Do You Think Sabres Will Make Playoffs Next Year?

bob_sauve28

Do You Think Sabres Will Make Playoffs Next Year  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Will Sabres Make Playoffs Next Year?

• Yes
    • No

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I'll go with yes but depends on the goaltending and if they bring back Eakin

Eakin secures the playoff spot?

I voted No even though I'm drunk off the Kool-Aid right now. We will definitely push for a wildcard, but I think we need one more year. Goaltending is what gives me the greatest hesitance

Edited by Stads

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

And Pittsburgh is done after this year (until the league bails them out again), too.

So... Pittsburgh loses Malkin in free agency this offseason, falls apart on the ice, then wins the lottery to draft Bedard -- who goes on to overlap with Crosby for a couple seasons, and then leads the Penguins right back to perennial 100-point campaigns and playoff berths....

2 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

I voted yes because as an optimist I think the Sabres make the playoffs every year. Surely I can't be wrong 11/12 seasons in a row.

"Nobody beats Vitas Gerulaitis 17 times in a row."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I won't vote.  I'll just watch and wait.  I hope they do.

You, me and MoG, we three kings. I thought something was happening here this year, until it didn't.

1 hour ago, calti said:

delusion abounds

Yep. I wake up every morning feeling good about myself. Then I have my opening night at home against the Habs moment: I look in the mirror.

• Like (+1) 1

If it was a typical division we were in, I would say 100% yes. Tampa, Florida and Toronto are going to be a real pain (Fla and Tampa especially). Most likely battling for a wild card but things are looking up! Nobody but those 2 really scare me that much and Sabes are going to be a force sooner than later. Faith has been restored to myself as well as my kids just in time and I can't wait for the home opener next year.

Dahlin, Taige are really instilling some serious attitude into this group and they have the talent in spades!

10 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

They win the Deluca .500 next March and they are in. 

They will do it this year, see no reason they won't do it next.

I voted yes.

I want a DeLuca .500 in April this year too.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, jsb said:

I voted no but not because of what we'll do in the offseason but until I see one of the current 8 Eastern Conference teams start showing signs of age catching up with them. We are in a power house conference and Boston, Pittsburgh and Washington are showing no signs yet of slowing down. So we'll see but I don't think we'll be ready until the 23'-24' season.

I voted no for basically the same reasons you state. The other thing is the Sabres would need to take a giant leap forward.

I would add though that few foresaw the Islanders dropping off as far as they have and even fewer projected what is happening in Vegas. There are teams that could collapse next year if they pull the wrong Jenga block. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think they will. That isn't the worst thing in the world though.  Yes, winning and making the playoffs IS the goal, but some of us really enjoy watching a young team get better, even if that means you aren't at your goal yet.

I WANT them to of course. Next year is going to be the first year in a while where my mind isn't on an upcoming high draft pick at all, I just think they are too far away yet....and anything done to accelerate the 'rebuild' to get them to the playoffs will likely hurt the long term.  You aren't likely to make the playoffs with Quinn getting a lot minutes getting used to the NHL game and making rookie mistakes....with players like Cozens getting better but still being put in tougher positions than a 20-21 year old would be (making him better long term but short term still making mistakes)...and the same applies to other players.

If you want to get max points to make the playoffs, you sign veteran guys that do not have the ceiling of the young players you have, as those veterans are less likely to make mistakes to cost you points and games.  However, we have seen with Dahlin, Cozens, even Thompson and Mitts the last few years, that they become better players LONG TERM when they are put in tough situations and fail, let learn from those mistakes.  I'd rather have this team continue to get better but maybe miss out on a few points next year if that means their young players keep on developing by being put in tough situations where they might fail at first, but get experience in those situations.

Not to mention to get to 3rd in the division this year...that is a 111 point pace.  The final playoff spot in the east this year looks to be over a 100 point pace. The Sabres this year are currently on a 69 point pace.  I just don't know who is going to fall hard enough or the Sabres to get THAT much better to close a 30+ point projected gap.

• Like (+1) 1

No, but I think they will be in the mix at the end of the year, probably missing by 6-8 points ultimately.  I think the following year is when they break through.  Sabres really started to come together...have the 5th best record in the NHL over their last 10 games.

Edited by matter2003

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.