Rasmus Dahlin has evolved and is good

LGR4GM

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

I've noticed 2 significant improvements in his game... 

He's quicker (acceleration and small area speed) and much more physical.     

Those were two areas he needed to improve to take the next step. 

That said, he'll need to continue to work on his foot speed, and overall strength, I think there's still a few more levels he could reach.

I think the next element he needs to focus on is his shot. If he can learn to improve his release and accuracy he'll be absolutely lethal.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Curt said:

I’m not so sure that his actual skating is quicker, but I think he is being much more decisive and confident in his actions.

I think he is faster.  You see him when someone tries to blow by him; he's not the pushover he was.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I think he is faster.  You see him when someone tries to blow by him; he's not the pushover he was.

He’s playing with confidence.  He’s playing instinctively rather than indecisive.  Probably makes his play immeasurably faster. 

• Like (+1) 3

On 3/30/2022 at 7:39 AM, inkman said:

He’s playing with confidence.  He’s playing instinctively rather than indecisive.  Probably makes his play immeasurably faster. 

More aggressive too - and its not all about chasing hits.  He's meeting people closer to the blue line instead of continuing to fade back.  

4 minutes ago, bg17 said:

Sorry if it’s been said above - based on his growth as a player, still untapped potential, and every single word Granato has said about the way he handles business, Dahlin should be the next captain. 

I don't think he'd be a bad captain, right now though I'm not sure I want to roll the "22-year-old captain" dice again. A more experienced vet (Tuch, etc.) makes more sense to me right now.

Edited by MattPie
  • Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, MattPie said:

I don't think he'd be a bad captain, right now though I'm not sure I want to roll the "22-year-old captain" dice again. A more experienced vet (Tuch, etc.) makes more sense to me right now.

He’s four seasons in at the end of the year. I don’t think his age is as relevant. 

41 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

He’s four seasons in at the end of the year. I don’t think his age is as relevant. 

Eichel was 3 seasons in when he was given the C.

The Captain supposed to be someone who keeps the rest of the team honest, someone who can guide them in difficult situations, someone who the coaches can come to and discuss what the team needs, someone who can go to the coaches as a representative of the other players, someone who is going to be an on ice advocate to the officials, someone who is going to go face the media every single night.

I just don’t think that a 22 year old who is still figuring out what he can be in the NHL is the right choice for that.  He just hasn’t had the width and breadth of experiences in the NHL that lend themselves to doing the things a captain is supposed to.  Let Dahlin focus on playing hockey and let someone more settled in their career take on the extra responsibilities of being captain.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, bg17 said:

Sorry if it’s been said above - based on his growth as a player, still untapped potential, and every single word Granato has said about the way he handles business, Dahlin should be the next captain. 

I truly like his development this year and he's added physicality that has changed a lot of things for him and the team, but he's not captain material. Even if he's the most skilled player on the ice it doesn't matter. I am hoping they have learned from the Eichel mistake and will not hand out letters based on skill or the size of players contracts, but rather on their character and true leadership abilities. 

imo you name Tuch captain next year, Cozens gets an A and unless he's traded Kyle keeps his A for next season (that A eventually going to whichever kid steps up the most and becomes the bigger leader. At the moment I am thinking Krebs).

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I truly like his development this year and he's added physicality that has changed a lot of things for him and the team, but he's not captain material. Even if he's the most skilled player on the ice it doesn't matter. I am hoping they have learned from the Eichel mistake and will not hand out letters based on skill or the size of players contracts, but rather on their character and true leadership abilities. 

imo you name Tuch captain next year, Cozens gets an A and unless he's traded Kyle keeps his A for next season (that A eventually going to whichever kid steps up the most and becomes the bigger leader. At the moment I am thinking Krebs).

I wonder how much of this comes from your perception of the polite deferential 19-year-old Dahlin rather than the competitive, confident 23-year-old Dahlin. Undoubtedly there is a transition happening. You can see he is definitely taking charge on the ice and to listen to those around the team that is also happening on the bench and in the room.

From his own mouth, this is the first year he has started to assert the real him.

23 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I wonder how much of this comes from your perception of the polite deferential 19-year-old Dahlin rather than the competitive, confident 23-year-old Dahlin. Undoubtedly there is a transition happening. You can see he is definitely taking charge on the ice and to listen to those around the team that is also happening on the bench and in the room.

From his own mouth, this is the first year he has started to assert the real him.

Slight correction: Dahlin is still 21 and won’t be 22 for a couple weeks.

35 minutes ago, dudacek said:

There's no doubt he's showing signs of maturity and becoming a more confident and complete player but watching them now, he doesn't strike me as captain material. I personally don't pay much attention to management and coaches and the others "around the team" as they often say what they want known and spin things and so on. After all these years I simply trust what I see in the games. We've all been lied to too many times by management and ownership. I'm measuring them only by actions and not words too. 

imo if they do not name Tuch captain, it will be another huge error. This ream is bonding since his arrival and I do not believe that is a coincidence. We've never had a guy who grew up wishing he could be a Sabre as a kid and this could be the beginning of a real rebirth. We name him captain and he will bleed blue and gold. It'll mean something to be a Sabre again, and pretty soon players will want to be here again. It will all slowly come back. 

8 hours ago, K-9 said:

Slight correction: Dahlin is still 21 and won’t be 22 for a couple weeks.

I know, the post was supposed to be saying that views are coloured by what Dahlin seemed to be 2 years ago, when what is more relevant is what he will be 2 years from now.

As far as Tuch goes, might be a great captain. Might also just be a great guy. The two aren’t the same.

I think the culture shift started with Granato/Adams and I am starting to think they understand and value culture enough that I should trust their choice.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I know, the post was supposed to be saying that views are coloured by what Dahlin seemed to be 2 years ago, when what is more relevant is what he will be 2 years from now.

As far as Tuch goes, might be a great captain. Might also just be a great guy. The two aren’t the same.

I think the culture shift started with Granato/Adams and I am starting to think they understand and value culture enough that I should trust their choice.

Didn’t have the context. Much appreciated and I agree entirely.