Jack Eichel and 2023 3rd Traded to Vegas for F Alex Tuch, C Peyton Krebs, 2022 1st Top Ten Protected and 2023 2nd

Brawndo

Vegas is really gambling, I know I know, they this pans out because they are going to have to move others off their roster when guys come back of ltir.

They really need to try and stay in the hunt this year, and if they do and guys come back from injury, they could be golden (see what I did there)

If not, they need Jack healthy to start next year to make their run, but they’re prospects pool is weak and adding him may make them have to move on from some other cheaper, team guys. Good article in si.com regarding this.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Amerks turning into must watch tv.

didnt the Athletic put Sabres #1 prior the season starting? I could be wrong

Not that I am aware of. Sabres prospect pool even with Krebs is 100% not #1. LA Kings are easily still better. 

The Sabres traded Jack (and a 3rd in 2023) for Tuch (18th overall 2014) who is an established middle 6 forward, Krebs (17th overall in 2019), a 1st in 2022 (top 10 protected) and a 2nd in 2023.  We also saved $25.25 mill in $ and cap over this year and the next 4. (Jack’s 10 - Tuch’s 4.75)

The Sabres trade ROR for Thompson (26th overall in 2016), 1st in 2019 (Johnson 31st overall), a 2nd in 2021 (traded to LV for Colin Miller) plus two depth forward (Berglund and Sobatka). The $ were $40 mill (5 years @ 8mill) to St Louis with Buffalo taking back $22.4 in  7 for Sobatka (2 yrs @ 3.5) and 15.4 for Berglund (4 yrs @ 3.85).  Fortunately for Buffalo Berglund went awol and we voided his contract saving most of the $15.4.  

The Sabres acquired ROR and McGinn for Grigorenko (12th in 2012), Zadorov (16th in 2013), Compher (38th in 2013) and the 31st overall in 2015 (Roy)

Honestly this deal looks very similar to what we gave up to get ROR, except Tuch is better then Grigorenko and Krebs is a better prospects then Zadorov was at that time.  The 1st in 2022 should be of similar quality to Compher and hopefully better.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

No need to bash Eichel, but he wasn't a leader. Saw him speak at an event 3 years ago with BB Kyle Williams. Kyle was a leader, and Jack was all about himself. No shame in that, it's what makes some athlete's great. But once he was given the C, it was never going to work. I'm glad it's over......

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Honestly have never expected the Pegulas to be unwilling to spend if they think it'll actually help the cause.

The only time they've EVER seemed to cheap out were when O'Reilly was traded & personally believe that was personal to them (they didn't want to pay THAT guy any more than they'd already paid him & that bit us all in the bippy) & when they made significant cuts to the back office & front office when COVID hit.

Suppose they've cheaped out on GM hires, but at least 2 of those were recommended by people they trusted and this last 1 was based on their own 1st hand interactions with him.

But would be mildly surprised if a majority of that cap space gets spent on FAs.  Expect they've got a bunch of it penciled in on raises for guys that are currently here.

Bolded would be the worry with Jack, too. 

15 minutes ago, SDS said:

The invisible piece that came with the trade is future cap space. So make sure you include that in your evaluation.

regardless of the past 11 years, the team is at where they’re at. This either makes sense for the current team is constructed or it doesn’t.

That's one of the questions I have for the board.  Spotrac has the Sabres currently at $21M in cap space.

Can the Sabres find a player to "buy" this year?  They got $42M as it stands next year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/buffalo-sabres/cap/

51 minutes ago, calti said:

sounds about fair for the situation ..Vegas is the one taking a risk....Altho is it wrong to hope that Eichel has a great career and the surgery goes beautifully?

VGK GM: I am taking an awful risk, Eichwalker. This had better work.

(In 2024 Stanley Cup Final the VGK Death Star explodes under the intense attack of wave after wave of small, fast Sabres snub fighters.)

31 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Elite goaltending.  As Hasek and Miller proved, that one position can steal you a lot of games and cover up a lot of flaws.

This. The goalie is the QB equivalent.   If you give up 30 shots/game, over 6 games -- all else being equal -- 

Hasek (.926*) gives up 12.6 goals. Miller (.916*) gives up 15.2 goals. Hutton (.902*) gives up 17.6 goals.

With a Hasek, scoring 2 goals/game gets you a loser point at worst. With Hutton, you need to score almost 3 goals/game to get the same loser point. 

*(Using Sabres career save percentages)

• Like (+1) 2

With this trade we're back to where we should have been in 2015 before we traded all our draft picks. I may be too optimistic but a future lineup of and you can mix and match them anyway you want

1. Skinner-Cozens-Tuch
  2. Asplund-Mitts-Olofsson
  3. JJ Peterka-Krebs-Quinn
  4. Grigs-Thompson-Okposo/???
  5. Power-Dahlin
  6. Samuelsson-Joki
  7. Johnson-???

With Rosen, the Russian kids, Weissbach, 3 1sts plus a high 2nd rounder in next years draft plus a boatload of available money to spend, the future looks pretty bright to me. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Bolded would be the worry with Jack, too. 

But how much more would've come back with a salary retain for a currently broken Eichel?

Obviously, we'll never know, but doubt it would've been much more.  And if there was much more of a return, essentially making Skinner an $11-$14MM/yr player could really start hampering this team those final 2 years of Jack's current contract.

The Pegulas aren't spending money this year, because all that does is take them further from at least 1 of the 2 goals for this season (the 2nd of which is still unstated but obvious).  Though we've both made the case that not bringing in a goalie that can hold up this entire season could put the stated goal in jeopardy.  (But that's the only additional money that could reasonably have been expected to get spent this year.)

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, jsb said:

With this trade we're back to where we should have been in 2015 before we traded all our draft picks. I may be too optimistic but a future lineup of and you can mix and match them anyway you want

1. Skinner-Cozens-Tuch
  2. Asplund-Mitts-Olofsson
  3. JJ Peterka-Krebs-Quinn
  4. Grigs-Thompson-Okposo/???
  5. Power-Dahlin
  6. Samuelsson-Joki
  7. Johnson-???

With Rosen, the Russian kids, Weissbach, 3 1sts plus a high 2nd rounder in next years draft plus a boatload of available money to spend, the future looks pretty bright to me. 

True.  The FUTURE looks bright.  Just like it did at the end of the year for the past 7 or so years.  But, around here it seems we've been living an endless loop of an old CCR tune, "someday never comes."

Edited by Taro T
Friggin' autocorrect
  • Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The internet is also HEAVILY divided on this with *plenty* thinking the Sabres didn't get enough, which should be mentioned in this context. Plenty of the returns being bandied about probably DID require salary dump/retention, which they neglected to do. 

51 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Yup, we'll have to see. What I was pointing out though is that Adams didn't really "prove the internet wrong". The return doesn't have a strong consensus one way, or the other. 

What I was pointing out was not that Adams “won”, more that he pretty much accomplished what he set out to do.

Whether that equates to a win is the story we will watch unfold over the next few years.

34 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Not that I am aware of. Sabres prospect pool even with Krebs is 100% not #1. LA Kings are easily still better. 

They were. But the ranking was “young players” not just “prospects” and included guys like Dahlin and Cozens.

Krebs is a huge add, and that ranking didn’t include the leaps Quinn, Peterka, Levi, and to a lesser extent Power have shown early.

I’m going to stand by my take, they have among the best collections of young talent in the league. Let’s hope this time they become something.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

But how much more would've come back with a salary retain for a currently broken Eichel?

Obviously, we'll never know, but doubt it would've been much more.  And if there was much more of a return, essentially making Skinner an $11-$14MM/yr player could really start hampering this team those final 2 years of Jack's current contract.

The Pegulas aren't spending money this year, because all that does is take them further from at least 1 of the 2 goals for this season (the 2nd of which is still unstated but obvious).  Though we've both made the case that not bringing in a goalie that can hold up this entire season could put the stated goal in jeopardy.  (But that's the only additional money that could reasonably have been expected to get spent this year.)

I think the chances it may have altered the return significantly does bear conversation:

And if he's ending conversations "quickly", I'd imagine even Kevyn Adams doesn't know exactly what could have been had 

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

What I was pointing out was not that Adams “won”, more that he pretty much accomplished what he set out to do.

Whether that equates to a win is the story we will watch unfold over the next few years.

They were. But the ranking was “young players” not just “prospects” and included guys like Dahlin and Cozens.

Krebs is a huge add, and that ranking didn’t include the leaps Quinn, Peterka, Levi, and to a lesser extent Power have shown early.

I’m going to stand by my take, they have among the best collections of young talent in the league. Let’s hope this time they become something.

75% completion, with the acknowledgment that "first" has a TON of range, then yes

• Thanks (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Thorny said:

75% completion, with the acknowledgment that "first" has a TON of range, then yes

75 per cent on the 4 1sts.

But he also checked off his following goals in the trade: avoiding retention; avoiding cap dumps, avoiding conditional picks, and adding legit top 6 (centre) prospect.

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Do we buy this?

Every indication we got was the difference between "more or less" was named Peyton Krebs.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.