GDT, Nov. 18: The Flames of Calgary @ The Sabres of Buffalo, 7PM (MSG, SN360)

Thorny

2 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

During a critical game it was customary to post "Must Win!" in the GDT.  That morphed into any random two-word phrase with the two words beginning with M and W.

It was when it became any random two-word phrase that the MW theme jumped the shark. It was fine when the MW had an actual contextual connection to some aspect of the game. Sometimes they were actually kind of clever. 

15 minutes ago, K-9 said:

It was when it became any random two-word phrase that the MW theme jumped the shark. It was fine when the MW had an actual contextual connection to some aspect of the game. Sometimes they were actually kind of clever. 

MORE WINGS!

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

Coming off their 2-1 victory over the Pittsburgh Penguins on Tuesday, the Buffalo Sabres are back at it tonight.

The Calgary Flames are in town for the first time since the 2019-20 season. The Flames are 8-3-5 so far this season and are currently in third place in the Pacific Division. 

Faceoff is set for 7 p.m. on MSG and WGR 550 with Dan Dunleavy and Rob Ray on the call. Pregame coverage on MSG will start at 6:30. 

• This is the first of two meetings between the Sabres and Flames this season.
• Last meeting: Calgary defeated Buffalo 4-3 in Calgary on Dec. 5, 2019.
• Next meeting: Friday, Mar. 18, 2022 in Calgary.

• The Sabres are 4-3-3 in their last 10 games against the Flames; 6-1-3 at home.
• This is the 112th game all-time between Buffalo and Calgary; Buffalo has a 53-38-20 series record.
• The Sabres are 33-14-8 at home against the Flames all-time.

1 minute ago, bob_sauve28 said:

My all time memory of Sabres - Flames games is Ric Seiling getting a horrible eye injury against the Flames and being out for a long time. I think that was at the Corral in Calgary 

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Sabres' record for fastest goal off an opening faceoff (to start a game) came in Calgary. I was listening on the radio in the kitchen of the old house where I grew up, and the window was fogged up because Mother had something berling on the stove, likely something father had run over in the Dart. It was an afternoon game, somehow.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Sabres' record for fastest goal off an opening faceoff (to start a game) came in Calgary. I was listening on the radio in the kitchen of the old house where I grew up, and the window was fogged up because Mother had something berling on the stove, likely something father had run over in the Dart. It was an afternoon game, somehow.

Uh, nah. Mogilny holds the record for scoring five seconds into a game in Toronto on 12-21-91. Hey, Toronto and Calgary are both in Canada! If I can determine that the game was indeed played in the afternoon, I will score it as a victory.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Thanks (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Uh, nah. Mogilny holds the record for scoring five seconds into a game in Toronto on 12-21-91. Hey, Toronto and Calgary are both in Canada! If I can determine that the game was indeed played in the afternoon, I will score it as a victory.

8:00pm game.

7 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

My memory is fuzzy on this one but: Wasn't there a Calgary Buffalo game in the LaFontaine years where Pat got injured against the Flames and the 2nd time they played there were an insane amount of fights and PIM's?

https://buffalonews.com/news/flames-hunter-breaks-ankle-in-brawl-bad-blood-over-lafontaines-broken-jaw-boils-into-another/article_a5a0dc8a-c343-5200-b686-a07e91e0ebd5.html

Watch "Sabres Calgary Flames brawl" on YouTube

Edited by El Zahir
Added video
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

This is a very interesting one for me. Calgary plays solid D, pretty much as close to old school hockey as you get these days and is exactly the kind of hockey I don't think we are built to play against. It feeds perfectly into the ever ongoing size and toughness and grit debates that go on forever. If we can hold up well against them I might have to accept I have outdated ideas, but I don't think we will. 

33 minutes ago, El Zahir said:

lol, Even in a full team scrum good old Rob Ray never could leave his jersey on could he? Say what you want about the neanderthal era, but that team stood up as a team. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Brawndo said:

We really need more firepower, especially against Calgary’s goaltending.   Any chance we can upgrade Hayden tonight?  

Faceoffs - they matter and we need to win more of them.  

That Pittsburgh third period - need to teach them what is going wrong and fix it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.