Trade Deadline: Sabres do nothing

LGR4GM

If the offers were not good, I can understand holding on to players for the purposes of not upsetting a positive locker room atmosphere.

I would have liked to see them act as a salary cap laundromat on a deal or two, but it doesn’t seem like any deals like that really went down with any teams.

I am happy Adams kept Anderson and Psysk. They are good for the group.  This team needs to keep winning and building confidence.  Playing for a better lottery position needs to stop. 

Miller?  Probably no interest.  No one knows what he has left. 
Eakin? Sabres probably wanted to keep him and KA didn’t give him away. 

Butcher and Bjork -  not gonna attract any interest.  

Lots of people trashed Hagg but Florida was smart to get 6/7/8 insurance for a playoff run.  

• Like (+1) 6

I think it was a minor fail that the Sabres did not move out any expiring contract save Hagg.

I think it was a major fail that the Sabres have been effectively below the cap floor the entire season and did not use any of that considerable asset to improve the team for this season or the future. 

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Curt said:

If the offers were not good, I can understand holding on to players for the purposes of not upsetting a positive locker room atmosphere.

I would have liked to see them act as a salary cap laundromat on a deal or two, but it doesn’t seem like any deals like that really went down with any teams.

You make a good point about if there isn't much of a return then why upset the locker room balance. 

I'm hoping this offseason the Sabres use their cap situation to acquire a good player or two.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

You make a good point about if there isn't much of a return then why upset the locker room balance. 

I'm hoping this offseason the Sabres use their cap situation to acquire a good player or two.

Really? Strange, you've never mentioned it before. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm fine with this. Making a deal for the sake of making a deal is really no deal at all. Sabres are showing some gel so that eases any pain from the no deal at the deadline reality.

Lots of teams will still need to get their houses in order this offseason so all those Salary Cap dump deals are still there for the taking.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Really? Strange, you've never mentioned it before. 

As you well know I have mentioned it a lot. It still remains an open issue whether they will do it. At least it is for me. You may be confident that they will utilize that good cap situation but I'm not so sure. 

No problem with no deals.  Would have been nice to move Miller, but wasn't expecting he'd bring much in return.

Also interested in Adams making some moves to replace some of the JAGs, but any move to do so would still be a bit early.  The off season is still the best time to do that.

Glad he decided to hold on to Olofsson, Hinostroza, and Anderson a bit longer.

• Like (+1) 1

Personally I think some of you have way overrated the UFA jags on this team. Nobody was going to give us much of anything for them and the ones who might have were injured for a large percentage of this year including recently. Besides Hineythestrozaman, I wouldn't keep any of them for next year. Miller although not the most favored pick is probably the guy who plays with Power when he comes aboard being a vet who obviously didn't kick and scream to get out of here either at the end of last year or at this trade deadline. I thought he played pretty well against Vancouver also, so there are worst options including Pysyk.

Adams speaking now. Sabres FB page.

In a nutshell: offers weren't enough to break up a team that's trending up. Why mess with chemistry?

Colin Miller: injury affected interest.

Anderson: respected his wishes to move to only certain teams. Still happy to stay.

AHL roster: Krebs, Muel and Fitz sent down (on paper) to become playoff eligible.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ddaryl said:

I'm fine with this. Making a deal for the sake of making a deal is really no deal at all. Sabres are showing some gel so that eases any pain from the no deal at the deadline reality.

Lots of teams will still need to get their houses in order this offseason so all those Salary Cap dump deals are still there for the taking.

Maybe.

But all the spacve we had this season has been squandered and it's not coming back.

As little as it might be, any value Pysyk, Miller and Eakin may have had is restricted to 20 games (likely less) of possible "culture" benefits. Anderson and Hinostroza should at least help a bit on the ice.

Anyone hoping to get an extended look at Quinn or Peterka or Johnson or Levi or Portillo down the stretch should probably forget it. I wonder if the same might be said for Fitz and Samuelsson.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.