bryson and we have to stomach more of Butcher I might hurl.  A tall boy left side of Dahlin (6'3"), Power (6'5") and Samuelsson (6'4") is beautiful.  Now if we can just get guys to push Jokiharju down the right side pairings.  Cough....Nemec!   Though he'll be gone before we ultimately pick 8th.  lmao. 

6 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

The pairings will be anchored by Dahlin, Power and... not insignificantly, Muel, who's no slouch himself.

I've seen this a few times here (maybe it's always been from you?). Seeing Samuelsson play these past couple months ... I just can't imagine him not among the top 2 pairings. He is already very good, and he is trending toward being an elite shutdown defender with very good transition skills and solid offensive instincts.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

So Jacob Bryson goes down to the AHL after Power gets here?

I highly doubt it.  I don’t believe that Bryson is waiver exempt any longer.  Another team could claim him if he was waived.

Samuelsson and Fitzgerald are waiver exempt so probably Fitzgerald goes down.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Does he automatically burn a year off of ELC by signing or is there like a 10 game limit? IMO let him sit and watch a few games such that he can see NHL hockey up close, also he won't burn the year (if there is the x game limit).

He's not a third pairing guy for sure.  But if we have 3 LHD that are that strong, what do you do with them?  Joker and Fitzgerald are RHD.  If Pysyk is back he's also RHD, and Bryson shoots left but is playing the right side. 

I've heard talk that Power sometimes plays the right side, but I would think the preference would be to play the left side when he first gets here.  So assuming you're putting Dahlin, Muel and Power all on the left.... each one will be on a different pairing.

I could be wrong; maybe Power plays the right side with Dahlin or Muel. 

Right now, though, if Power is NHL ready and going to play his natural side, we have three strong Dmen who are all play the left side.

But you may be right, maybe one of the top three LHD will play on his off side and Muel will be in a top 4 pairing.

5 minutes ago, NAF said:

Does he automatically burn a year off of ELC by signing or is there like a 10 game limit? IMO let him sit and watch a few games such that he can see NHL hockey up close, also he won't burn the year (if there is the x game limit).

He's not coming in here to watch.  Just sayin'.

15 minutes ago, NAF said:

There's a 0% chance a healthy Power doesn't see his elc burn the first year. 

No there isn't a 10 game limit

21 minutes ago, NAF said:

I think, in this case, it’s automatic as soon as he plays a game.  The Sabres are ok with this because it allows them to get him into the team and start integrating into the organization earlier than if they waited until the offseason to sign him.

46 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I've seen this a few times here (maybe it's always been from you?). Seeing Samuelsson play these past couple months ... I just can't imagine him not among the top 2 pairings. He is already very good, and he is trending toward being an elite shutdown defender with very good transition skills and solid offensive instincts.

Which is why one of the LHD should play on  the right.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.