Do You Think Sabres Will Make Playoffs Next Year?

bob_sauve28

Do You Think Sabres Will Make Playoffs Next Year  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Will Sabres Make Playoffs Next Year?

• Yes
    • No

I voted yes, but I agree that it depends on goaltending.  Lots of of question marks there:

• Do they bring back Anderson?
    • If so, can he stay healthy for a full season at age 41?
    • Can he play at the same level at 41?
  • Does UPL make the team and stay for the entire season?
    • If so, can he play at the level he displayed in the little bit of time that he played this year?
  • Do they bring in a veteran goalie from outside the organization?
    • If so, who?

While there are also questions about Levi and Portillo, I am leaving those out, as I believe those guys, if signed, are likely destined for a development year (or longer) in Rochester.

Based on the current coaching, the current talent at Forward and Defense, plus an influx of additional talent (Power, Quinn, maybe JJ) and any offseason veteran acquisitions (there have to be some, both for cap floor reasons and for practial purposes), this is a playoff team if, If, IF they figure out the goaltending.

• Like (+1) 1

I voted no because I don't know if GMKA can shore up RHD, Goaltending, and good enough forward depth.  Even then, the top 8 in the East are head and shoulders above the bottom 8; thus, even if a couple of teams regress, they are still decent.  Moreover, you should figure that the Islanders problems are an aberration and that the Red Wings and the Devils will be better too.  That makes 11 other teams to contend with.

• Like (+1) 1

If Levi or Portillo comes in and plays 50+ games at .940+ sv% and the backup (UPL) rocks a .910+ sv%... then sure, they're a shoo-in.

But otherwise, no. Over an 82-game schedule, this team will not yet surpass Tampa, Florida, Toronto, or Boston next season. They should be in contention for the wild card if the Metro only has three top teams.

2023-2024 though... as Dahlin begins to hit his prime and Power/Muel/Cozens/Quinn/JJP begin to fully realize themselves, and the goalie situation becomes clear... that is where the fun begins.

• Like (+1) 1

I voted no but not because of what we'll do in the offseason but until I see one of the current 8 Eastern Conference teams start showing signs of age catching up with them. We are in a power house conference and Boston, Pittsburgh and Washington are showing no signs yet of slowing down. So we'll see but I don't think we'll be ready until the 23'-24' season.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Eleven said:

If they don't, it is because of incompetent management and/or injuries with respect to the goaltenders. 

There is no question that without better goaltending this team is going no where fast, but the East is loaded with good teams.  Of the 8 playoffs teams in the East, I think only Wash looks primed to take a step back as they deal with older players, cap issue and erratic goaltending.  However, Carolina, Tampa, Bos, Tor, Fla, the Pens and Rags all look to be able to stay in contention next year as well.  

For us to make the playoff we are going to need to get better goaltending, the kids have to continue to progress, the roster needs to stay healthy and consistently beat those 8 teams.  To me it looks like a tall order for next year but not impossible.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

There is no question that without better goaltending this team is going no where fast, but the East is loaded with good teams.  Of the 8 playoffs teams in the East, I think only Wash looks primed to take a step back as they deal with older players, cap issue and erratic goaltending.  However, Carolina, Tampa, Bos, Tor, Fla, the Pens and Rags all look to be able to stay in contention next year as well.  

For us to make the playoff we are going to need to get better goaltending, the kids have to continue to progress, the roster needs to stay healthy and consistently beat those 8 teams.  To me it looks like a tall order for next year but not impossible.

The rags are trash praying their gt saves them. 

7 minutes ago, jsb said:

I voted no but not because of what we'll do in the offseason but until I see one of the current 8 Eastern Conference teams start showing signs of age catching up with them. We are in a power house conference and Boston, Pittsburgh and Washington are showing no signs yet of slowing down. So we'll see but I don't think we'll be ready until the 23'-24' season.

Bruins gotta figure out Bergeron this year and pastrnak next year.  Penguins got a ton of free agents - Malkin, Letang, Rust are the big 3.  Caps are pretty set on who they are and gotta pay their goalies this year.  Torontos going to overpay a goalie for sure.  

Florida and Tampa are just wagons.  Deep teams across the board with good goalies.  

Carolina and the Rangers are both good - but Anderson has a .928% save percentage in 43 games which is signifcantly above his career average.  Shesterkins at a .936 in 42 games.  Thats quite a few stolen games.  

At the end of the day, it seems like the way to the playoffs requires a good goalie.  0 Current Eastern conference teams have given up 200 goals this year, and buffalo is at 223.  The 171 goals for is also lower than all the playoff teams.  Playoff teams don't usually get shut out 6 times by teams like ottawa, detroit and montreal.  Or have so many losing streaks where they seem incapable of beating anyone.  

5 game losing streak in october/november

4 game losing streak in november (where they gave up 22 goals in 4 games)

7 game losing streak in november/december (30 goals allowed in 7 games)

6 game losing streak in december/January (24 goals in 6 games)

6 game losing streak in February (28 goals in 6 games)

Idc what other teams do or what they are. The only thing that matters is Buffalo getting better. You win by getting better, not hoping your opponent gets worse. 

2 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

Bruins gotta figure out Bergeron this year and pastrnak next year.  Penguins got a ton of free agents - Malkin, Letang, Rust are the big 3.  Caps are pretty set on who they are and gotta pay their goalies this year.  Torontos going to overpay a goalie for sure.  

Florida and Tampa are just wagons.  Deep teams across the board with good goalies.  

Carolina and the Rangers are both good - but Anderson has a .928% save percentage in 43 games which is signifcantly above his career average.  Shesterkins at a .936 in 42 games.  Thats quite a few stolen games.  

At the end of the day, it seems like the way to the playoffs requires a good goalie.  0 Current Eastern conference teams have given up 200 goals this year, and buffalo is at 223.  The 171 goals for is also lower than all the playoff teams.  Playoff teams don't usually get shut out 6 times by teams like ottawa, detroit and montreal.  Or have so many losing streaks where they seem incapable of beating anyone.  

5 game losing streak in october/november

4 game losing streak in november (where they gave up 22 goals in 4 games)

7 game losing streak in november/december (30 goals allowed in 7 games)

6 game losing streak in december/January (24 goals in 6 games)

6 game losing streak in February (28 goals in 6 games)

The rangers aren't good. They suck in every metric except goaltending. 

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

27 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The rags are trash praying their gt saves them. 

And Pittsburgh is done after this year (until the league bails them out again), too.

Edited by Eleven

I decided to try and stay positive on this one and vote yes. KA has his work cut out for him and not sure if that is the goal. More than likely he sticks with slow and steady but I’d like the boys to take it into their own hands and will it to happen. Fight tooth and nail and kick the door down.

• Like (+1) 1

I voted yes only if they upgrade goaltending. Pretty much every one here mentioned goaltending as being one of the things that would have to be fixed to make the playoffs. Hopefully KA has this as a top priority as well. I'm a little concerned though. He's had a couple of years to fix this and hasn't done it yet. For me this is his last chance. He's done a lot of good things but if he doesn't fix goaltending in this off season he should be fired. It's been a glaring hole in our team for way to long IMHO.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.