Sam Reinhart - NHL tough guy

inkman

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

Imagine the fact that Jason Botterill still has a job in the sport of professional hockey. Of all the inexcusably braindead things he did walking Sam to UFA with "prove it" bridge contracts is quite arguably the absolute worst.

Check out his work on the Seattle expansion draft. 

12 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Sam Reinhart was the most underrated and under appreciated tank era player. I hope he wins a cup. Mofo is fine

Most people here recognized how good he was even on this barren talented team . And most people recognize the inexplicable blunder of not giving him a deserved extension when it should have. The Sabres are what they are because the organization unwisely did what it usually did. The accumulated weight of bad decisions had sunk this ship in deep waters. It's going to take a lot of time and hard work to patch the holes that they themselves created. It's so aggravating!

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

No surprise here. Eichel got run once and Casey Nelson just skated away while Reinhart went in fists flying. He's a good teammate.

And that’s my take away from this is that at least he stood up for his teammate. Too often the Sabres haven’t done that.

I don't watch a ton of NHL hockey these days, but it seems that whenever I see the Florida Panthers playing, or see hightlights of a Panthers game, I hear Reinhart's name called.  He's a very good player there and was a good player in Buffalo.  The team really botched that situation, but by the time this offseason rolled around, the damage had been done and a trade was necessary.  A first round pick and Devon Levi isn't a terrible return.  At the time, Levi appeared to be more of a throw in because Florida is deep at the goaltender position, but he may turn out to be the jewel of the trade.  Given the Panthers' success, the pick is going to be in the late part of the first round, so not likely to yield a great prospect.

15 hours ago, sabremike said:

Imagine the fact that Jason Botterill still has a job in the sport of professional hockey. Of all the inexcusably braindead things he did walking Sam to UFA with "prove it" bridge contracts is quite arguably the absolute worst.

In fairness a lot of our current core we owe to Botterill. And in fairness as well, Kevyn Adams also bridged Sam Reinhart when he was still 2 full years away, so Kevyn Adams played his part in that walk, too 

On 2/21/2022 at 8:35 PM, Thorny said:

In fairness a lot of our current core we owe to Botterill. And in fairness as well, Kevyn Adams also bridged Sam Reinhart when he was still 2 full years away, so Kevyn Adams played his part in that walk, too 

I believe Adams was already counting on turning over the core at that point, or at least wanted the flexibility to do so. 

On 2/21/2022 at 9:35 PM, Thorny said:

Well, saying we owe a lot of the current core to JB cuts both ways.  The current core is delivering yet another bottom-5 finish.  Also, most of them are here only because of terrible moves by JB.

Skinner — terrible contract

TT — terrible ROR trade

Dahlin — terrible DFL finish in a season in which JB was trying to ice a good team

To be fair, some of the members of the current core that JB brought in — Cozens, Mitts, Joki, Mule — appear to have good upside, although they haven’t really delivered yet.

22 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Well, saying we owe a lot of the current core to JB cuts both ways.  The current core is delivering yet another bottom-5 finish.  Also, most of them are here only because of terrible moves by JB.

Skinner — terrible contract

TT — terrible ROR trade

Dahlin — terrible DFL finish in a season in which JB was trying to ice a good team

To be fair, some of the members of the current core that JB brought in — Cozens, Mitts, Joki, Mule — appear to have good upside, although they haven’t really delivered yet.

Just about everyone agrees that Skinner's contract is too big and too long relative to his production. I'm in that near unanimous camp. On the other hand, now that he is regaining his scoring touch on a good first line that contract, although still is a mismatch relative to his production, it is not as glaringly bad as it was with him playing under Krueger. If you also factor in where this franchise is with its low cap situation, his contract isn't much of a detriment to allowing this organization to make other moves to improve this team. My point is that although there is an imbalance it isn't as much as it was compared to when he was stuck in the abyss as a player. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.