GDT - Panthers @ Sabres - April 3, 2022 - 1:00 PM (EST) - MSG-B WGR ESPN+

woods-racer

The Florida Panthers can clinch a playoff berth with a win at the Buffalo Sabres on Sunday.

Florida is coming off an incredible 7-6 overtime win over the host New Jersey Devils on Saturday afternoon.

Panthers Odds-275

Sabres Odds+225

Over/Under7 (+100 / -120)

Time1 p.m. ET

TV ESPN+

Can our Buffalo Sabres hopium crash through the Florida Panthers wall of reality and get a win in todays AFTERNOON DELIGHT game?

Tune in and find out.

Edited by woods-racer
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

• woods-racer changed the title to GDT - Panthers @ Sabres - April 3, 2022 - 1:00 PM (EST) - MSG-B WGR ESPN+
  • nfreeman pinned this topic
3 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

Panthers Odds-275
Sabres Odds+225
Over/Under7 (+100 / -120)

I hate everything about gambling odds, most of all when the broadcast prostitutes itself by going over this stuff during the period break and utterly failing to explain it in an understandable way.

(but thanks for starting the thread  😉 )

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Florida will be tired from yesterday. The Sabres need to take advantage of this and play a fast paced game.

They have shown to be capable of this and need to pressure the Cats to have a chance.

Too bad Levi couldn’t have been signed and have him start vs Knight in a World Juniors grudge match.

Let’s go Buffalo!

30 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I hate everything about gambling odds, most of all when the broadcast prostitutes itself by going over this stuff during the period break and utterly failing to explain it in an understandable way.

You made my day. Now, I don't feel like I'm the only befuddled non-hipster who doesn't have a clue what the numbers mean in the broadcast gambling promotions. Good Morning Reaction GIF by Satisfied Customer

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

• This is the third of four meetings between the Sabres and Panthers this season.
• Last meeting: Florida defeated Buffalo 6-1 in Buffalo on March 7. 
• Next meeting: Friday, April 8 in Florida. 

• The Sabres are 4-5-1 in their last 10 games against the Panthers; 5-5-0 at home. 
• This is the 106th game all-time between Buffalo and Florida; Buffalo has a 52-44-9 series record. 
• The Sabres are 30-20-4 at home against the Panthers all-time.

• The Sabres enter tonight's game with at least a point in each of their last eight contests (5-0-3) for the first time since the team won 10 games in a row from Nov. 8 to 27, 2018. 
• The team also recorded a point in eight straight games (7-0-1) spanning two seasons. That streak included the last two games of 2018-19 and the fist six games of the 2019-20 season. 

• The Sabres enter tonight's game with at least a point in each of their last six home games (4-0-2, including the Heritage Classic, which was a home game played at Tim Hortons Field in Hamilton, Ontario) for the first time since the team won six home games in a row the last three home games of last season and the first three games of this season. 

• The Sabres enter tonight's game with at least a point in 10 of their last 11 contests overall (7-1-3).

• Awesome! (+1) 1

The attached link is a column written by the AP's John Wawrow. What is interesting about this article that I believe was posted in the Buffalo News is that it was also posted in today's Washington Post. The Sabres are starting to get national attention for their performances instead of for their dysfunction. 

Florida is a serious Cup contender. However, in a win in Jersey they played a tough come from behind game last night. Although Florida embarrassed the Sabres in a game at home not long ago, I consider this is a winnable game. Tired legs can empty the tank very quickly. We need to play at a fast peddle to the metal pace right from the start. 

https://www.ourmidland.com/sports/article/Surging-Sabres-show-signs-of-blossoming-in-17046388.php

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

It's simple.

You always want to be a fan of the team with the negative sign in front of the number. 

Panthers Odds-275 Really good team

Sabres Odds+225    Really bad team.

Closer those numbers are to each other the more evenly matched game. 

I don't bet on much. I enjoy seeing horse racing live on great occasion and a simple $2.00 bet on a race. I do enjoy seeing a numerical representation of my teams chances. To me it is the most simplistic of *fancy stats*

Not sure if people are saying “I truly don’t understand the odds / money line” or “I wish announcers did a better job explaining to casual fans”

If the first, I’ll try and contribute;

The + / - in gambling odds ends up being fairly simple. It’s all in relation to $100.
A “-xxx” number means the amount of money, at that moment in time, you need to wager to win $100. So, if a team is “-225”, you would need to wager $225 to win your original bet ($225) plus an additional $100. This is the favorite of the game. 
A “+xxx” is the amount of money won on a $100 bet. So, if a team is “+200”, you would win a total of $300 (your original $100 back, plus winnings of an additional $200). This team is the underdog of the game. 

Similar concept for over / under. 

You’ll notice the numbers never match. This is how the sports book makes money. The slight difference in odds means that they will take home some percentage in between the two betting pools. 

Edited by Brad_MI
Typo
  • Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

It's simple.

You always want to be a fan of the team with the negative sign in front of the number. 

Panthers Odds-275 Really good team

Sabres Odds+225    Really bad team.

Closer those numbers are to each other the more evenly matched game. 

I don't bet on much. I enjoy seeing horse racing live on great occasion and a simple $2.00 bet on a race. I do enjoy seeing a numerical representation of my teams chances. To me it is the most simplistic of *fancy stats*

But you still didn't explain what the numbers mean.  I don't want to know though... the point is I think the NHL encouraging sports betting is a terrible idea.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The attached link is a column written by the AP's John Wawrow. What is interesting about this article that I believe was posted in the Buffalo News is that it was also posted in today's Washington Post. The Sabres are starting to get national attention for their performances instead of for their dysfunction. 

Florida is a serious Cup contender. However, in a win in Jersey they played a tough come from behind game last night. Although Florida embarrassed the Sabres in a game at home not long ago, I consider this is a winnable game. Tired legs can empty the tank very quickly. We need to play at a fast peddle to the metal pace right from the start. 

https://www.ourmidland.com/sports/article/Surging-Sabres-show-signs-of-blossoming-in-17046388.php

John is a member here:   @john wawrow

A bit of a revenge game. It seemed to me the Panthers were laughing at the boys in their last 6-1 win against the Sabres. Time to earn some Respect back from these guys. I victory would be awesome but respect is the key word here. With Tokarski most likely in net this afternoon, it will be very important for the boys to get some good will carry over from the Nashville win. We'll also see if there's any carry over effect from the sell out crowd in the last game to today's game. If not a sellout hopefully there's a bigger crowd than usual. 

LETS GO BUFFALO

Mustard Wieners

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

Florida will be tired from yesterday. The Sabres need to take advantage of this and play a fast paced game.

They have shown to be capable of this and need to pressure the Cats to have a chance.

Too bad Levi couldn’t have been signed and have him start vs Knight in a World Juniors grudge match.

Let’s go Buffalo!

That's insanity. Take a kid from college and his first pro game is against the Panthers??

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

The incremental maturation process needs to continue. Friday, they showed they can close a game out vs a good team. Today, they need to show they have moved on from Friday’s amazing high and avoid the kind of letdown a night like Friday can lead to. 

Same goes for the fans that attend. Let’s keep showing these guys what they’ve been missing. 

48 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

John is a member here:   @john wawrow

He hasn't been involved in quite a while. My impression is that he got tired of engaging with the snipers who were more interested in battle than in exchanging thoughts and responsibly challenging viewpoints. He had some interesting insights due to his proximity that added to this forum. However, some posters were more interested in being combative.  

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

He hasn't been involved in quite a while. My impression is that he got tired of engaging with the snipers who were more interested in battle than in exchanging thoughts and responsibly challenging viewpoints. He had some interesting insights due to his proximity that added to this forum. However, some posters were more interested in being combative.  

My issue with warrow posting here is that he came in swinging regardless of circumstance.  I suppose his experience here taught him that but it was frustrating because trying to communicate with him became impossible due to a few jerks. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, inkman said:

My issue with warrow posting here is that he came in swinging regardless of circumstance.  I suppose his experience here taught him that but it was frustrating because trying to communicate with him became impossible due to a few jerks. 

I agree with you that it was the few jerks that contaminated the discourse. John W is not a passive fellow. He was capable of punching back. It appears that he didn't want to get in the ring anymore. He had better things to do with his limited time like pursuing the exotic beer. 

• Like (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Eh.  If you look at his twitter, he seems pretty combative himself.  Other sports writers shrug it off but he seems to take it very personally.

We will be watching the game on tape delay.  My 82 year old father is visiting from Buffalo and we are golfing this morning. The Sabres have been on fire since his arrival going 3-0-2 which has enhanced his stay.  Could be a letdown after the emotional win on Friday however @jsb point about revenging the embarrassment for last months loss is something I look forward to seeing from the boys.  Enjoy the game.

Mulligans Waggle. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.